Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Why does my headset feel loose?
  • thered

That’s what ti feels like anyway but I have tightened and the same amount of play still persists. What else can it be?

My immediate thought was fork seals, any other possibilities?

jekkyl

brake caliper or disc a little loose?

jamesoz

Fork bushes? Steerer too long?

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

on my gfs bike the brake padshave a little movement, and that feels similar to a loose headset

scotroutes

Needs another spacer under the top cap?

cp

assuming disc brakes, brake pads usually have a little bit of clearance in the caliper front-back which can feel like a loose headset – the pad moves slightly with the disc when you put the brake on. Not noticeable in normal use but it is when doing the ‘headset looseness’ test.

legend
    Free Member

Cups could be moving within the frame

deadkenny
    Free Member

What are you tightening?

i.e. should be loosen stem bolts, then tighten top cap bolt to draw it up. Then tighten stem bolts. Make sure it’s all drawn together properly.

If still an issue then the immediate suspect would be the headset bearings, or at least one of them. Do you get grinding sounds or feel when rotating the bars?

Fork – grab the lower and upper and check for play (don’t grab the arch). If there’s play then likely fork bushing worn. Unlikely to be seal.

Another is brake calliper mount or brake disc loose.

Headset though, just apply front brake (not rear) and gently rock bike back and forwards and look closely at the headset or use fingers to feel if it’s moving. If it does, then yes it’s the headset.

buckster
    Free Member

As scotroutes, are you tightening the top cap fully prior to the stem bolts? Is there sufficient clearance between the top of the fork steerer and the top cap to allow it to bite down?

lyrikal
    Free Member

Any of the above but I’ve also had a rear shock bushing needing replaced that displayed similar symptoms, a bit of movement could be felt in the frame.

thered

Thanks all

I’m following DeadKenny’s instructions and it’s not the distance between top cap and steerer.

I haven’t checked the brake caliper and rotor so will check them tonight. Then I’ll check the fork bushes.

Thanks again

gummikuh

Better way to check maybe is to turn front wheel 90 degrees and see if problem persists?

gummikuh

Better way to check maybe is to turn front wheel 90 degrees and see if problem persists?

hooli

If you turn the bars 90 degrees and rock the bike again, it rules out brake pad movement in the calipers. Obviously you will feel a bit more tyre movement but this should be easy to separate from headset movement.

carlos
    Free Member

Try checking for movement by pushing the bike gently against a solid object as per Deadkenny, but WITHOUT using the brakes. This eliminates the pads, rotor, caliper and oddly tyre tread flex.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Any of the above but I’ve also had a rear shock bushing needing replaced that displayed similar symptoms, a bit of movement could be felt in the frame.

This if it’s a F\S frame

jonba
    Free Member

Some forks have (IME) a small amount of play that can feel like a loose heaset. My RS ones do unless I lock them out.

To see if it is the headset I find putting the bike on its back wheel, grabing the bars and for crown before giving it a wiggle better than other methods.

Otherwise – brakes, brak pads, forks, QR, hub, bushings/bearings could be a cause.

mildbore

Could be any of the above, my bet is fork bushings. One possibility not mentioned is front wheel bearings

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Why does my headset feel loose?’ is closed to new replies.