Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Why Does My Dog Smell So good?
  • walleater

She’s two years old. Really healthy. Eats a mix of raw food and vegetables blah blah blah…. So I’m maybe not surprised that she doesn’t smell disgusting. But despite not bathing her quite as often as we should, she smells like maybe baby powder or perfume! I’ve been around enough dogs and not noticed this before. Is this fairly normal and I’ve just not realized for all these years?!

anagallis_arvensis

Maybe your sense of smell is kackered?

mt
    Free Member

Because you love her/it. Go steady you could get arrested 🙂

boxelder

You don’t also have a baby who sheds hair and licks your face do you?

eskay

She smells good because she has a nose.

if your dog had no nose, it would smell awful.

mattbee

Have a good whiff of her paws. They will smell like sweaty feet, but in a nice way.

duntstick
    Free Member

Do you shake and vac? Not normal for dogs to smell nice as proven by my border collie, which used to delight in smearing cowsh!t from muzzle to tail.

anagallis_arvensis

Fox shit is best!

loddrik
    Free Member

Most dogs stink. You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise. Granted a few breeds don’t but most do. You’re probably just used to the smell.

slackalice
    Free Member

… she smells like maybe baby powder or perfume!

I’m hoping your wife isn’t particularly hirsute and you’re not easily confused?

Or offended!! 😉

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I suspect the answer may be that your dog is healthy and doesn’t have an oily coat so it isn’t smelly and that the perfume smell may be related to someone who smells nice having cuddled your dog, or it’s rolled in the fresh laundry and picked up the fabric conditioner smell.
    Our dog isn’t smelly either (smooth collie / spaniel cross) but she smells like a dog, in the same way that a clean person smells like a person, not an objectionable smell in any way but just warm and alive. On the other hand our female cat smells like biscuits, which is weird because she licks herself clean and her breath smells like fish. I have no idea how that works.

rocketman
    Free Member

our female cat smells like biscuits

Ours smells of wood and grass. Its breath is always cold and smells faintly of dribble

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Used to have 2 dogs; front and back they were a bit stinky but one of them always had a nice earthy(ish)smell round her neck and ears. I liked it. I may be wrong but I think female dogs don’t have such a strong odour as male dogs.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s a dog? That smell reminds me of a pussy I once knew – but it got run over 🙁

mt
    Free Member

This thread could go the wrong way.

rc200f8
    Free Member

My border collie stinks at the moment, seems to be wearing a fox turd in her right ear!

mrben100
    Free Member

We’ve got a dog, he smells like a dog (and that’s on a good day), you lot are weird.

Thread useless without pics! 😀

MasterOfNone
    Free Member

My dog is only small, smells equally bad which ever end happens to be facing you and has the pervading overall odour of a slightly decomposed gerbil…

MrsToast
    Free Member

Benny hasn’t parped in our presence during the two and a half years he’s lived with us. He normally smells pretty good, but he gets washed every two weeks minimum, with intermediate grooming sprays and brushes.

He smells less good when he’s been out in the rain and not dried properly (which normally leads to an early bath), and when he’s been rolling in fox poo.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

There is nothing like the smell behind a dog’s ears. It’s wonderful. Try it.

And yet when he comes out of the river he smells like an old carpet.

Weird.

walleater

Did someone say pics?

It was my wife that noticed it a while back. I thought she was mad but finally relented and gave her a sniff (the dog, not the wife…).

She does occasionally go to doggy daycare and they spray the dogs when they leave, but it’s a different smell. Maybe the smell just changes after a while. There’s no strong smelling stuff in the house, including sheets etc. I’ve just given her another sniff and while not as strong, there’s definitely a pleasant waft about her….

busydog
    Free Member

mrben100–what kind of dog is that?

scruff
    Free Member

Are you still smoking weed? It dulls the senses innit.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Gutted, I thought this was going to be about a new Moby greatest hits album. 🙁

skiprat
    Free Member

We use ‘shake and vac’ type stuff every now and again to stop the house smelling like a dogs bed. Our old boy (who normally smells like hes rotting on the inside) just sleeps on the carpet thats been dusted and picks the smell up from there.

He smells like he shampoos every day now.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Two retrievers chez THM

The golden smells like a dog!! Nice if you like dogs. MIL (who lives nearby) likes to have him washed properly quite often. Makes him smell a bit too perfumed for my liking.
    The Flatcoat is completely different. Very light smell rather like a freshly cleaned shotgun. Amazing smell. I could whiff him all day.

Love them both.

BearBack
    Free Member

If you bathe her at all.. then its the shampoo you are smelling.

Even the lightest lather of doggy shampoo in the wash down bucket after muddy rides leaves my doggy smelling exactly like that for a couple of days.

Takes a while for it to come out particularly as if she swims.. she stays wet in her undercoat for a couple of days too!

kudos100
    Free Member

Gutted, I thought this was going to be about a new Moby greatest hits album.

Dammit too slow.

DezB
    Free Member

There is nothing like the smell behind a dog’s ears. It’s wonderful. Try it.

Nah, its the paws. Especially puppy paws. Lovely smell 😀

mrben100
    Free Member

busydog – Member
    mrben100–what kind of dog is that?

POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Apologies, i’m a lunchtime/evening lurker.

Its an italian spinone.

Any excuse

Edit: sorry for massive pic

flap_jack
    Free Member

one westie one scottie. Westie smells horrid, scottie smells sweet. same diet, same lives, no idea why they’re different.

warton
    Free Member

She smells good because she has a nose.

if your dog had no nose, it would smell awful.

you have butchered one of my favourite ever jokes. Shame on you.

For the purists:

“My dogs got no nose”
    “Your dogs got no nose? How does it smell”
    “Awful”

brakes
    Free Member

we had Westies when I was a kid, they smelled like Timotei.
    my Mum used to bath them a lot.

my Nan’s dog smelled like fish.
    we used to call her Fishy Penny.

you’re probably accustomed to your dog’s stench because your whole house smells of it and only notice the nice part of the smell.

jock-muttley

Our Australian Kelpie smells really nice too. It’s clearly “her” smell, hard to describe, just smells nice, she’s never been bathed in two years but she regularly swims in the sea at least once a week.

The lab on the other hand….. 😐

rc200f8
    Free Member

IMG_0872 by i.mack, on Flickr

My stinking Sky, minus her decorative ear turd!

GTDave
    Free Member

Our Labradoodle has no discernible smell, bar his paws, which smell of digestives!
    Hence he is often referred to as Mr Biscuits.

rickon
    Free Member

My dogs feet smell like Doritos when shes been asleep. Its gorgeous.

My other collie smells like baby powder, and then sometimes like farts.

Mostly baby powder. But he does love muddy puddles.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Why Does My Dog Smell So good?’ is closed to new replies.