Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Why does my chain keep dropping?
  • Simonpieman
    Free Member

As above, RF narrow wide, SRAM x9 type 2, full suspension, absolutely fine until I rode the qecp Enduro and lost my chain on nearly every single run.

I have searched and there are plenty of problems with x9 rear mechs losing tension but mine still feels ok I think. I can’t move it either forward or back by hand no idea if it is sticking during riding….

Anybody got any other ideas or know how to work out if the mech is not working?

andysredmini
    Free Member

In my experience even on very rough terrain a narrow wide ring doesn’t need a clutch mech to prevent chain dropping.
    Have a look how worn your chain and rings are first.

Andy

neilwheel
    Free Member

The clutch should only affect the cage moving forwards, not in both directions.

Pull the cage forward with the chain, you should feel the clutch working. Let go of the slack and the cage should spring back and take up the slack.

scottfitz
    Free Member

On my full suss I run a top guide too at QECP. High speed over the roots can make the can fall of the the suspension is active. Also how long is you chain? Put it on the largest cog on the cassette and post a pic

uselesshippy
    Free Member

The chainring being worn makes a big difference. Alternatively, the clutch on the mech might be worn/broken. My shimano mech kept dropping the chain, took it apart, put back together properly, sorted.

hatter

An upper guide is a good idea on a full suss as the chain tension will be changing and the chain’ll be coming from different angles which just makes retention a bit harder.

On a hardtail it’s a different matter I’ve been running Gamut TTR ring with an XTR Shadow+ for 6 months now without a single dropped chain.

If I was racing I’d run an upper guide anyway for insurance though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Why does my chain keep dropping?’ is closed to new replies.