Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Why does maturer cheese not melt? (Properly)
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Flame me as much as you like but I do like a touch of seriously strong cheddar on toast, however had some really good proper mature cheddar last week and yes I heathenly decided to have a smidge grilled on a crumpet. Why doesn’t it melt or “brown” like a cheaper cheddar. Almost curdles. Salt content?

molgrips
    Free Member

It melts for me. In fact, I loathe the way that cheap cheese turns to plasticy goo; decent cheese separates slightly and is delicious.

It does brown if you leave it long enough of course.

DrP

I looked into this because Parmesan doesn’t really melt

It’s basically the differing fat content..

DrP

bigyinn
    Free Member

Mmmm cheese on toast, I’d make some now, but we’ve got no cheese in the house. Oh the shame.

scaled
    Free Member

I have cheese, but no bread.

I might have to hit 24 hour tescos

TheBrick
    Free Member

what kind if human being has no cheese in the house?

welshfarmer

My partner is a cheesemaker (she is blessed 🙂 )

I will ask her tomorrow

RobHilton
    Free Member

My partner is a cheesemaker (she is blessed 🙂 )

It’s not meant to be taken literally – it refers to any manufacturer of dairy products.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Some types do.

bearnecessities

It’s the whey you grill it.

BenjiM

Fat content and moisture content and acidity generally has something to do with it. Also depends how high the curd was scolded. When we make paneer for example, we heat the milk up to 93 degrees before adding citric acid to the milk to curdle it. The resulting cheese doesn’t melt and that’s why it’s great for cooking with as a meat alternative. Other acid cheeses such as crumbly Lancashire and Cheshire which we also make are poor melters. Lower acid cheese such as our Derby and Creamy Lancashire are good melters. Our Creamy is great for Lasagne as an Mozzarella alternative. Welshfarmer who does your wife make cheese for? Yourself or someone else? There’s been a few new welsh cheesemakers pop up in recent years, we deal with quite a few of them.

DrP – Parmigiano Reggiano and Grana Padano will melt quite happily if you grate them finely and try not to heat them to quickly. Grating either of them straight into a bolognese sauce is worth a try.

Pigface
    Free Member

Bravo bearnecessities 😆

DrP

Sometimes I like foreign cheese. Sometimes I like cheese that was gruyère.

DrP

edhornby

I camembert the way these threads descend into a pun-fest, I comte believe we’re doing it again

muggomagic

This drives me emmental! You Gouda grill it slowly. If you’re still not sure Comte mine and I’ll show you how it’s done.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yay for the Welsh cheese makers you can buy in the supermarkets here:

Cadog
    Snowdonia
    Dragon
    Colliers

They are all awesome, but Colliers – omfg, that is the best cheddar I have ever had.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Pretty in-depth investigation by a burger and cheese enthusiast here.

Basically, you have to heat it up very Caerphilly.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

*Sigh* I see the puns are Stilt-on.

Cougar

Welshfarmer who does your wife make cheese for? Yourself or someone else?

If it’s for someone else then it’s nacho cheese…

Pigface
    Free Member

molgrips +1

Colliers is great cheese.

theotherjonv

Collier’s is very nice, but if that’s the best cheddar you’ve ever had you need to get to a proper cheesemonger and taste some hand produced stuff.

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh sorry should I of said the best pre packaged super market cheddar? 😉

toby1

Oh sorry should I of said the best pre packaged super market cheddar?

Not niche enough – take your cheese questions elsewhere!

theotherjonv

In bike terms – Cathedral city is the Trek / Specialized. perfectly good at what it does but just a bit mleh. Colliers is like Orange – still bulk produced but with something a bit more about it.

On here of all places, i’d have thought we’d embrace the beauty of a piece of cheese that is handmade in a shed somewhere outside Yeovil, wrapped in a piece of muslin, left on a shelf for a year and a half and then eaten. The Joneses of the cheese world.

Nomnomnom.

bearnecessities

What’s an STWers favourite cheese? 650brie.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Why does maturer cheese not melt? (Properly)’ is closed to new replies.