Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Why does having 2 world champions not make 'the news'?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Just sat watching BBC news and no mention of the fact the UK has 2 new world mtb champions (including a 1-2-3 in the women’s DH and a 1-2 in the mens)
    Why can’t they even mention it?

rene59
    Free Member

Not enough people would give a shit that’s why.

scotroutes

+1

TBH, as a regular cyclist, I don’t really GAS either. It’s as far removed from my interests as tiddlywinks.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Niche sport.. Sky arent involved either

jam-bo

Because 99.9% of the population couldn’t give a shit.

stevied
    Free Member

Just think it would take all of 5 seconds to mention…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Downhill is mainly a chav sport so mainstream news channels aren’t interested unless somebody dies, a bomb goes off or there some political spin involved.

tinybits
    Free Member

Yep, same reason the fact we’ve got multiple world gliding champions over the last 15 odd years is virtually unreported.
    But of course, you knew about them right?

grahamt1980

A chav sport?
    You what?

stevied
    Free Member

@tinybits..didn’t know that but would it please me if I’d heard it on the news? Why, yes, it would..

MrSmith
    Free Member

Not strictly true Sky are a major sponsor of British cycling, when you represent your country it is under the national body (British cycling)
    So he has Sky on the jersey.
    Sky pro cycling is a cycling team sponsored by Sky and not part of British cycling.
    HTH

stevied
    Free Member

Downhill is mainly a chav sport so mainstream news channels aren’t interested unless somebody dies, a bomb goes off or there some political spin involved.

Hmmmm

cookeaa

Downhill is mainly a chav sport so mainstream news channels aren’t interested

Yeah! It’s nothing like football with it’s gentlemanly image and teams choc full of old Etonians…

I was st a DH race today most people’s bikes were worth more than my monthly pre-tax wages, and everyone was polite and pleasant, bloody Chavs!

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Trolls are out today

Klunk
    Free Member

they don’t do themselves any favours… gave up trying to find the results, if they can’t be bothered publish the results themselves why would anyone else be interested ?

shifter
    Free Member

Thanks for posting the result in a thread title, muppet.

njee20
    Free Member

Just think it would take all of 5 seconds to mention…

what about the 50 subsets of niche sports we’re good at? Give 30 seconds to each and you quickly get a long list of stuff that no one cares about.

Like others here I don’t care that we’ve got two world champs really. Good for them, but I’m not hugely fussed.

Coyote
    Free Member

It would be great to see more minority sport on mainstream. Didn’t even know gliding was a sport!

nickdavies

You’d think there had been enough moaning about spoilers on here recentley to stop people posting obvious thread titles…. There’s a whole thread for this nicely marked with no spoilers in the title.

FFS…

(It’ll be on the bbc news site under cycling, along with everything else that’s not Froome or Wiggo winning the TDF)

cookeaa

(It’ll be on the bbc news site under cycling, along with everything else that’s not Froome or Wiggo winning the TDF)

This x100. Half the people I work with spend their lunch surfing the BBC sport website looking at the stuff they’re interested in. Not making it onto the TV bulletins doesn’t mean that it’s not news. It’s just not got much appeal to the great unwashed… So what?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

I don’t see why it should be on bbc.

Main stream sport is rubbish and corrupt.

I like the whole Word Cup from XCE through to DH. Professional enough, live coverage and not enough financial interest to make it corrupt.

I absolutely could not give a toss that joe bloggs doesn’t know about it. Cycling is a participation sport but I do enjoy watching the best in the world.

Why does it matter that its not announced to the world? Those that care will know and the rest of the public can continue with the rest of the sheep.

Cycling is one of those sports that you just enjoy as a child that grows into a passion in adult life.

Top pros make enough cash to live on and the sport stays at just the right level. With media attention comes money and money always leads to more corruption.

Its just at the right level for me

MrSmith
    Free Member

No mention of Dame Sarah Storey Sophie Thornhill & Rachel James, Neil Fachie & Pete Mitchell or Liam Phillips winning cycling golds either? Don’t see why a downhill cyclist should be mentioned on the news and not them?

chakaping
    Free Member

Serious answer – The news infrastructure doesn’t really allow for outlets to report something like this so quickly after the event.

The BBC certainly wouldn’t have a correspondent at Hafjell on the offchance and while the Norwegian national press agency* might have been there, its report would probably have to filter through AP before it got to UK newsrooms.

I’d definitely expect Welsh regional TV to pick up on Manon tomorrow, not sure about Gee since he’s an English ex-pat living in Wales.

*I admit haven’t checked if there actually is one

brant
    Free Member

Just sat watching BBC news and no mention of the fact the UK has 2 new world mtb champions (including a 1-2-3 in the women’s DH and a 1-2 in the mens)
    Why can’t they even mention it?

It’s not even news on this site.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

10 points to shifter for getting the first ‘spoiler’ whinge in.

Boo hoo

Northwind

nickdavies – Member

It isn’t… And OK, maybe they need a little time to respond, but the world champs doesn’t make the news site at all. Apparently Geraint Thomas’s wedding plans are bigger news.

chakaping
    Free Member

Top pros make enough cash to live on and the sport stays at just the right level. With media attention comes money and money always leads to more corruption.

Its just at the right level for me

I can see where you’re coming from, but it’s a shame more of the women can’t afford to go full-time pro – which might level the playing field a bit.

honourablegeorge

cloudnine – Member

They sponsor the British riers

milky1980
    Free Member

Manon got a 30 second mention on the Welsh news.

steve_b77
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    Because 99.9% of the population couldn’t give a shit.

I think you’re being generous there

Just like Match Angling doesn’t make the news and there’s numerous multiple Individual World Champions and Team Titles bagged by Team England, it’s not mainstream spectator sport so the general media isn’t arsed

MSP

The british cycling press office should be phoning up all the news sites telling them that Britain had a 1-2-3 in the women’s and a 1-2 in the mens with the second place guy probably breaking his ankle 20 yards froom the line.

It’s easily worth a story on most sports news. But as per the whole uci, mountain biking is a poor third cousin, so british cycling will follow suit and not bother, after all they have Froome and Cavendish not winning today to crow about.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Fair point chakaping

cloudnine
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

The british cycling press office should be phoning up all the news sites telling them that Britain had a 1-2-3 in the women’s and a 1-2 in the mens with the second place guy probably breaking his ankle 20 yards froom the line.

Yes, and sending a release to PA and the newspaper sport desks.

Maybe they did, maybe they had their hands full with the Tour of Britain?

sportsmatch
    Free Member

Manon made bbc Wales news and old clip from Cwmcarn

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

‘chav sport’

that’s really sad you’d say that. are you butthurt because the kids make you look like a clutz on the descents?

MSP

Doesn’t even look like the results are up on the UCI website yet. I think all 7 brit men made it into the top 20.

chav sport

I think he was commenting on the BBC sport selection, once you get past the top three or four sports, they does seem to over represent “posh” sports.

cookeaa

The other thing to consider is actually just how well covered most MTB disciplines are by the myriad of dedicated websites out there. If you want to read about the world championships you already know where to go or you can watch the whole thing on the redbull player. The Internet was pretty much made for the dissemination of mountain biking information and news…

Are you perhaps worried OP, that UK DH is in some way under funded, under-promoted and struggling to find talented riders just because auntie beeb isn’t so bothered? Only the WC season just gone and the race results this weekend in Norway sort of suggests the opposite… IMO

garage-dweller

But if two cyclists don’t use a cycle path and ride on the road instead their failure to pay road tax is almost certainly national news. That’s why they jumped the red lights so they could see themselves on the telly. 😉

roger_mellie

It’s not even news on this site.

Maybe that’s because its Sunday and the folk who run this website are enjoying their day off?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Why does having 2 world champions not make 'the news'?’ is closed to new replies.