Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Why does Google (sort of) think I'm in Saudi Arabia?
  • johnners
    Free Member

If I open a search window from the google apps icons on my homepage it defaults to google.com.sa, including a search box that wants to fill from right to left. Switching input to English the location at the bottom of the page gives the UK, if I don’t switch it’s in Arabic so I’ve no idea what it says. Typing “where am I” shows a map of the UK but starting Google Maps brings up Saudi Arabia as a start point.

WTF.

MSP

Do you use any kind of vpn service? Maybe have hola installed.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Well, are you in Saudi Arabia? I’d check that first.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RobHilton
    Free Member

I searched for “pub near me” yesterday and got the locations of bars in Massachusetts. I’m 60k north of Athens…

johnners
    Free Member

I do use a VPN but it has my origin as Southampton (the shame!), I’ve tried with VPN off and the Saudi thing still happens.

And I’ve just checked out the window, it’s a bit drizzly and about 10 degrees, I’m probably not in Saudi.

oldnpastit

What’s your IP geolocation say?

https://www.iplocation.net/

Sometimes their database is messed up.

Alternatively, you really are in Saudi Arabia, and it’s raining there. To be on the safe side I would try finding a bar and seeing if they will sell alcohol to you openly or not.

johnners
    Free Member

iplocation says I’m in Chatham, if I was after a good night out I’d rather be in Saudi. The bar thing seems a bit high risk, what with the floggings and amputations and such.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Planet X Website always seems to think I’m in either UAE or Argentina. Their geo location about as accurate as their seat tube machining…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Why does Google (sort of) think I'm in Saudi Arabia?’ is closed to new replies.