Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Why does everyone think kona are crap?
  • juan
    Free Member

what's wrong with churning out the same bike each year with slightly different spec if it performs well. Show's they got it right first time.

Nothing if you like riding bike. Everything if you just like buying them and taking a picture in front of your house.

i've ridden a few faux-bar konas, and the brake jack is horrific.

I was going to comment on riding skills but I won't. However one word for that: D.O.P.E. (you can even be pedantic and point out it's not a word).

Problem is, to me, is in the spec when bought new, off the peg so to speak. They do seem to compromise on cheaper components than some other brands. However, I'm now in the process of combining 2 bikes into one and when I've sold the surplus I'll be in the market for another Kona. I love 'em.

Yes as said kona are designed for people who ride bike. As much as it hurts to admit it, while riding component get used/broken/trashed and so.
    So yes you'll only have a LX rear mech rather than a XT one (and I am willing to bet a waxing of my crack that no one on here will be able to tell the difference in shifting during a blind test) which lets face it, it's going to make a hell lot of difference when you're going to bash it on a bit rock.
    My gf's bike have some old 7 speed sram shifters and a deore rear mech, and lets face it, it shifts very well, actually it might even shift as well as my LX/xtr rapid rise combo.

Once again the "lower spec" argument is all about being a ponce. I'll be the first to admit I like nice and shiny kit. But if I had to buy a bike off the peg, how I feel when I sit on it will be my first choice. And you just cna't beat kona for that.

Woody
    Free Member

It's a shame because they had a great (thoroughly deserved) reputation. I'm sure Kona is making more money and selling more bikes than ever but purely out of snob value (I'm not ashamed to admit it) I would never consider buying a bike from Halfords. I'm sure Kona won't lose sleep over that 🙄

My old Stuff frame is a keeper as it appears to be indestructable, and depending on the build, is versatile enough to cope with anything.

juan
    Free Member

wow, juan. respect.

….. but watch your third person 's'
    D'ooh
    :'(

juan
    Free Member

seth-enslow666 – Member

I like Juans rant. I really do think thats the caae with MTB riding these days.

Cough cough cough "I like Juan's rant."
    Sorry I couldn't resist 😀

oldfart

If only they revived the Ti hardtail .Anyone got connections to Sandvik ?How about a campaign .Bring back the Kahuna or the Hei Hei .Still got a pic of the Score from about 2001 .Out of bounds Ti h/t .Ahead of their time i think .Could have rivalled the Hummer for sure .Why oh why didn't they make it ?
    BTW i've got a Four Supreme and it does me fine .Will be interesting to compare when i get my Spicy in May though .
    Finally why the hell did i sell my 97 Caldera frame !

Hadge
    Free Member

It's sad but tastes have moved on and classics like the Joe Murray Kona's and GT's sublime old school Zaskar are lost in a time warp. We remember how good they were and unforunately there are bikes equal and better now plus they cost less than what Kona and GT are offering. I had a 95 Dome and an Zaskar and loved them both but I've owned and ridden much better since then.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Reluctant
    Free Member

I know where my loyalties lie! My first ever proper MTB was a 1990 Lava Dome, and since then I've owned and loved lots of Konas. It's true to say that VFM suffered at one stage, but look at the 2010 range and I think you'd be impressed, they've come right up with the best of 'em. This year, I signed up as a Kona dealer – first time I've been in a dealership since 2002 and things have really changed for the better. The other factor for me was that Kona are out of Halfords for good. There may be some old stock in branches, but Paligap are no longer supplying them – which will be good for the brand in the long run. Did I mention that i'm a Kona dealer? 8)

tails
    Free Member

So seeing as you all love kona anyone wanna buy my kona cowan 2009 frame? 😀

I've never tried to sell it complete so it certainly is not the parts that are letting it down, anyway will have to wait now as I'm overseas from 7th, maybe I'll have better luck at the start of summer.

nickc

Because they're MOR production line frames. With low spec ( read heavy) components trading on a name they made in the 90's. And even then in their heyday they were nowt special. Someone mentioned Broadman bikes earlier? I bet halfords sell 2 of those to every one Kona

ahwiles
    Free Member

DOPE?

why should i have to bolt on an extra half-kilo of rattly bits and faff just to achieve something that comes as standard on bikes from Carrera / Boardman / Cotic / Ellsworth / Mondraker / Lapierre / Trek / Devinci etc?

The stinky 6 looks like a lot of fun, but it'll turn into a very heavy hard-tail when the back-brake is used.

riding skills nothing, is it too much to ask for my suspension to work when the brakes are on?

sorry, i'm just not up to your high riding standards.

X

Coyote
    Free Member

and I am willing to bet a waxing of my crack

If I hear or read a funnier thing today… LOL!!!

Hoptot
    Free Member

Another shameless plug. If anyone would like a Kona the frame from my 2005 Coiler if for sale in the classifieds:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/18-kona-coiler-frame

HTTP404
    Free Member

look at the 2010 range and I think you'd be impressed, they've come right up with the best of 'em. This year, I signed up as a Kona dealer – first time I've been in a dealership since 2002 and things have really changed for the better

Really?
    Look at the Cindercone (an iconic bike – I loved my 95 cindercone).

And compare the Cindercone 2010 RRP£770
    http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=cindercone

With last years Cindercone 2009 RRP£700
    http://bikes.konaworld.com/09/09_cindercone_en.cfm

A list of budget specced components with the only discernible difference 2009 from to 2010 being an improved fork which is easily accounted for by the price hike. So my question is where is the value? where is the change?

And when you consider the price of the Cindercone falls between the Boardman Team and Boardman Comp
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbht/ht_team.html
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbht/ht_comp.html

You can really see how little VFM you're getting with Kona.

And this is why Kona is Cr@p!

walleater

I can't help but think that people fuss over brake jack far too much. I did a couple of awesome runs down Mt Seymour the other day on my 10" travel linkage activated single pivot bike and I can't say that I noticed brake jack once, but then I don't see the point of grabbing fistfuls of rear brake anyway.

Coyote
    Free Member

Which runs walleater?

And when you consider the price of the Cindercone falls between the Boardman Team and Boardman Comp

Yeah, there's a thread somewhere else on here singing the praises of how hard-wearing and robust Boardman's are…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Not read rest of thread however I have a 1994 Kona Fire Mountain first ever MTB, bought in 1994 and LOVE IT still going strong … but not sure how much life is left in the old beast!

Chase
    Free Member

Tails – it's a jump bike and personally I think that will hold it back a little. 2 months ago I bought a bronze 2007 Cowan (hardtail) myself. A guy at works son was selling selling one which I had built up for him about two years earlier. Initially I thought about £400 as a selling price but when I started looking most jump bikes including Cowans were doing anything between £150 to £300 tops. We settled on £250. It has Fox Van R forks, Blackspire bars and stem, Hayes 9s and a few other reasonable spec bits. I still feel like I robbed him a little but he'd 've got less on Ebay i'm sure.
    It's a cracking bike though. Had a first real chance to rag it on the road yesterday evening and it's great. Corners well, wheelies and hops about easily. Pity the wife took a shine to it though – it's now a shared bike (she has put up half the cash).

walleater

Coyote, the usual Pingu / Pangor first and then Severed Dick.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

I'd buy a Kona frame as I love the ride and always have – on my third Kona now. Wouldn't buy a current one fully built though because, as many people say, some of their speccing of models is poor.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Yeah, there's a thread somewhere else on here singing the praises of how hard-wearing and robust Boardman's are…

This one? pmsl.
    Think we know where the error lies on that one.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

check out classifieds, a 15yr old low-end kona steel frame gets 5 "pics please" responses in the first hour or so.

I sold my 04 Coiler on fleabay for the full BIN price 4 days into a 30 day ad and had loads of people asking for extra pics. Kona lost their geek niche years ago when they went into halfords, and they are no longer good value (their UK market steel kiluaea is basic On One cromoly at Cotic 853 prices) but their XC frames of old are iconic, and they led the way in being associated with the whole freeride scene- dig out any early freeride vid and theyre all on Stinkys.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Why does everyone think kona are crap?’ is closed to new replies.