Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Why does everyone have to assume I was drunk?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m 3 weeks into a broken ankle. I’ve got a brace on my leg and I’ve not long been rid of the crutches.

Why-oh-why does EVERYONE assume you had to be drunk to injure yourself? It’s either the first or second question (after ‘what have you done?’)
    ‘Were you drunk?’
    ‘On the way back from the pub’
    ‘Heavy night was it?’

And, most oddly, down in the post office just now:

‘You should have had more water with it!’

Which took me a while to understand.

So why? Why do people assume this? Is that the extent of their knowledge of injuries? Is that all they ever DO??

trickydisco
    Free Member

were you drunk though? 😉

(predictable i know)

vinnyeh

your reputation precedes you? 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scu98rkr
    Free Member

how much had you drunk ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

your reputation precedes you?

Err, no. I don’t drink much at all. Never have really, all my life.

My rep is for injuring myself in stupid or dumbass situations, which this was!

how much had you drunk ?

It was a Moday evening and I don’t think any alcohol had passed my lips for 3 days….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Did you trip up on a discarded bottle of beer?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Did you trip up on a discarded bottle of beer?

See, that would be funny. I might try that.

grum
    Free Member

You look like an alkie?

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Questions abt your drunken state reminds me of one that I abhor which I often get asked currently…Were you trying to get pregnant? To which I think, ‘Do you really want to know abt my sex life?’

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s just a jokey comment to make. Hardly worth getting stressed about. It’s just something people say and clearly if thats the 2nd question after ‘what have you done’ then you need to brush up your answering skills.

brooess
    Free Member

People who do adventure sports are in a very significant minority so for most people, the only situation they’re likely to be in where they break something like a leg or ankle probably is being p*ssed. That’s their (limited) frame of reference.

When I broke my collarbone coming off my bike quite a few friends asked if I’d be giving up mountain biking. I think they saw it as an unnecessarily risky activity, so limited was their own experience of anything outside of work, social life, sleep…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

you need to brush up your answering skills.

Here’s an answer for you:

Go take a long walk off a short pier.

toby1

It’s my fault, I usually get injured when drunk, and they are all using me as a reference point!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sorry pp I don’t understand what you mean??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

People who do adventure sports are in a very significant minority so for most people, the only situation they’re likely to be in where they break something like a leg or ankle probably is being p*ssed. That’s their (limited) frame of reference

I think you’re right. It’s the same blinkered view you see (on here a lot actually) about motorcycling.

For the record I don’t rememeber getting this question when I:

Broke my wrist (tripped on a step)
    Broke a rib or two (MTB accident, hit tree)
    Mashed my face into a parked Citroen (cycling, not looking)
    Mashed my face into a parked BMW (cycling, big misjudgement)
    Cut my nose open (MTB + Welsh slate)
    etc….

🙂

Del

i can sympathise PP, unfortunately this is because i have some form for hurting myself while drunk…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

this is because i have some form for hurting myself while drunk…

Well don’t OK. You’re giving everyone else a bad rep. I’m just clumsy! 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I believe that the response is intended to be humourous.. friendly even..
    how very dare they…

I imagine the general concensus amongst these type of sheltered losers is that you’d have to be a bit of a twerp to be falling over and breaking yer leg after a few pints at your age..
    a bit of light hearted tongue in cheek mickey taking.. It could almost be taken as veiled compliment..

what bastards.. I’d just give ’em a good hard shove in the nose with the heel of your palm next time.. especially the elderly ones..
    scumbags the lot of ’em..

Stoner
    Free Member

It was a Moday evening and I don’t think any alcohol had passed my lips for 3 days….

you see what happens when you’re stone cold sober? You should get pissed more often, everyone knows drunk people bounce.

maccruiskeen

Tell people that you were 12 year, 3 months and 9 days sober the day you broke your ankle attempting to save a child from an oncoming tram/bull/combine harvester, but you failed gallantly but ultimately tragicly and very messily. In the hospital having your ankle reset you got a whif of the alcohol gel from the dispenses in the corridor, that afternoon you subsiquently you fell off the wagon and by teatime had sucked all the dispensers in A&E dry and had resorted to licking the sweat off tramps before you were forceable discharged. Within days you’d gotten addicted to online gambling and sold all your furniture to fund habitual collecting of pokemon cards and royal wedding sticker albums, just because you are hooked on the faint fumes of the printing ink when you open the packet. And that you haven’t eaten for days (aside from the gum thats in the sticker packs) or had clean underwear for weeks. Then ask for money, or a lend of some pants.

clubber
    Free Member

Since no one else is going to say it PP… It’s because of the way you look. Common perception is that if you have several piercings/tattoos and look like you’d probably take them on in a fight then you’re probably a hard drinker too. See Shiboleth for further details.

HTH 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Clubber,

look like you’d probably take them on in a fight

Really? Sorry, but you know me, meek and mild 🙂

Stoner, it’s a good point!

clubber
    Free Member

I didn’t say that’s how you actually are… just common perception…

You at the BBF this weekend?

philconsequence
    Free Member

Tell people that you were 12 year, 3 months and 9 days sober the day you broke your ankle attempting to save a child from an oncoming tram/bull/combine harvester, but you failed gallantly but ultimately tragicly and very messily. In the hospital having your ankle reset you got a whif of the alcohol gel from the dispenses in the corridor, that afternoon you subsiquently you fell off the wagon and by teatime had sucked all the dispensers in A&E dry and had resorted to licking the sweat off tramps before you were forceable discharged. Within days you’d gotten addicted to online gambling and sold all your furniture to fund habitual collecting of pokemon cards and royal wedding sticker albums, just because you are hooked on the faint fumes of the printing ink when you open the packet. And that you haven’t eaten for days (aside from the gum thats in the sticker packs) or had clean underwear for weeks. Then ask for money, or a lend of some pants

have you been spying on me?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You at the BBF this weekend?

Err no 🙁

Maybe next year!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i wrote a long comment about booze, but i deleted it all cos it’s not worth the hassle i’d no doubt get for it!

suffice to say, some people are a danger to themselves and others when they’ve had a drink. and some people assume that the former people are all of us.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahhhh. I’m never a danger to anyone else.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think people are just trying to have a laugh with you and be friendly.

coffeeking
    Free Member

So why? Why do people assume this? Is that the extent of their knowledge of injuries? Is that all they ever DO??

Yep, seems to be the main “fun” likely to cause an injury for about 90% of my friends. Most of them still look at me like I’m an idiot for still playing on a bike or think I’m some sort of oddity for not spending my weekends drunk.

But it could just be what chakaping says.

TooTall
    Free Member

Some people call it humour. Probably the people who ask me what the weather is like up there and other such rib-ticklers. Get over it. Have a beer.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh yeah, it’s not a bad thing really, I’m probably just noticing it more than I should, and it made me wonder is all 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I was having a chat with a lady in thepub last night and she was recounting with great humour how funny it was when she was so pissed she slipped and fell face first into a belfast sink requiring rhinoplasty to put things back where theyre meant to be. iphone photos and all.

And she was 40something.
    oh what a giggle.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Why does everyone have to assume I was drunk?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts