Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Why does drinking red wine make me hot?
  • I’m probably what would be classed as borderline social-alcoholic.

I don’t need a drink per-se, but drink way over the recommended amount and usually get restless in the evening without a drink.

To stay off the whisky today, I’ve had a bottle of red, drunk over the afternoon. However, as per usual (and not common with other drinks afaik), I tend to get really hot/flushed by my 4th glass, or so.

Not overly bothered, just wondered if there was a reason.

geoffj

What type oh ‘hot’?

Usually in my head/face – like a hot flush.

ton

blood pressure.

and all that money you like to brag about earning wont mean a thing when you pop your clogs…………… 😉

Pieface

A mild allergic reaction to something in the ingredients at a guess

Seems a reasonable answer ton, but why moreso with red wine and not other drinks?

I can down half a bottle of whisky and don’t experience it.

ton

tannins are know to cause high bp.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Possibly an adverse reaction to sulphur?

Not so much in white wines, and not in beer.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I don’t need a drink per-se, but drink way over the recommended amount and usually get restless in the evening without a drink.

admitting you have a problem is the first step.
    good luck with that.

http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/

organic355
    Free Member

Are you Asian?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

alcohol makes you vaso-dilate (blood moves to the surface of you body) which will cool you down, but make you “feel” hot.

Drac

Your not allergic to it. It’s just some alcoholic drinks make some peoples blood vessels dilate, this gives you the warm feeling.

Flaperon

Your GP might be worth visiting as a first port of call.

A bottle of wine drunk over an afternoon would have me – and many other people – unconscious. A tolerance to alcohol is a sign that you’re doing your body some serious harm.

TheFlyingOx

A bottle of wine spread out over an afternoon leading to unconsciousness is a sign that you’re really not cut out for alcoholic drinks.

Also, the slightest hint of anything alcoholic with a syrup-like texture (e.g. Southern Comfort, Drambuie) gives me the hot flushes/red cheeks. I guess some people are just intolerant to some kinds of alcohol.

epicyclo

organic355 – Member
    Are you Asian?

I have a Chinese friend who can’t drink red wine without that reaction. OK on other stuff.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s great to be judged by the EarnestTrackWorld members isn’t it? I LOVE some of the open mindedness on here. Str – it sounds like an allergy to something in the wine, maybe a preservative. I get the same thing when i drink cider. My brother gets a rash when he drinks Jennings ale strangely enough, it only happens when he drinks that though.

jp-t853

The Venetian’s say red wine warms the blood so it must be that.

peterfile
    Free Member

A bottle of wine drunk over an afternoon would have me – and many other people – unconscious.

yeah, if you are a 6 year old Aborigine.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think, like most of us here, I would be happily drunk after a bottle of red wine but certainly not unconscious. And I am a dreadful lightweight.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

A bottle of red tends to make Mrs Pop ‘hot’ too!

Keva
    Free Member

my Mum can’t drink shiraz, comes out in red blotches, any other grape is fine.

a friend of mine always gets a red face after about two pints of any beer /cider, then it goes away around the third pint.

Kev

derek_starship
    Free Member

A bottle of wine drunk over an afternoon would have me – and many other people – unconscious.

yeah, if you are a 6 year old Aborigine.

Ho ho – damn straight!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It would take more than one bottle of wine to make you ‘hot’ in my eyes

😉

glenh
    Free Member

I’m sure others have mentioned this, but red wine normally contains sulphites to sterilise it, which some people have a reaction to.

Try an organic red wine and see if it happens with that.
    <self-righteous> Oh, and drink less – after a while you get the same effect without as many side effects (eg hotness and dying)</self-righteous>

grievoustim
    Free Member

I have noticed that I can get a bit wheezy after drinking red sometimes – think I’m allergic to something in it which is a shame cos I like it

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Why does drinking red wine make me hot?’ is closed to new replies.