• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by rb.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Why does anyone ride snowdon ?
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

Had a walk up snowdon today with the missus and staggered by the amount of bikers on it (Llanberis path)

To be honest didn’t seem many riding up with most seemingly happy pushing up so not sure how much fun that would be

Coming down looks better but there were that many walkers my view was that I’m not sure the descent is even worth it!

So is it because it’s there or am I missing sumfink?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Walking up mountains is great, walking down them is not, so why not push a bike up? 🙂

Rangers Path is a top descent and attracts far fewer walkers than Llanberis even though it has much better scenery.

mttm
    Free Member

It’s a great descent, but you have to be done and dusted by 09:30.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Cos there’s a big slab on the side of the trail angled at 45 degree’s that you can wall ride to launch about 20ft further down the trail.
    And the middle bit of the rangers.
    And the rhydd ddu path.
    Just don’t go on a weekend.

saxabar
    Free Member

Following that line – why walk Snowdon on a weekend? Plenty of other similar sized mountains in the area without crowds. Still, a gorgeous day here in N. Wales so hope had you fun.

bland

is it not open access now, hence it being busy as its been off limits to bikes during the summer.

Dont do the bottom section of the rangers path though, veer off for the telegraph trail

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I get the early blast down before 9am – its just the question of the extra effort of pushing a bike up just to be frustrated to have a load of walkers in the way

Saxabar- the wife had never done snowdon so wanted to scalp ‘the daddy’- would have done the PYG track but were too late to park at pen y pas- great day though.,!

Houns

Push? Even my legs can manage to ride up it!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

There were some big units !!
    Saying that there is no way I could cycle all of the Llanberis path- some big rock steps and very loose steep bit after you go under the traintrack

fergal
    Free Member

Well you know those i climbed Ben Nevis T shirts, among podgy middle aged IT consultants, ” riding Snowdon” is the shit.

Ha ha love these urban myths, about peddaling up hill, even if they did ride it ALL, which they didn’t, it would be easier and quicker to walk!

GavinB

Why does anyone walk Snowdon?

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Done Snowdon a couple of times & prefer to set off early, so that I have set off back down before there are too many people about. Wouldn’t want to be descending when you’ve got walkers with their back to you.
    Descended Llanberis track – pretty rough the last time I rode it, although I’ve not been for a good few years.

Nipper99
    Free Member

@GavinB. To do the Horseshoe, esp in winter, to do the main ridge traverse from Bedgelert to Llanberis. Lots of reasons really.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why would anyone ride Snowdon
    It’s Fun
    On a busy day – sometimes you pick the wrong day in autumn was up there in January and it was dead.

Llanberris track is OK – weather was too bad to head over to ranger so we bailed from Cloggy station last time. Good fun blast.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Rangers path is my favourite UK descent.

Pop, you sound dull. Very dull.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Nice!!
    Why so?
    Is it because I don’t see the point of going down a trail liberally sprinkled with walkers as a reward for 2 hours of pushing your bike??

As I’ve said I understand doing first thing in the morning but not mid afternoon on a Sunday

Anyway I will let you get on with your rockstar lifestyle- god I wish I was you 😆

GavinB

To the OP: was the weather nice?

@nipper – not disagreeing with you, but just wondered if anyone would post such a topic title on ramblersUK.co.uk or redsocksRus.co.uk, as the OP did on a MTB site.

It’s outside of the voluntary access period, and whilst not ideal to descend any of the routes between 09:00 and 16:00 over a weekend (esp one with good weather), the sun was shining, the views would have been great, and it is a cracking descent (via Rangers esp). So, it’s hardly a biggie, is it?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

The weather was grand

Don’t get me wrong I’m not posting with any indignation I just wasvwonderingwhether the descent was worth the trawl up- especially as there was so much traffic

The rangers path descent looks a lot more fun but again I struggle to see why anyone would do it if likely to encounter some militant red socks as you blitz around a corner

lister

The downhill is worth it. But not during the day, even the morning. Every time I’ve done it we’ve headed up at 5pm in the summer, get to the top by about 7ish then down for steak and beers by 8pm.
    Any walkers around that late on are usually happy to see you, and you can give them a cheerful warning that you will catch them up soon, never had any problems, only amused, envious comments about the bikes.

It’s fun.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Lister- that sounds more like it!

To be fair I didn’t see any walkers getting bent out of shape but my view is that I would feel a bit awkward expecting large numbers to move out of my way so I can enjoy myself

Simon

Did it back in April. Set off mid morning.
    Rode/pushed up Llanberis, descended Ranger path/Telegraph.
    Walkers getting in the way weren’t a problem, riding buddies getting punctures every two minute were! 1st one was less than 100m off the summit.
    The walkers that we did encounter gave us plenty of encouragement. 8)

GavinB

@pop – not disagreeing with with either tbh. I’d never ride it at that time of day, as its a stupidly busy mountain at the best of times (esp from Llanberis up the main path).

Its a cracking descent down the Rangers path though – properly fun, fast and techy. Ideal conditions today.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would never ride down Llanberris, seems too boring. Sure there are parts that a good but I would much prefer the challenge of Rangers. Telegraph is fast but pretty boring tbh.

Are there any other ridable ways down? I would like to give them a go.

rb
    Free Member

Having just moved to the area I would like the challenge of riding snowdon, however the family view on doing it is somewhat different to mine!!.So I shall just get used to the area first but I have not ruled it out.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Why does anyone ride snowdon ?’ is closed to new replies.