Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Why does age reduce your alcohol tolerance?
  • scotabroad

(you can tell is peeing it down outside and I'm bored)

Now I do like a couple of beers occasionally, but I have cut out alcohol mid week altogether because it was reducing my sleep qualiy too much.

Even at weekends now a couple of beers and a few glasses of wine make me rough as 'owt the next day, not a hangover or anything but just not firing on all cylinders.

Is it just that I am getting older and wiser or is there a physical reason why I just cant be bothered with it anymore?

br
    Free Member

not sure how old you are, but mine has gone down every year since I was 40…, now I'm 'wobbly' after a couple

cheap date though!

warton
    Free Member

your liver gets less efficient at processing the alcohol, therefore it takes longer to do so, therefore you have longer hangovers. If you didn't drink at all in your teens and twenties you could have ten years of no hangovers in your thirties

MrSparkle

You're not really a Scot are you? 😆

I find my alcohol tolerance is sadly quite high. It's not big and it's not clever.

plant
    Free Member

Why couldn't there have been a romantic reason for it.

robgarrioch

getting older and wiser

I think / hope so. My drinking has virtually stopped, compared to my twenties. Just doesn't form part of the plan any more. Still have the odd couple, like, but prefer to use time constructively now instead of wasting it with hangovers. + got less time to waste…

scotabroad

Yes 40+ and a Scot……

monkey_boy
    Free Member

im only 34 and i cant drink half as much as i used to, totally cut down mid week, like you even half a bottle of wine my sleep would be terrible.

a for the infamous 'all dayers' i cant think of anything worse these days… i went out on one few months back, must have had about 8-10 pints then hit the JD, next day i was in hell of a shape, was in the dog house with the wife and wasnt really right again until the the wednesday.

never again!

to be honest i cant afford to go out these days on a full bender, i feel so much better aswell not drinking. my dirnk days are over, 6 years living in dublin sorted that out!

nonk
    Free Member

is that liver thing right?
    jut asking cos if i am healthy and fit i get wasted way quicker than if i am in rough shape.

GJP
    Free Member

I would go with Warton's answer in so much as the liver gets less efficient as we age but I am no medical expert.

The patient advice leaflet that comes with prescription drugs often suggest that older people (or the elderly) should be given lower doses and there are always warnings for people with impaired liver or kidney function.

nonk
    Free Member

true.
    do you find that though? yknow if your race fit one pint sends you round the spout?

zaskar
    Free Member

You're liver is diseased-you're dying…

Nah, your metabolism of beer can change.

GJP
    Free Member

zaskar – Member
    You're liver is diseased-you're dying…

Nah, your metabolism of beer can change.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but is it not your liver that is responsible for metabolizing alcohol and removing any toxins from the blood stream.

Nico
    Free Member

I bet your liver only gets 10 or 15 percent less efficient. I think it's because you are less stupid as you get older and less tolerant of feeling bad and wasting time.

zaskar
    Free Member

I was kidding about disease.

Things change like habits, bodymass, repeated exposure, sugar breakdown, protein synthesis of the enzymes required in alcohol breakdown and funnily enough they did find alcohol affects areas of the brain that is active as you get older but this is mainly in Teenagers who need more alcohol as these areas in the brain are not developed and not affected as much as adults.

But Nico has the reason why I quit at 18 lol

epicyclo

It gets cheaper to get a hangover as you get older, one of the benefits… 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I never had any. I can't see the point of drugs.

zaskar
    Free Member

Paracetamol?

iDave
    Free Member

by some freak of nature i don't get hangovers. i know not of them or their described effects. despite liking tequila especially. and jack d. and bushmills. and wine. etc. often combined. i get pissed, just never feel rough the next day. i'm 43 and didn't drink much in my youth. my liver is cheerful.

clubber
    Free Member

I don't get hungover either. Or at least I don't get the headaches and nausea but I do find I get more tired the day after than I used to.

Liver function is the reason I reckon generally and as to the issue of fitness generally it's simply because when you train more, you drink less.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

dunno if I get hangovers, never drunk enough to find out 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

Never used to get hangovers as a yoof,now it takes me a couple of days to get over a good session.Don't think it has anything to do with age though,I just used to drink every night of the week in those days where as these days it's once every week or two…..

Mind hedge-hopping has become a lot more painful as I've got older…..

stratobiker
    Free Member

I make stoopid comments!!!
    U know IT

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Why does age reduce your alcohol tolerance?’ is closed to new replies.