Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Why do zips break?
  • Garry_Lager

Ever had a MTB jacket where the zip is bolloxed for no obvious reason? The one on my gore phantom has gotten really stiff and notchy, but does zip up, but then the two sides bow open after a bit.
    Just wondering what causes this if there’s no broken teeth etc., and is there any simple fix that might get it back to working order.

Can get this one repaired through Scottish Mountain Gear, so weighing up whether it’s worth it re the cost of a new one.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Fewer pies? 😀

whyter

I had this with my Gore Oxygen jacket. Special zip according to one tailor who wanted ~£30 to replace it. Another repair place (Stitches, Brunstfield, Edinburgh) fixed the zip with some pliers in 30 seconds for free. You want to carefully squeeze each side of the zipper together – hard to explain!

jam-bo

I fixed my gore zip with a pair of pliers.

MoreCashThanDash

Because they were fitted by Endura, based on my experience 🙁

superfli
    Free Member

I find zips are most often the weak link in any item of tough clothing.
    My motorbike gear, doesnt matter what the cost, its always the zips that go first, from boots to trousers to jackets. 👿

CraigW
    Free Member

Cleaning and lubricating the zip might help. maybe use something like this: https://www.mcnett.com/m-essentials/zip-care

singlespeedstu

I quick squirt of furniture polish/silicone spray on your zip then run the fastener up and down a few times helps to keep them working for longer.

kayak23

Rub a candle up your zip. Greased lightning innit.

Dibbs
    Free Member

+1 for the pliers and the silicone lubricant.

Garry_Lager

Thks all – I’ll give the fastener a squeeze, gt 85 the zip, and see if that helps.

wanmankylung – Member

Fewer pies?

I like a pie, I cannot over-firmly deny. Bust the zip of my fat lad at the back jersey a while back. Emailed them and they said ‘Don’t worry lad. We understand’ Sent me a new one the next day 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Why do zips break?’ is closed to new replies.