Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Why do you think (on-one q)
  • DT78
    Free Member

the carbon whippet frame is available for £400 but the carbon 29er is £800? What makes the 29er twice the price? Am I missing something obvious?

epicsteve
    Free Member

The 29er price includes a stupidity tax.

Bregante

😆

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The 29er price includes a stupidity clown tax.

😉

Smaller number made and the tooling maybe.?

charliedontsurf

Demand.
    When something is going out of fashion as quickly as 26ers you have so sell your stock off
    Seriously, possibly….
    Short production runs
    Different source
    Different design
    Stock paid for before recent production cost increases and weaker exchange rates.

DT78
    Free Member

stupidity tax 🙂

interesting, double the price seems such a big difference.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its cus 29ers are better innit !

uplink
    Free Member

To keep the riff-raff off 29ers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Define ‘better’…….

rOcKeTdOg

do the on-one carbon frames (especially that hideous 456) come with a complimentary appointment at specsavers?

Clink

do the on-one carbon frames (especially that hideous 456) come with a complimentary appointment at specsavers?

harsh! 😆

andyl
    Free Member

I think they have had to put a lot more R&D into the 29er.

The Whippet uses their existing scandal geometry and looks quite a conservative design coming in at 1300g.

The 29er was pushing the 1kg barrier so has probably had more optimisation and required a them to develop new geometry which is a lot more expensive to do in carbon than steel which is just cut and welded.

Also add the forecast of lower sales and you easily get to the double price.

That is my thinking anyway.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Or, they totally over did the orders for Whippet and are now having to fart them out to avoid having loads sat around

uplink
    Free Member

Wasn’t the Whippet discounted due to an issue with some chainrings fouling or something?

MikeT
    Free Member

The Whippet has always been £400 inc discount as I recall, the rrp of £499 is the typical on-one sales strategy.

Re the chain ring fouling, the whippet frame design was for a double not a triple, however on-one admit to selling complete whippet builds with a triple to keep them at a ‘price point’.

JustGoRide
    Free Member

I asked them this very question at Dalby. The 29er is a race specific frame and manufactured to be stupidly light. They said something about the construction and materials used make it more expensive.

They are developing the Lurcher at the moment, another carbon 29er, which will be aimed more towards general trail usage and will bring the price down.

andyl
    Free Member

yeah I think the lurcher is a bit more robust (ie weighs a bit more) and has swapouts.

They probably used more high modulus carbon in the race version which will cost a bit more.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just wait and it will probably get cheaper.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Clink – Member

harsh! 😆

But ultimatly fair…

clubber
    Free Member

The Whippet looks great in the flesh FWIW

DT78
    Free Member

Whippet has *always* been £399 since I’ve been watching it, not sure about the pre-order amount. I’ve heard about the triples fouling, which is one of the main reasons I haven’t bought as it would mean a new chainset, as well BB, front mech & headset to swap from my other XC bike.

I’m not sold on 29ers, though I would really like to try one out just to see.

I was trying to understand why the 29er version (which I thought it says it is based on the scandal 29ers geo) is double the price. If the lurcher is out soonish, trail orientated and cheaper I reckon most people who want a 29er will go for that….

I really like the whippets graphics – but I think they are a bit marmite. Now one in white / green or white / blue or black / grey would make it even more difficult to resist.

andyl
    Free Member

DT78 – if you are on facebook then ‘like’ their page and paint samples pop up quite often. But mainly in 18″.

D0NK

Have you seen one in the flesh rocketdog? I didn’t like the pics and o-o are certainly never gonna win a style award for it but they aren’t that bad, starting to grow on me actually, but how well it rides could well be making me biased.

jon_on-one
    Free Member

the carbon whippet frame is available for £400 but the carbon 29er is £800? What makes the 29er twice the price? Am I missing something obvious?

Hi DT78. The Carbon 29er Race is an out and out premium race frame, made from absolutely top end carbon by the world leading factory (who also make frames for the likes of Merckx and De Rosa). To be honest we thought it was expensive too- huge tooling costs, high QC fail rate, very fine tolerances, premium everything… escalated our costs and we had to pass that on… For this reason we came up with the forthcoming Lurcher Carbon 29er frame- using the same design with a slightly lower spec, with a price much closer to the Whippet- this is the frame that most of us will be riding going into the Autumn and beyond.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for your comment, jon I look forward to seeing the lurcher and the new whippet colour schemes! Will the new whippets be tweaked in anyway to accomodate a triple easier?

Will try to remember how FB works when I’m home this evening……

rOcKeTdOg

Have you seen one in the flesh rocketdog?

yep black ones, that hideous skull one and a white one at MM last year

uplink
    Free Member

The Carbon 29er Race is an out and out premium race frame, made from absolutely top end carbon

I see, so the Whippet is made from an inferior carbon?

😀

Northwind

rOcKeTdOg – Member

I like to think of mine as “reassuringly ugly”. You just take one look at it and you know not one penny of your £400 was wasted on cosmetics.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Can’t you buy the same frames on ebay for some 326 quid?

Bimbler
    Free Member

So they can punt it out in the next on-One Sale at “40% off” or something

clubber
    Free Member

I see, so the Whippet is made from an inferior carbon?

Yep, just like the steel on-ones are made from an inferior material to the Ti ones…

avdave2

I’ve heard about the triples fouling, which is one of the main reasons I haven’t bought as it would mean a new chainset, as well BB, front mech & headset to swap from my other XC bike

I’m thinking of one of these at the moment but I’ll go 1 x 9 and take an angle grinder to the chainset so I’ll only need a headset and BB with it.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Why do you think (on-one q)’ is closed to new replies.