Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Why do Whyte run a 2.3" on the front & a 2.4" on the rear? T130S/RS
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Seems an odd width combo, usually have the same size or narrower on the rear.

http://www.whyte.bike/t130s
    http://www.whyte.bike/t130rs

I’m looking for some different rubber and am considering some WTB offerings, does the 2.3″ Vigilante come up the same / bigger than a 2.4″ Trail Boss?

Ta

sofabear
    Free Member

Strange. My Feb ’16 T130S came with a 2.25 Riddler on the rear and a 2.25 Trail Boss on the front.

I’ve switched the TB to the rear and put a 2.3 Vigilante on the front which is miles better IMO. I ride mainly in the Surrey Hills FWIW.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Mine came with a TB 2.2 rear and vigilante 2.3 up front. I ditched the TB, swapped the Vigilante to the rear and stuck a HRII on the front.

pnik

My demo t130 had the 2.4 tb on the back and a 2.3 vigilante on the front, i thought it was odd in the shop, never really thought about it again though. I assumed the demo had odd tyres due to a previous puncture or some such. Maybe they just think its a good combo. To be honest they dont look that different on.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

they probably match up fairly well when you factor they are different tread patterns.

mboy
    Free Member

It’s a bit of an oddity for sure, but it’s more to do with them getting WTB tyres on the cheap OEM than anything else for sure.

FWIW qwerty there’s nothing to beat a Schwalbe Magic Mary up front IMO, and out back there’s a few different options depending on whether you want speed or grip, but you won’t go far wrong with the Maxxis Minion DHR2 for most things and the Schwalbe Rock Razor for the spring/summer months.

Northwind

TBH it’s a fairly sensible combo despite size oddness- the vigilante’s a big toothy number, the trailboss even in the wider size will be faster but still has decent grip. Though maybe a bit cloggy for the sort of stuff the vigilante’s good at…

leftyboy
    Free Member

Only must change on my 2015 Works T-130 was the rear tyre (Ardent Race), it’s perfect for dusty singletrack if you don’t mind a bit of rear wheel drifting but as that’s a bout 1 week a year I stuck a Minion on and enjoyed a huge increase in grip for slightly more drag.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Why do Whyte run a 2.3" on the front & a 2.4" on the rear? T130S/RS’ is closed to new replies.