Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Why do we work in offices?
  • shooterman

After much soul searching about my dissatisfaction with my current career (law) I have come to the realisation that it's not the work, the clients, the responsibility or the public speaking I hate.

It's the bullsh1t office politics and having to walk on eggshells due to the inverted snobbery of the non professional staff. I am no better or worse than them but having to organise your whole work around their egos is driving me,literally, out of a job.

Who thought up the office? Why do we work this way?

sssimon
    Free Member

shops, showrooms, centres, restaurants, etc etc

they all work the same, people are people, most of them are a fu3king nightmare

ourmaninthenorth

I am no better or worse than them but having to organise your whole work around their egos is driving me,literally, out of a job.

There probably was a halcyon time to be a lawyer, when your secretary called you Mr Shooterman and you took Wednesday afternoons off for lunch. These days, law firms are just big factories (well, the ones I worked for were), and so the sense of professional separation is frowned upon.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

I work at home (in an office!).

There are 10 of us in the company, we all work at home and it's pretty good.

There's still politics, though (albeit small company politics).

The problem isn't offices,it's people.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

It's so the bosses can keep an eye on us.

Probably dates back to when secretaries were all female, in a male run world, and couldn't be trusted not to talk rather than work.

Sadly on my return to work after illness I'll be in a big office with many others, rather than an office shared with one other person. Whole new experience for me after years of only sharing with one person.

shooterman

I dunno! I take the view it's a rocky enough road from the cradle to the crypt so why make it harder for others. Some people I reckon are so deeply unhappy in themselves the have to make everyone around them unhappy too. Psychos!

Grimy
    Free Member

Breifcase w@n*ers! aka People who are obsessed with self inportance and who usually carry a breifcase to work that contains nothing more than their limp sandwiches, when actually a pink barbie butty box would probably be a better reflection of their petty childish nature.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Something you need to be getting off your chest there Grimy? 🙂

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Breifcases: when I started work in an office 15 years ago I assumed I needed one – can't think that I've used it. Never really needed to take anything home until I got a laptop so now I have to carry that about. Possibly that make me a laptop w@nker?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Work at home with a view of the river and only the birds to disturb me.

Wouldn't have it any other way having "done" office work for years.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I like my office. Very spacious with big windows that look out across Exmoor. All the people there are nice too.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

SM – so you work in a marquee tent?! 😉

wee-al
    Free Member

Maybe if you stopped using terms such as "non professional", you might get on better with them. It makes it sound as if every non graduate is an amateur playing at work.

Milkie
    Free Member

Why do we work in offices?

Cos paperwork gets blown all over the place otherwise! and the foxes steal your bags of crisps!

willard

I work in an open plan part of our building and I quite like it. I can shout to people, talk to them, lounge on a sofa and whiteboard (if I want to) and, if that fails, I can go to the actual office that has my name on the door and tend to my growing chilli plantation.

But as to why we work in an office? For a big company, I suppose that it's just more efficient for the company to have everyone in one place. Like the man said, bosses can keep an eye on you.

Even though my last boss was in the US and I only ever met him once.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I once worked for Paul Daniels and I never saw him.

And it wasn't an office – it was a cave.

slowjo
    Free Member

I work from home in an outbuilding with nothing but birds and horses to disturb me. Empty fields with the start of a few of my favourite trails not 100 yards away. Distance between my desk and field number one… three paces.

Mind you, when the weather is good, it is often quite difficult to concentrate on anything apart from getting out there!

tootallpaul

Monkeys visit my office.

That's real monkeys, not a euphemism.

They have blue balls.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Why do we work in offices?’ is closed to new replies.