Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Why do we do it – rain content
  • dannybgoode

So, having done my skills course last week I promised myself I would actually put in the practice.

Unfortunately what with babybgoode and Mrs Danny working plenty of weekends I have to grab what opportunities I can to get out – which meant getting an hour in today.

Fetched bike from cellar, looked outside and nearly left it there but no, be strong Danny – you don’t rust.

So off up to Parkwood Springs up the hill to the start and my chain snapped. Yeah, an excuse to pack up and go home! Luckily(?) a kindly soul had a chain tool so a quick repair and I managed to get a bit of riding in (thank you to the chap who waiting in the pissing rain whilst I fixed the bike).

Still not entirely sure why I went but at least can eat burgers at my mates BBQ this afternoon guilt free!

Cheers

Danny B

Olly
    Free Member

I dont

Alex

Because:

a) come Spring we will have the fitness of a riding colossus. Or something. But we won’t be wheezing up the first hill and wasting that lovely sunshine.

b) we will continue to fit into clothes and not require the purchasing of trousers with elastic

c) 99 times out of a 100, riding is better than not riding

d) it makes you feel worthy. And worthy of beer.

e) because the alternative is staying inside/getting bored and tetchy/buying loads of pointless rubbish off the Internet/all of the above.

MTBing is a four season sport. It’s amazing how good clothes/shoes/mtb bits/etc work in horrible conditions. Consumables are just that.

dannyh
    Free Member

Spot on Dannyb.

There are about a handful of times in eight years when I have regretted going out on the bike. There are numerous more where I talked myself out of it and then regretted it and was grumpy all the rest of the day.

Thankfully I got my three and a half hours in yesterday morning, but if today was my only opportunity, I’d be out in it.

JAG

Alex has it.

It’s always difficult to force yourself but it’s almost always worth it 🙂

Guess who went out for a two hour ride yesterday 8)

torihada
    Free Member

7 am, start: 2.5 hr ride this am. Lucked out as the heavy rain started as we finished. First ride of the year. Commited myself on Sat am so no quitting whatever the weather. It’s the only way at this time of year.

As others have said, I’ve never regretted a ride, even in the foulest conditions, only regretted it when I’ve wimped out. I’m learning to love the mud, and see it as an extra workout.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just planned it to go out yesterday and today has been bike maintenance this morning. Its howling down here. I still need the elasticated clothes here, Al !!

rp16v
    Free Member

Because no matter what the weather its still fun riding around in the rain gives u a good reason to lock up the rear and slide it around like your 15 again
    I would advise carrying a small multi tool and quick links aswell

schmiken

7am for four hours on the road bike. Still got wet, still got chilly. Don’t regret it at all!

plus-one

I had a tough one yesterday… Forecast was looking bearable till midday(when I’d be home) but the heavy rain arrived sooner and I got soaked through(despite wearing good waterproof shell) my coldest/darkest 1hr on bike getting home.. Lost feeling in fingers/toes and legs were also freezing and trying to push harder to keep warm I had no oomph then my vision started to get blurry !!

10mins to get key out to open door .. Shivered for few hrs after warm shower 🙁

Grim

chakaping
    Free Member

Headed out for an hour or so’s ride on the road bike yesterday, like you it was the only time available.

Was dry when I looked out window but rain started falling as soon as I stepped out door. Got about 5km through strong winds and increasingly heavy rain before the rear punctured (first time in more than a year).

I then sheltered ineffectively in a phone box as I put a spare tube in and struggled to pump it up, only to get splashed by a 4×4 going through a roadside puddle.

On the way back home, uphill but with a v strong tailwind I was getting blown all over the shop – and it started to sleet.

Still didn’t regret going out, strangely.

my mates BBQ this afternoon

This being in the local psychiatric ward, presumably?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

BBQ?? 😯

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

turbo for me this afternoon..cant be doing with the bike cleaning.

ratherbeintobago

99 times out of a 100, riding is better than not riding

This. If there’s a time window to go, it’s always better to go out into the weather than regret not going at all.

dannybgoode

He spent a few years in Oz and has continued to celebrate Ausralia day.

Last year there was a foot of snow on the ground…

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Alex – +1 for (b) 😆

And they often call it something like “Active waisband” 🙄

Alex

Surely ‘inactive waistband’ 🙂

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve only had one regrettable ride in the past few months.
    The first evening one of Autumn proper, when we went out without lights knowing it would be a fairly short one and still got wet n cold, doing what I always do and thinking summer would last forever.
    First proper rain for ages, trails starting to get gloopy, loads of standing water,thin base layer and light showerproof jacket, summer gloves etc, etc,.
    Properly attired and with much more rain and mud since, I’ve loved riding this winter. Just waiting for the first ride, this year, when I’m overdressed / prepared, to remind me it’s summer again !! 😉

binners

We’d planned to get out today. However, the Met office told me to go to the pub instead, to watch the football. What can I do? They’re very persuasive, the Met office 😀

I do applaud the maniac having a barby. I wouldn’t want to live in a world where that kind of bloody-minded, pig-headed stupidity didn’t go on!

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

It didn’t rain much last Sunday but I have never been so wet riding a bike as I was riding round Penmachno. Took 3 days for my boots to dry out on the radiator. But it was still great to get out. However, I don’t have the enthusiasm for the muddy peaks today.

nickc

don’t ride in off road slop* anymore, prefer to run or roadie in this sort of weather.

I don’t mind winter off road, some of the best night rides and those frosty clear winter nights, and when it’s frozen rock hard. but knee deep in mud? nah, no thanks

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

1. there is no wrong weather just the wrong clothes.

2. riding in the rain / mud is fun.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

As someone said above mountain biking is a year round sport.

Too many fair weather riders about. They aren’t real mountain bikers

chakaping
    Free Member

OP – We really need to know more about this BBQ.

nickc

Too many fair weather riders about. They aren’t real mountain bikers

🙄

binners

Is there a test? Or some kind of grading system for how ‘real’ we are?

rOcKeTdOg

Riding through axle deep mud is excellent resistance training, when the dusty trails arrive it’ll all be worth it. The eBay army surplus goretex shorts are worth exery penny of the £8 I spent on them

dannybgoode

The BBQ was a roaring success. Homemade buffalo burgers – mmmmm.

He has a nice garage area that opens out for ventilation but kept the rain off and of course the BBQ heated it nicely.

Will be same again next year!

theflatboy
    Free Member

When it started pouring / borderline hailing this morning I was definitely thinking that an improvement in the weather will be seriously appreciated when it materialises…

nuke

Alex has it spot on

e) because the alternative is staying inside/getting bored and tetchy/buying loads of pointless rubbish off the Internet/all of the above.

My family would definitely attest to this one being true

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I love sliding around.

tpbiker
    Free Member

screw that…

Just invested in a vr trainer, so been doing all my favourite routes from the comfort of my house.

Not nearly as fun as a proper cycle, but beats going out in the rain and howling winds.

tenfoot

I’m out tonight. Hopefully the rain will hold off a bit.

The alternative? Sitting in front of the goggle box, watching some old crap, eating chocolate.

Besides, I enjoy riding past people’s houses at nighttime, whilst they’re sitting indoors slobbing out whilst I’m trying to fill with time with a bit of adventure.

Dogsby

Rule 9 applies. Being ‘across the water’ means that there is rarely a guarantee to clear skies and today was no exception but thankfully the rain pasted overhead and Fermanagh was dry, mostly! My wife was also at a BBQ last night to celebrate Australia day, nothing like BBQing whilst well wrapped up and with a headtorch.

Dogsby

mcnultycop

I tidied the shed and sorted out all the niggling little jobs so I can ride double next weekend. Got an hour in on the roadie yesterday though.

rOcKeTdOg

rode yesterday and today, managed to miss the rain, thunder and hail on both days, it was abit damp on the trails though…

garage-dweller

Riding at the minute mostly consists of the hybrid to and from the station and utility riding. That’s not weather dependent and doing some swimming too. loads of weekend commitments with family lately so night riding only option must weeks.

But the off road light is back from its warranty excursion to exposure so some bog trotting may be back on the cards.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Why do we do it – rain content’ is closed to new replies.