Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Why do we all go biking? most people think we're just big kids!
  • Stormwind
    Free Member

Most of the couchies think we're mad and that pedal power is for fools.

However what do we think of the couchies and why do we love to go out biking.

I just love the way I feel when i'm out on my bike, passing all the happy normal people who aren't big kids, who look so healthy and alive.

Freedom that's what it is, when I'm out there no matter if I'm of to the shops or out on a proper trip for the day, I feel alive.

There's something about having a bike beneath you and simply heading off!

A life without biking? No not for me!

U31
    Free Member

Youre on prozac, arnt you…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just look at the trails and think to yourself, "This is why".

(Credit to Jo Burt for that one)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I went out on my usual ride (mainly XC) with my fullface and pads today with the intention of riding up the hill and then doing the DH runs back down. I remember passing some family and thinking about exactly this.

I don't care – if people want to cast judgements on someone who enjoys their life then let them – it ain't my problem, its theirs!

You only get one shot at life and as a certain sports brand would say "Just do it!"

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I can't sit at home drinking beer and listening to records all the time! 🙂

I love the fact that I can go riding and my head will be miles away lost in thoughts of something else but still turning the pedals but yet another time all I will be concentrating on is the 'ride' and the world outside of that doesn't exist. Just seems to help me chill out and forget about any stress in my life.

mmb
    Free Member

loads of reasons, adrenaline, the views, fitness, the way you feel during and after a sublime ride, being outside, and lets not forget girls in lycra (as if we could) 😯

xherbivorex
    Free Member

to be honest, i don't care what "most people" think of me anyway.
    and equally, i have no thoughts on their chosen ways of occupying their time.

but to answer the question, i go out on my bikes because i want to. no other reason. i do it because i want to do it.

swamp_boy

Its just good for the body and the head, 'nuff said. Just back from bumble along the local lanes, English countryside looking lovely as ever, if a bit dry and brown, leaned over a fence to look at the view and scratched a pig's back with a couple of pints at a pub at the farthest point, therapeutic in so many ways.

Also get the schadenfreude rides, when I've had enough on a hot afternoon and take off on one of my routes that crosses the M25 and its stationary both ways.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

@xherbivorex when I'm back 'oop north', we should go for a ride. 🙂

tinribz
    Free Member

Cant see any difference with swimming or jogging, aerobics or the gym.

It's exercise and endorphin addiction. Only cycling has the added advantage of great views.

When I started out years ago it was mostly about the rush of going down hill, now it's the calories burnt going up.

gordimhor

It makes me happy 8) and even when it doesnt make me particularly happy it gives a sense of achievement and if most people think I am daft they should try speaking to me then they ll know I AM DAFT

xherbivorex
    Free Member

any time ben.
    lee quarry? i hear there's some good fun DH stuff there!

Stormwind
    Free Member

U31

No! should I be?

lowey – Member
    We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Exactly: fun = no stress and we don't have to die early.

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Just look at the trails and think to yourself, "This is why".

(Credit to Jo Burt for that one)

Captain flash heart, the fresh air while exercising is a revolution, I see people jogging through cities and I want to shout, don't breath more of it in you spazmastic, it's poisonous, fair enough if you're commuting ands have a choice between getting the bus and sniffing god only know what or cycle, I know what I would choose, but choosing to increase your intake of poisonous stinky stuff not good.

Bushwacked – Member
    I went out on my usual ride (mainly XC) with my fullface and pads today with the intention of riding up the hill and then doing the DH runs back down. I remember passing some family and thinking about exactly this.

I don't care – if people want to cast judgements on someone who enjoys their life then let them – it ain't my problem, its theirs!

You only get one shot at life and as a certain sports brand would say "Just do it!"

One chance at each moment, do you want to do something that you know sooner or later will have you laughing until your sides hurt and feeling alive. Or wander around critisizing everything and everyone. Give most people an excuse to mouth off and they can't resist it.

If someone isn't happy should they be listened to? na if they can't sort their own sh1t out they can't sort anyone elses out.

ctznsmith – Member
    I can't sit at home drinking beer and listening to records all the time!

I love the fact that I can go riding and my head will be miles away lost in thoughts of something else but still turning the pedals but yet another time all I will be concentrating on is the 'ride' and the world outside of that doesn't exist. Just seems to help me chill out and forget about any stress in my life.

I know what you mean, after the first crash, you tend to pay a bit more attention after the first big crash and you realize you could seriously copit! you learn to put everything else to the side and be of the moment.

mmb – Member
    loads of reasons, adrenaline, the views, fitness, the way you feel during and after a sublime ride, being outside, and lets not forget girls in lycra (as if we could)

Let's not forget that the door when it comes to lycra swings both ways.

There are people for whom it should be illegal, not just because it scares me.

But yes, well proportioned women in lycra. I can think of worse places to be than behind them.

xherbivorex – Member
    to be honest, i don't care what "most people" think of me anyway.
    and equally, i have no thoughts on their chosen ways of occupying their time.

but to answer the question, i go out on my bikes because i want to. no other reason. i do it because i want to do it

Yes but isn't the individuals right to choose the foundation for freedom. Surely what we can and do choose to do, determines who and what we are?

I think you've hit the essence of the beauty of biking, most people go with the flow and only do what is excepted due to fear of criticism or of standing out. What choice does someone who'e been planted in front of the TV since they were born really have?

swamp_boy – Member
    Its just good for the body and the head, 'nuff said. Just back from bumble along the local lanes, English countryside looking lovely as ever, if a bit dry and brown, leaned over a fence to look at the view and scratched a pig's back with a couple of pints at a pub at the farthest point, therapeutic in so many ways.

Also get the schadenfreude rides, when I've had enough on a hot afternoon and take off on one of my routes that crosses the M25 and its stationary both ways.

It's a release valve, the sh1t build up and build up. Driving don't even get me started. All the idiots everywhere, but you have something that's fun to look forward to.

Stormwind
    Free Member

tinribz – Member
    Cant see any difference with swimming or jogging, aerobics or the gym.

It's exercise and endorphin addiction. Only cycling has the added advantage of great views.

When I started out years ago it was mostly about the rush of going down hill, now it's the calories burnt going up.

Those are exercise activities, you do them to keep fit anf some a bit enjoyable. but biking is an activity that keeps you fit not an exercise.

Running on a tread mill indoors going knowhere, keep fit OK but not the same surely, not for me. DISAPEAR! FLEE!! ESCAPE!!!

Stormwind
    Free Member

gordimhor – Member
    It makes me happy and even when it doesnt make me particularly happy it gives a sense of achievement and if most people think I am daft they should try speaking to me then they ll know I AM DAFT

Daft and happy I can handle, miserable and normal, good luck with that anyone that's into it, NOT FOR ME!

Stormwind
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone that posted, enjoy the rest of your weekend, if you can!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Because it makes me more excited than just about anything else I do with my life, it keeps me fit, I like to think I'm alright at it, and it just makes me smile.

(A little bit of it though is because in my head it sounds cool- I've never heard anyone sound unimpressed when I say I do 24 hour races, or race doonhillit! I know those are "bad" reasons but I like it)

loulouk
    Free Member

"It's the same as swimming, jogging, aerobics or gym'
    No. No no no, it's not. It's challenge, problem solving, line picking, getting it wrong, getting it right, whooping your way down a hill, the sound of compressed mud under my tyres, the sound my hub isn't making because I'm going that fast, smell of pine in sunshine, mud splattered white toothed grins, joy, prozac without the stupid side effects, free exercise cos it's too much fun to be good for you, cake earning, bruise catching fun.
    Swimming/jogging/aerobics/gym? No. None of these things.

sv

For me it's the OCD of cleaning and maintaining, like bearings and which wonderful grease to use in them mmm…

Cougar

most people think we're just big kids!

In my case, they'd be right.

Most non-biking people I choose to tell about my biking seem quite interested and in a way contrary to the OP's point, view it as quite extreme.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Those are exercise activities, you do them to keep fit anf some a bit enjoyable. but biking is an activity that keeps you fit not an exercise.

If you think swimming and running are any different to cycling in that respect, you're doing them wrong, or in the wrong places. A decent swim has scenery, technical challenge, line choice, and even that kind of "can't bail out now" sense of commitment that you get on a scary downhill. So does running – there is tons of skill involved in running fast down a rocky mountain side.

Stormwind
    Free Member

loulouk – Member
    "It's the same as swimming, jogging, aerobics or gym'
    No. No no no, it's not. It's challenge, problem solving, line picking, getting it wrong, getting it right, whooping your way down a hill, the sound of compressed mud under my tyres, the sound my hub isn't making because I'm going that fast, smell of pine in sunshine, mud splattered white toothed grins, joy, prozac without the stupid side effects, free exercise cos it's too much fun to be good for you, cake earning, bruise catching fun.
    Swimming/jogging/aerobics/gym? No. None of these things

Couldn't agree more, it's the spritit of adventure and exploration, the constantly adapting to new challenges and using your head thingy.

Stormwind
    Free Member

sv – Member
    For me it's the OCD of cleaning and maintaining, like bearings and which wonderful grease to use in them mmm…

Maintenance is important, you can't have a bike without bearings or if you did it wouldn't be upto much. Frame and components also making sure everything is tuned is also important.

As for cleaning, could do without it but that's just me! 😆

Stormwind
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    Most non-biking people I choose to tell about my biking seem quite interested and in a way contrary to the OP's point, view it as quite extreme.

Attitudes toward biking have changed, when I got started quite a few years ago it was different, still a lot of people who think it's silly though.

Then again being so over weight bravity becomes your worst enemy is also quite silly, so what do they know?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Running on a tread mill indoors going knowhere, keep fit OK but not the same surely, not for me. DISAPEAR! FLEE!! ESCAPE!!!

Yeah, but that's like saying cycling's about sitting in the garage on a turbo trainer 🙂
    Just got back from an hours run along the local woods and fields, noticed more of the countryside than I do on a bike, plus I can do it flat out without endangering anyone else.
    Feels fantastic! 🙂

Stormwind
    Free Member

joemarshall – Member

If you think swimming and running are any different to cycling in that respect, you're doing them wrong, or in the wrong places. A decent swim has scenery, technical challenge, line choice, and even that kind of "can't bail out now" sense of commitment that you get on a scary downhill. So does running – there is tons of skill involved in running fast down a rocky mountain side.

IanMunro – Member

Yeah, but that's like saying cycling's about sitting in the garage on a turbo trainer

NO it's not! try again!

Just got back from an hours run along the local woods and fields, noticed more of the countryside than I do on a bike, plus I can do it flat out without endangering anyone else.
    Feels fantastic!

I think you'll find that there is a world of difference between running and jogging?

Jogging is simply plodding along at a slow constant pace, dodging the occasional animal turd and puddle etc. Running is more energetic more adaptable and you have to watch what you're doing. As I said running is fine, jogging is crap! but better than nothing.

As for swimming, can't see myself swimming to the local shops or getting very far unless there is a very large flood or I learn to levitate!

aerobics, women with tight clothing bouncing up and down, I would need to ware 4 pairs of pants made from kevlar and very baggy shorts. To contain the funkster that lives in my pants. So yet again not for me 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'm 100% with you on the aerobics and swimming thing!

Stormwind
    Free Member

I love running, not through cities or along roads, but out on the hills and woodlands also back trails, the steep ascents that really bite into your stamina and muscles and then the rush from powering back down.

Jumping over stuff and swerving to avoid obstacles, just the feeling of possibilities and the getting to know your own body.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Amen to that!

mangatank
    Free Member

Interesting question…

I used to cycle in London and that was a bit of a cult thing: racing other riders between lights, cutting up drivers. But really that was just 'fun' transport.

Then I used a bike to ride over the hills to my nearest pool, swim 60 lengths and cycle back. A round trip of 10 miles five days a week. That was all about getting to the pool, certainly not the ride (jeans, shirt, no hemet!).

Years later, when the fitness of my twenties started to fade, I dug out the same old bike (horrid rigid thing) and rode up into the same hills. Within a month I was out every night and loving it. So much so that I bought my first premium steel front suss hardtail. That was as close to a religious experience as I've had.

I still can't explain the shift from seeing the bike as mere transport to regarding it as an almost mystical pleasure…weird!

Stormwind
    Free Member

The problem with pools is that you have no idea who's been in them and also what said individuals have been upto prior to entering.

Farting, pissing and god only knows what else, then of course you have lazy people, who don't even shower before getting into the pool.

It doesn't even bear thinking about really, unless you have your own pool, then that's cool!

swamp_boy

<<I still can't explain the shift from seeing the bike as mere transport to regarding it as an almost mystical pleasure…weird!>>

The great thing is that its still both

mangatank
    Free Member

😥 I just threw up in my mouth. Thanks for that.

Stormwind
    Free Member

mangatank – Member
    Interesting question…

I used to cycle in London and that was a bit of a cult thing: racing other riders between lights, cutting up drivers. But really that was just 'fun' transport.

Then I used a bike to ride over the hills to my nearest pool, swim 60 lengths and cycle back. A round trip of 10 miles five days a week. That was all about getting to the pool, certainly not the ride (jeans, shirt, no hemet!).

Years later, when the fitness of my twenties started to fade, I dug out the same old bike (horrid rigid thing) and rode up into the same hills. Within a month I was out every night and loving it. So much so that I bought my first premium steel front suss hardtail. That was as close to a religious experience as I've had.

I still can't explain the shift from seeing the bike as mere transport to regarding it as an almost mystical pleasure…weird!

My first mountain bike was a raleigh mustang back in about 1988, I also used to borrow my friends carrera krakatoa I think it was. As soon as I experienced big tyres and gears I was hooked.

Lifes like that, sometimes you concentrate so much on what you want to have, you don't realize what you have in the hear and now.

As for biking, a life without it would be almost unbearable!

mangatank
    Free Member

The great thing is that its still both

That's the thing isn't it? I've got a colleague who says his grandfather would ride from Galashiles to the outskirts of Edinburgh and back on a regular basis for work reasons. A big journey on a heavy bike. I doubt it was little more than transport to him either.

What flicks the switch I wonder?

Stormwind
    Free Member

I would think that for me it's the technology, the chances of me owning a performance sports car are slim, I can however own a performance mountian bike and get all the benefits in terms of weight and handling etc.

Alloy frames, hydraulic brakes, hydraulic suspension and all the other bits and pieces simply give biking the WWHHEEEE!!! factor!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Why do we all go biking? most people think we're just big kids!’ is closed to new replies.