• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Why do some tyre companies recommend against the use of tyre sealants?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Does it damage the tyre in any way? I’m thinking of, e.g. non tubeless Kenda Nevegals.

Thanks!

slowrider
    Free Member

Some tyres are too pourous, others the ammonia in some sealants can eat away at the rubber and you get scary bulges and stuff appearing. There were some threads a while back with pics. Try a sealant without ammonia if such a thing exists?

Fishbone
    Free Member

The sealant will break down the rubber over time suposedly? I think the they state that you shouldn’t use sealant to cover them selfs. Don’t know of anyone having problems with this though. You should be fine with the nevegals.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I heard on here back along of people having tyre bulging type trouble with kendas (in particular) and sealant. However, this is probably going back 2 years and Kenda would have been daft not to have since changed their rubber in light of this.

poppa
    Free Member

Well, if it causes catastrophic failure with no warning then I will be concerned! If it causes long-term damage but with fair warning I won’t be so concerned…

schmiken

I’ve never had a problem with Stans or anything else with either Kendas (SB8s, Karmas and Short trackers) or Schwalbes.

Sam

I think it’s rather the bead not being designed for tubeless use rather than the rubber breaking down (though there are also reports of that). Using non-tubeless specific tyres without tubes is always a risk. How much of one is up to you, seek reports on what works and what has some issues and you should be fine. Personally I’ve used lots of different tyres tubeless (though always on tubeless specific rims) and never had a catastrophic failure. A few burps but nothing life/ride ending. YMMV.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Why do some tyre companies recommend against the use of tyre sealants?’ is closed to new replies.