Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Why do some singlespeed road bikes have bolts and not QR's?
  • WaywardRider
    Free Member

Just bought a second hand Langster. It does't have quick release hubs so does that mean I have to carry a spanner (heavy) around at all times for the inevitable puncture? Slightly less than convenient surely!

Presumably a new set of hubs, and wheel build, required for quick releas stuff.

Mister-P
    Free Member

They have bolts on the rear to keep the wheel secure in the horizontal dropout.

pjt201
    Free Member

a 15mm box spanner isn't very heavy. or you could get one of these

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Haze

QR's in track ends are a PITA for keeping chain tension right – you could probably use some tug-nuts with one, but they'd probably need a spanner anyway.

WaywardRider
    Free Member

pjt210 – thanks for the link, have just ordered one! My point is the 8oz it weighs.

aP
    Free Member

The main reason is that QRs don't exert enough pressure – and as they were originally used for winter miles and track work you really, really don't want wheels with QRs riding the track.

qwerty
    Free Member

PEDROS Trixie

is mucherer betterer :mrgreen:

clubber
    Free Member

You're not allowed wheels with QRs on the track…

Anyway, as above, bolt on wheels hold the wheel more securely than QRs and while QRs will usually work ok with SS, if you ride it fixed (as a lot of Langsters are) then it's marginal to the point of being dodgy – the last thing you want on a fixie is the wheel moving in the dropouts.

BigDummy
    Free Member

There's also a lot to be said for non-QR wheels for a bike that's likely to be left out on the street. The Langster has a split personality – it wants to be track, but most of them are pub. 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

if you think the spanner is heavy, im guessing you dont carry a spare tube, levers, patches, pump, water, not to mention multi tool or chain tool?

so how is it then different to a qr?

besides as pointed out above, qr wheels go walkies from the pub too easily.

clubber
    Free Member

My Langster was a proper trackie (though it also did a lot of road) – original black model – the current ones' bbs are too low for the track.

mattsccm
    Free Member

if it bothers you just bung in a hollow axle and QR . Run my single cross (same track ends) perfectly well with both SS and fixed. if you want to be really sure put a chain tug in. Careful choice will mean not spanner needed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Why do some singlespeed road bikes have bolts and not QR's?’ is closed to new replies.