Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Why do some people on bikes …?
  • popartpoem
    Free Member

Driving out to the trails, with my bike on the rack, I joined some very slow traffic on a very uppy & downy & bendy stretch of the road. It turns out that the hold up was a group of about 8 Power Rangers on bikes acting like there was nobody else on the road.
    Eventually, when it was my turn behind them (the cars in front of me had taken some crazy opportunities to pass them), I followed patiently waiting for them to single-file to ease my overtaking opportunity. But no, on a 2 mile (ish) stretch, they rode 2, 3 & sometimes 4 abreast, swapping & changing position like they were riding that TdF. To be honest, they were being a right pain and royaly pi##ing me off.

Maybe this explains some of the recently posted “rage” incidents?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Biscuit anyone?

RealMan
    Free Member

a very uppy & downy & bendy stretch of the road

the cars in front of me had taken some crazy opportunities to pass them

Did you consider the fact that it would’ve still been dangerous to them if they were riding single file? Maybe they didn’t want to encourage people to risk their lives?

Or something.

popartpoem
    Free Member

Yep.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tea and a jammie dodger please.

Bikes are traffic – they don’t hold up traffic

mansonsoul
    Free Member

STWer in part time cyclist, full time driver shocker!

You’re supposed to leave cyclists as much overtaking room as you would a car. Going single file would’ve just encouraged you to squeeze past, endangering them.

db

Soooo if I leave about a foot between me and a car when I overtake I only need to leave a foot for cyclists…?

crazy-legs

What would all the drivers have done if it was 2 or 3 horses in single file?

They’d all have waited patiently for their chance to overtake, they’d have done so smoothly and quietly without taking chances.
    But cos it’s a group of cyclists (which take up about as much room as 3 horses would), the attitude is “just get past the ****”.

Imagine how much extra time your journey would have taken if you’d have had to untangle a cyclist or two from your bumper and explain to the police exactly what happened…

Trimix
    Free Member

How come when you see mtb’ers on the road they are not in a bunch 2/3 abrest ?

wellhung
    Free Member

Because MTBers know where it’s at 😆

antigee

Driving out to the trails, with my bike on the rack, I joined some very slow traffic

very important, urgent driving to get to somewhere to ride*

*yes i do it but I accept that bikes, runners, walkers, kids have as much right to the road as me

nuke

What would all the drivers have done if it was 2 or 3 horses in single file?

They would have waited of course but then when I’ve been behind horses they tend to stop and let you pass when the opportunity presents itself…just common courtesy really.

…and for me that’s it as personally I’d never ride 2+ abreast if there was traffic: seems like common courtesy to at least minimise your width to let vehicles pass.

Plus nothing worse than having a vehicle right on your tail on a climb imo…let them overtake, get back to concentrating on the climb and avoid unnecessary potential aggro

antigee

How come when you see mtb’ers on the road they are not in a bunch 2/3 abrest ?

dark clothing and slow speed ensures those on the outside have been taken out

kaesae
    Free Member

Taking the piss! is taking the piss!!! there is never a need to ride 4 abreast, making people wait for ages or having to risk their lives to overtake, is just plain shitty.

What if I want to pull in front of them, then start driving very slowly so they have to slow down for me, am I entitled to do that by law ❓

Just out of curiosity 💡

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Giving them as much room is not the same as how much you miss them by, or to put it another way, just because you think you can get away with squeezing a car through an unpredictable gap doesn’t mean you should. Leave a big gap in case they wobble, get blown by the wind, get wobbled by the draft from your car if you are going fast enough. Maybe a gap big enough for a car…

antigee

What if I want to pull in front of them, then start driving very slowly so they have to slow down, am I entitled to do that by law

yes it’s called approaching traffic lights or a left turn

PS it’s us not them?

mansonsoul
    Free Member

…and for me that’s it as personally I’d never ride 2+ abreast if there was traffic

As Teej, says, bikes ARE traffic!

highclimber
    Free Member

It’s courtesy for slower ‘traffic’ to pull over at regular intervals so to allow faster traffic to pass. This has the advantage of reducing the amount of risks some people will take when frustrated because they are being held up by some inconsiderate lycra louts thinking they are Mark Cavendish

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

.and for me that’s it as personally I’d never ride 2+ abreast if there was traffic: seems like common courtesy to at least minimise your width to let vehicles pass.

Nope – its adding to the dangers. It means a longer line of bikes to pass so more chance some idiot will abort the overtake dn try to cut in, its enciouraging cars to sqeeze past hen there is no room Was there room to pass a car safely? If not then there is not room to pass a bike safely

Why was your journey so important you had to squeeze past so urgently

spacemonkey

FFS, all it takes is a bit of common sense and courtesy from both parties. When in a group, I always usher other riders in to allow cars to overtake – as do most other riders I know (some don’t bother). And when in a car, I like to think I know how to judge when to overtake – if they’re riding 2-3 abreast for no reason then I’ll beep ’em. Have on occasion decided to get verbal because they just won’t move (always roadies).

None of us own the road – we share it. So grow up and show some maturity. Tis all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spacemonkey – how about acting on that then – you know -sharing the road. Not forcing bikes out of your way.

cplater1
    Free Member

I’m waiting for some motorist to bring up Vehicle Excise Duty (What was road tax) as a reason for cars over bikes. Sorry mate, you’re not paying for the roads, everyone that pays any tax pays for them.

Sorry if im slightly off topic…

spacemonkey

Sharing the road is fine. But as a bike rider (or a runner or horse-rider), you also need to respect that fact that a car can cover distance faster than you, and as such, a sensible driver should be given the opportunity to overtake (safely).

As a driver, you should respect runners, horsey types, cyclists, etc – but also be aware that you can power past them once the opportunity arises.

Simples.

EDIT: cyclists that ride 2-3 abreast on long straight country lane (singletrack-type sections) should grow up and get some manners.

partyboy
    Free Member

What a knob, how dare someone waste your valuable time 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spacemonkey
    if they’re riding 2-3 abreast for no reason then I’ll beep ’em. Have on occasion decided to get verbal because they just won’t move

that really sounds like you are respecting other road users.

spacemonkey

Have already replied TJ with my edit.

I really don’t get why people complicate this matter. It’s really **** simple.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes – it is really simple. You are not more important in your car than the cyclist is. You do not have the right to bully your way past. Beeping your horn and having verbal with them is not sharing the road with them.

You need to behave like an adult and share the roads.

I cannot believe the anti bike rhetoric from a supposed cyclists forum

convert

Sharing the road is fine. But as a bike rider (or a runner or horse-rider), you also need to respect that fact that a car can cover distance faster than you, and as such, a sensible driver should be given the opportunity to overtake (safely).

As a driver, you should respect runners, horsey types, cyclists, etc – but also be aware that you can power past them once the opportunity arises.

Simples.

I’d give up now if I were you SM. You are talking about common sense and reasonableness in this issues with TJ. He doesn’t do common sense and reasonableness. He’ll just spout highway code and total a unbending single-sided logic at you in the manner of one of those little terriers that has got hold of your ankle until the point where you’ll want to top yourself. Do yourself a favour and find something else to do.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Bikes are traffic – they don’t hold up traffic

This. Terribly sorry to hear that they delayed your arrival to the knarly trails for two miles though.

How come when you see mtb’ers on the road they are not in a bunch 2/3 abrest (sic)?

Maybe because their bars are as wide as three roadies riding alongside each other?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Convert – do you really think beeping your horn and shouting at cyclists because they want to ride on the road is acceptable?

That is not reasonable behaviour.

convert

Sorry, I’ve had this conversation with you before. What I think or don’t think is totally irrelevant to you as you don’t come here to learn or debate but to preach and as such there is very little point in bothering to type it.

teethgrinder

When the chance to overtake presents itself take it, but halfway through the manouvre, change up a gear, floor it and envelop them in a cloud of PM10’s and carcinogens – if in a diseasal, of course.

spacemonkey

Like Convert says, you just don’t get it TJ. It’s not about bullying – that’s bullshit. It’s about respecting other road users. In a car, I can cover ground more quickly than a bike. End of.

I’ve said it before on here and I’ll say it again: I honestly believe that the horsey types around here are more respectful of cars than many cyclists. At least they look for an opportunity to ‘pull over/in’ and let people past, as opposed to hogging the (often singletrack country) road.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spacemonkey

It’s not about bullying It’s about respecting other road users. In a car,

spacemonkey
    if they’re riding 2-3 abreast for no reason then I’ll beep ’em. Have on occasion decided to get verbal because they just won’t move

sounds really respectful to me 🙄 Not bullying at all.

What makes you so important that the bikes have to get out of your way instantly?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Convert – its about pointing out to people their unacceptable attitudes.

spacemonkey

Like I said TJ, you just don’t get it. Can’t be bothered anymore. Sounds to me like you think cyclists have a right of way regardless. That’s just bollocks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its you that does not get it. Blowing your horn and shouting at bike riders so you can get past is unacceptable

Nor do you understand that its a shorter line to overtake if they are side by side – and that they take up no greater width cos you shouldn’t ride in the gutter.

Learn to share the road – sharing does not mean bikes have to get out of your way instantly.

I do understand – you and your car are so important your needs outweigh everyone else’s

anto164
    Free Member

we normally ride 2 abreast on the road as it’s safer. Never had a nearly moment when 2 abreast, but had many when i’ve been out on my own.

wellhung
    Free Member

Sorry, I’ve had this conversation with you before. What I think or don’t think is totally irrelevant to you as you don’t come here to learn or debate but to preach and as such there is very little point in bothering to type it.

You’re right, but then you already knew this to be true but i thought i point it out anyway lol

RoterStern
    Free Member

Surely it is in fact easier to overtake a bunch of cyclists safely when they are in group rather than single file as the driver only has to actually drive on the opposite side of the road for a shorter amount of time?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Why do some people on bikes …?’ is closed to new replies.