Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Why do some people cycle with their knees sticking out?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Does it feel more comfortable for some people? Are they not aware of it? Maybe no one has ever made them aware of it?

I mean when looking at some riders from the back.

Just curious, it doesn’t look very comfortable to me. Surely it would cause some kind of muscle imbalance too.

cheez0
    Free Member

big baws

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rickets

shindiggy
    Free Member

Saddles too low.

maccruiskeen

hot baws

fenred
    Free Member

Apolloitis 😕

RustySpanner

So my thighs avoid contact with my belly.

wwaswas

To prevent chafing.

weeksy

i do it because Valentino Rossi is my hero, sometimes i even trail a leg into corners to slow me down.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ah, that’s me.
    Sometimes a gait just can’t be corrected. I look awful on a bike.
    Saddle too low? A bike fit wanted my saddle lower, that made it worst and affected my in the saddle climbing.
    In my case it’s my feet, they point out slightly and that takes the knee with it.
    I could use fixed cleats and wedges, I’ve not tried that and I won’t either.
    Hasn’t stopped me riding, sub 1 hour 25, long 21 minute 10 won some early road races, won a biathlon and doing loads of other stuff.

oldgit
    Free Member

do it because Valentino Rossi is my hero, sometimes i even trail a leg into corners to slow me down.

They say I do it because of all the riding around council estates as a kid.

proberts
    Free Member

I do this, dunno why…..just feels right. And looks cool.

Northwind

Works for Crawfy…

[video]http://vimeo.com/41035004[/video]

I don’t do it climbing, but I do it consciously when descending, my riding position’s a bit exaggerated… TBH I’m not sure if the different stance is functionally better for riding bikes, but it seems to put me into a better frame of mind or state of readiness or something, I ride more relaxed if I’m striking MBUK cover shot poses…

Drac

Not everyone is the same. What is comfy for you may not be for them.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I don’t do it climbing, but I do it consciously when descending,

Yeah that’s me too, find it helps with balance when flying over the rough stuff. Was mainly talking about flat/uphill riding.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Badly fitting bike. Bloke i train with used to do it, after a 5 hour bike fit, he doesn’t any more. 🙂

Moses

Having bow legs & feet that point outwards. It’s how some poeple are built.
    My mother-in-law used to call them dew-beaters. I thought she’d said jew-beaters.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just curious, it doesn’t look very comfortable to me. Surely it would cause some kind of muscle imbalance too.

yes it does, i went the other way. high arches/pronation that flat road shoes meant knees brushed the top tube, made the outer thigh muscle (vastis medialis?) overdeveloped, cured with footbeds and shims to make the knee track in a straight line. sorted the muscle imbalance too.

having been ‘treated’ i notice knee tracking issues in other riders.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I could use fixed cleats and wedges, I’ve not tried that and I won’t either.
    Hasn’t stopped me riding, sub 1 hour 25, long 21 minute 10 won some early road races, won a biathlon and doing loads of other stuff.

i was faster/more efficient after having footbeds/shims fitted and pedalling in a straight line.
    just sayin like.

tonyd

Too much riding with a mid mounted child seat? I only have to ride to shop with mine and I feel like my knees will explode.

kudos100
    Free Member

So I can pretend to be Sam Hill.

scud
    Free Member

I was told a useful tip by a Specialized store when i went to buy some disco slippers.

If you do a one legged squat, with the other foot tucked behined the knee of the squatting leg (hope that makes sense) your knee should point straight ahead. if it points outwards from centre or inwards that is what needs to be corrected

motozulu
    Free Member

Was this the fella you were following?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Why do some people cycle with their knees sticking out?’ is closed to new replies.