Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Why do some cyclists judge others so freely over their choice of route?
  • thecaptain
    Free Member

Just wondering what motivates cyclists to criticise someone else who merely makes a different judgment or route choice.

curto80
    Free Member

Sure

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also why is the sky blue, it’s not a trait that is exclusive to cyclists.

callmetc
    Free Member

I would say it’s because riding on a accident hotspot just because your afraid to go through a underpass that might have a youth walking through it is just retarded.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Peoples attitudes to risk vary massively from person to person.

Subjective safety is a complex topic.

phil40
    Free Member

Tea and biscuits anyone

gwaelod
    Free Member

I don’t like hot tea it burns my lips…and My previous experiences mean I’m afraid of choking on biscuit crumbs.

Can I have a glass of unpasteurised milk and some fugu instead please.

allthepies
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz_e10dn7dQ[/video]

TheBrick
    Free Member

Thwow him to the floor centurion, very wufly!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Going to the lakes and riding whin latter you mean? 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

What’s this thread about? What have I missed?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Some people prefer to do the Jacobs Ladder route backwards. They are, of course, doing it worng.

jekkyl

Op that route you took yesterday was shit. Go a different way next time.

garage-dweller

If this in reference to the guy who posted about cycling on the 50mph dual carriageway it strikes me as a bit harsh.

It struck me he just didn’t get why and thought they were a bit daft so asked the question. If we question nothing we learn very little.

In particular I think his point was the cycle provision was quite good there relative to the risks of the road alternative rather than the usual horrors that pass for cycle facilities where the risk/benefit is different.

epicyclo

thecaptain – Member
    Just wondering what motivates cyclists to criticise someone else who merely makes a different judgment or route choice.

It’s mainly road cyclists who are like that.

It’s caused by peer group pressure, and it’s quite logical when you think about it.

Roadies spend their days riding as close as possible to the fundamental orifice of the rider in front, so all they see is arseholes, hence they feel it appropriate to behave accordingly.

Simple, really.

(BTW what’s the smiley for tongue firmly in cheek? – and no, not that cheek)

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Having recently got back into MTBING after a long lay-off, whilst regularly taking part in another sporting activity (Ice Hockey), the judgemental attitudes some cyclists have is really noticeable.

I play for an ice hockey team with all manner of players, who use all levels of kit and have a variety of ability levels, yet the vast majority of ‘chirping’ players give and receive is purely gamesmanship. When the game is finished hands are shook and everyone goes down the pub etc, there is nowhere near the level of cliques that can be seen in cycling.

Not saying all cyclists are cliquey and judgemental, just that such attitudes are far more apparent among this sport than the other one I regularly take part in.

brooess
    Free Member

Not saying all cyclists are cliquey and judgemental, just that such attitudes are far more apparent among this sport than the other one I regularly take part in.

Same with running. Years ago I used to skydive and there was a clear mutual respect for everyone who had the balls to do it, although there were some rather unbalanced people in that sport so it wasn’t all sweet and smiley!

I find, though, that when people are actually riding there’s none of the daft cliqueyness you get online so it may be an online thing rather than a real thing…

Mind you, with driving, the level of stupid judgementalism is very much present in the moment of driving…

thecaptain
    Free Member

epicyclo, I find it’s more usually MTBers who seem baffled/hostile/clueless about the reasons why other cyclists might choose to ride on a particular road, or maybe without a h*lm*t, or with/without mudguards, or with more/fewer gears/suspension/gizmos…

maccruiskeen

Some people prefer to do the Jacobs Ladder route backwards.

How can they see where they’re going?

epicyclo

thecaptain – Member
    epicyclo, I find it’s more usually MTBers who seem baffled/hostile/clueless about the reasons why other cyclists might choose to ride on a particular road, or maybe without a h*lm*t, or with/without mudguards, or with more/fewer gears/suspension/gizmos…

Nah, that’s because mtbers are easily puzzled. Especially singlespeeders. It’s probably to do with the insulation from their helmets overheating their brains. Or if they’re gearies because they’re frustrated that they don’t have enough digits to operate all those tiny levers on their handlebars.. 🙂

sirromj

Lycra too tight, restrict bloodflow to brain.

andyl
    Free Member

I often wonder why groups on nice full suspension bikes go up to the top of Rowberrow and then ride down the fire roads/bridleways when there is a lot of nicer ways down.

mlbaker
    Free Member

If this post is in response to mine about cycling on dual carriage ways I think garage-dweller under stood the question I was asking. I wasn’t judging the lycra clad, moron.

Rorschach
    Free Member

jam-bo

Try surfing. So much hate…

Daffy

I genuinely find some cyclists choice of route to be utterly bewildering.

For instance – why would you cycle along the 4174 Bristol ring road when there’s a purpose built cycle path that parallels the road? You’re sharing the road with nutter commuters trying anything to get to work 3 minutes early?!

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I think it’s social media and not the subject that creates the behaviour OP..

cookeaa

I’m bewildered by some of the things others find “bewildering“…

As I implied on the other thread, I think people puzzled by others cycling route choices just have a bit of a “driver-centric” way of thinking about the roads…

It might not be your choice or even my choice of route, but if it’s not actually against the law just steer round them and get on with your journey… Life is too short to be so easily bewildered.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Lycra judgment – that’s another one… 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy – Member
    I think it’s social media and not the subject that creates the behaviour OP..

As long as I’ve known people, they have done this. Social media may make things more obvious but it’s human nature for some people. I’m thinking there are not many people who at some point haven’t at least sub consciously looked at someone and thought “why?”

brooess
    Free Member

I genuinely find some cyclists choice of route to be utterly bewildering.

Why not go and ask them? You might then understand why they’ve made the choice they’ve made. The old ‘to understand a man, walk a mile in his shoes’ idea…

There’s plenty of scenarios in this thread where people explain why they make the choices they do to ride on the main road…

The best solution for reducing bewilderment is education…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Why do some cyclists judge others so freely over their choice of route?’ is closed to new replies.