Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Why do some cyclists favour a 50mph dual carriage way over a decent cycle path
  • mlbaker
    Free Member

On my commute on the A631 I regularly see fellow cyclists choosing to ride on the dual carriage way as opposed to the very smooth, wide and car free cycle lane next to it. And as cycle lanes go this is a good one ie it isn’t 3m long.

Are cycle lanes uncool with hardened roadies?

jekkyl

covered in glass and dog eggs usually, what do you care?

mattyfez

Depends, it’s hard to see the condition of cycle lanes when whizzing past in a car, many are built and then never maintained, poorly designed, and if you couple that with general debris.. The road might be the smoother option.

mlbaker
    Free Member

For the year I’ve used the path dog shit and glass has not been an issue. And I don’t care unlike some motorists. But I do wonder why

brooess
    Free Member

Depends, it’s hard to see the condition of cycle lanes when whizzing past in a car, many are built and then never maintained, poorly designed, and if you couple that with general debris.. The road might be the smoother option.

This. Where I live we have fully segregated network and I’ve had to change from 25c tyres to 28c to cope with the constant getting rattled by the lousy surface. Looks smoother than a baby’s bum until you’re actually riding on it.

The few road sections I do on my commute are bliss.

At weekends when the roads are quieter I will use the main roads – it’s smoother and also quicker for the same distance as you don’t have to stop start all the time – the roads are direct but the cycle paths meander.

We need to get the general public to appreciate this so they can stop judging cyclists who (entirely legitimately) choose to use the road and assuming they’re being deliberately awkward… (as the OP appears to be)

joff
    Free Member

I drive a busy dual carriageway between newcastle and congleton and it bamboozles me as to why cyclists choose the unlit, national speed limit drag strip over a perfectly nice, much slower trot via a local village which even links in at both ends. Low and behold a cyclist was killed on it last year in the early hours of the morning. I’ve ridden it once and it was terrifying.

thegreatape
    Free Member

We need to get the general public to appreciate this so they can stop judging cyclists who (entirely legitimately) choose to use the road and assuming they’re being deliberately awkward… (as the OP appears to be)

I don’t hold much hope of this. I’ve been at community council meetings were this question has been raised and answered by a previous cop who was a keen road cyclist. Despite a full explanation in line with what’s written above, someone on the CC got in touch with the council and were told that the tarmac used on the cyclepath was suitable for all bikes including road bikes, so that was the end of it – cyclists on the road were arseholes, end of.

Cougar

For the year I’ve used the path dog shit and glass has not been an issue. And I don’t care unlike some motorists. But I do wonder why

There are many situationally dependent reasons why anyone may or may not do something, of which many still may be valid. But I wouldn’t overlook the fact that some people just like to be contrary.

Perhaps they’re trolling motorists in order to become the next YouTube sensation?

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’m with the OP on this one. It might be perfectly legal to ride on the dual carriageway A road, but what’s legal isn’t always necessarily sensible.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Strava?

Garry_Lager

Taking the cycle path is seen as ceding your right of way for some cyclists, sure. Compartmentalising cars on the road, and cyclists on a separate path is something to resist, from this point of view.

A-road cycle lanes out in the sticks might be ok, but urban ones just shitify the ride. One’s just been laid down over 3 or 4 miles on the south approach into Manchester – Wide open road that you could ride quickly and safely is now narrow and awkward, with cars extra resentful of your presence. It goes through the curry mile which is funny in the evening – cycling meets ten-pin bowling.

bigrich

cycle lanes ain’t as good for head down, arse up, aerotuck 40kph+ efforts

mlbaker
    Free Member

I strava the route and don’t think this is the reason

footflaps

I generally ride on roads rather than cycle paths – you have right of way over side junctions and a smoother surface.

MoreCashThanDash

I don’t ride dual carriageways unless they are 40mph or lower. Too scary at faster speeds.

But I often use roads because many cyclepaths are rubbish.

Junkyard
    Free Member

THIS most cyle lanes have not really been designed with cylist son mine

One forced you to stop as the angle was so bad you could not even look over your shoulder at each point of a roundabout and i had to give way to everything
    On the road i could see and had right of way [ sometimes
    It was faster and it was safer

I guess they do it because they want to just like you cycle where you want to

Who cares what other cyclists or road users do as long as it does not endanger you and it’s legal ??

TheBrick
    Free Member

If it’s anything like the one near me the tarmac is rough as anything but it looks fine when driving. It’s also has the usual narrow, shared use, in convenient entry and exit point from the direction that it is on the opposite side of. Usual waste of money.

konabunny
    Free Member

Why is everyone being so tetchy?

ctk
    Free Member

The amount of cycle paths that go in front or basically through peoples driveways! And being expected to stop at junctions! Daftness.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what the **** do you mean by that eh well WHAT

anagallis_arvensis

The problem with most cycle lanes iscthat using them means you have to crosscmany more junctions and junctions are the main source of danger.

mlbaker
    Free Member

As said above this path is good in every way, I agree most are shit and I generally ride on the road, which in Sheffield/Rotherham is often in poor condition.

But given the choice between road and a good path I’d always choose the path.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you want to get a move on, then yes many cycle paths are awful. They might:

1) be crossed by loads of entrances and be closer to them so sight lines are terrible

2) Be full of pedestrians and much slower cyclists having a leisurely pootle.

3) Occasionally sod off into a housing estate like the one on the A48 through Newport

Any of these can make them frustrating or downright dangerous when you’re trying to train and are doing 23mph.

As for dual carriageways – I don’t like them myself unless there’s a wide hard shoulder. Then they are pretty safe imo. Except for the on and off ramps, you have to watch and give way on those.

Cycleways are good for leisure cyclists or MTBers on their way back from trails. You might say that we don’t have the right to charge around as fast as we want, but actually we do – on the road, where it’s perfectly safe if motorists drive properly.

brooess
    Free Member

But given the choice between road and a good path I’d always choose the path.

Assuming that’s the real-life choice of course – as described above by many, it’s often not the choice – the path not a good one – it’s rough, full of hazards or putting the rider in danger by repeatedly crossing traffic…

Part of my commute goes past a hospital. I ride the road. The ‘perfectly good’ cycle path isn’t that good IMO – it crosses car park traffic 3 times in 200 yards – the drivers are trying to negotiate the car park, they’re not looking for cyclists and at each crossing point there are high hedges which block visibility for both the cyclists and the drivers. I found this out when I nearly got hit last month. I’ve not come near being hit since I started using the road.

The road is clear, smooth and I’m more visible on there than I am on the path…

mattyfez

Dunno then, personally I’d use it if it was the better option.

thorlz
    Free Member

I drive a busy dual carriageway between newcastle and congleton and it bamboozles me as to why cyclists choose the unlit, national speed limit drag strip over a perfectly nice, much slower trot via a local village which even links in at both ends. Low and behold a cyclist was killed on it last year in the early hours of the morning. I’ve ridden it once and it was terrifying.

Would that be the A34? If so I’ve got that beat.
    I’ve seen a couple of people riding on the A500.
    Baffles me as to why, it really is a border line suicide attempt. Would scare the crap out of me.

I know they are legally entitled to do so and road users should be paying attention, but in reality when driving on a dual carriageway, with both lanes travelling at 60mph+ you really don’t expect to come across a cyclist at 20mph, if that.

brooess
    Free Member

Baffles me as to why

Some of my local solo rides have me riding along a 70mph A-road.

The reason why?

Cos the nice, quiet country roads I like riding on do, at times, come to an end (funnily enough!) The only way to get back on to the next nice quiet, country road, is to ride along the main road for a few hundred yards.

I’m constantly watching over my shoulder at these points as I believe the vast majority of drivers will be blatting along at full chat and if they even see me they’ll be sitting there all judgemental thinking “Baffles me as to why, it really is a border line suicide attempt. Would scare the crap out of me.”

I don’t know if people have always been this stupidly judgemental about cyclists or whether it’s a recent thing, or social media just reveals it to the rest of us 😯

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Pffff, like when has molgrips evah done 23mph, apart from that time he got done for speeding

But yeah cycle lanes are built to footpath spec so just go bumpy dead quickly, but if they were built to carriageway spec they’d cost a brazillion quid a metre and just never get built

edhornby

There is one on my commute, it has ‘cyclist dismount’ signs at every junction and when it gets to the big roundabout where it meets the motorway, you are directed to a footpath underpass.

They have put in a junction that gives the cars right of way to drive in and out of the new KFC

Sod that

imnotverygood

obelix
    Free Member

I’d fall into the aforementioned “judgemental” category.

The dual carriageway A-road which I used to commute on in the mornings had loads of cyclists. Average speed in the right-hand lane was no less than 80mph, left lane ranged from 50-70mph. Witnessed loads of swerving from left lane to right to get past cyclists, with attendant slamming on of brakes by the X5’s and Audis in the right lane. The cyclists’ presence basically turned an almost-chaotic situation (morning rush hour full of frustrated middle-managers) into a bubble of fully-fledged chaos in their immediate vicinity.

Not sure if (or how many) cyclist casualties occurred along this stretch, but I’d be surprised if it was in single figures. As mentioned earlier, just because something’s legal doesn’t automatically make it sensible.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course, that’s where judgement comes in.

dobo
    Free Member

Ive seen people ride on the A34 down south, crazy, clearly they are idiots..
    What is more worrying though is sections of road that may appear inconspicuous and worth a go like the section of A3057 between kings somborne and stockbridge. By the map its fairly short piece of A road that you might think is not busy. YOU ARE WRONG ITS LETHAL.
    This section is very dangerous for bikes and can easily be avoided by going up cow drove hill.

brooess
    Free Member

just because something’s legal doesn’t automatically make it sensible.

And what if something’s necessary to complete your journey? FFS 😯

We can’t go around labelling cyclists for ‘being in the wrong’ whenever they ride along a bit of road that we randomly judge ‘not sensible’. There may well be a very good reason for it like, for example, they have no other choice!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

When I commute to Kendal on the A590 (c.20miles and alterates beteeen high speed single and dual) there are sections that truly are terrifying but if you add up all the additional time for the quiter routes you’d be looking at another 30-40 mins which would render it undoable. That said maybe 50% is on cycle way/back roads with only a couple of miles of really bad stuff. But the bad stuff is BAAAAD.

obelix
    Free Member

And what if something’s necessary to complete your journey? FFS

We can’t go around labelling cyclists for ‘being in the wrong’ whenever they ride along a bit of road that we randomly judge ‘not sensible’. There may well be a very good reason for it like, for example, they have no other choice!

If you say so.

As far as necessary goes, this is Aberdeen I’m talking about, pretty sure their finances could stretch towards one of those X5’s or Audis. Even the chavs up here drive GTi’s…

And also on the necessary theme, there were only really loads of them on the warm and sunny mornings, so they definitely had alternative transport.

But each to their own, at least my car has crumple zones.

joff
    Free Member

Would that be the A34? If so I’ve got that beat.
    I’ve seen a couple of people riding on the A500.
    Baffles me as to why, it really is a border line suicide attempt. Would scare the crap out of me.

Sure is the 34 that bit over the hill by makro is a drag strip. I use Red Street personally but I see a regular gang of cyclists mixing it up with the top speed challenge from talke roundabout to the crest of the hill. Nuts

bob_summers

Mmm judgement. I was judged to be in the wrong for not using the cycle path a couples of weeks ago. Driver close-passed, then brake checked me, then went right round a roundabout, crossed the centre line and deliberately hit me head on. Could have been avoided I think, by holding my primary position better, so that’s what I do.

Lifer
    Free Member

Used to do 200 yards on the A264 which during rush hour is very busy. I preferred that (and the roundabout to get on it) then taking the quiet road and then trying to cross it in one of the tiny gaps between 70mph cars driven by people only caring about getting to work. In road shoes.

When driving one day I did see some cycling it further along, with a trailer 😯

jeffl

Yep regularly see people cycling on the A61 between Sheffield and Chesterfield. Never use it myself. Seems to range from full on Lycra boys and girls going full pelt to a random old guy dressed in black on a BSO.

Seems odd as you can go via dronfield or take some of the quieter roads towards the edge of the peaks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Why do some cyclists favour a 50mph dual carriage way over a decent cycle path’ is closed to new replies.