• This topic has 111 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Stu_N.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • Why do so many people still display the 'tax disc' on their vehicles?
  • dickyhepburn
    Free Member

+1 for trail rat my old disc will stay in landy window when it is going again.

ps trail rat – does the 1988 tax disc mean its been off the road that long (please say yes as makes me look good to wife as i’ve been getting mine “back on the road” for only 5 years)

eltonerino
    Free Member

Even when I take out the tax disc, I’ll still have the MOT disc in there 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

not at all – that was just its first disk.

according to reciepts and mots and old tax disks – it was on the road from 97-2010. I took it off the road april 2010 – bought a house , renovated mostly a house then started stripping it in april this year – aiming to have it back on the road for my wedding in july 2015.

“No idea. How would I know?”

brown envelope with a fine ?

njee20
    Free Member

+another for the “doesn’t bother me in the slightest”.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

driving all that time without being pinged by anpr…. just a lucky lad not to have an accident.

There used to be a few weeks grace, maybe theres still enough leeway to let you drive home?

Plus a few days/weeks for the V5 to be processed?

metalheart
    Free Member

Jeez, I’ve still to put up blinds since moving in back in May, I think the tax disc is there to stay…. 😳

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just found last years disc in my laptop bag still in its perforated surround. Expired on the 11th. Saved myself a job there. [SMUG FACE].

MoreCashThanDash

When I remember I might replace mine with the helpful ICE thingy that one of the Police forces came up with. But really can’t be bothered.

DezB
    Free Member

Surprised anyone notices, or even thinks about such a thing, let alone gets annoyed by it. Mine’s still in the car window because… er…

alanf
    Free Member

Were you annoyed every time you got in a car before they were abolished?
    As I’ve never known any different it’s still there in the corner.
    Might take it out one day if I can be bothered.
    Not a big deal in my book and doing a quick survey out of the window at the cars I can see, it doesn’t seem to bother anyone else either around here – not a single one removed*

* It is a small population I am basing this on though.

scuttler

Dude – quick check the tins in your cupboard to make sure all the labels are pointing in the same direction. I can’t f%%£$ing stand it when the Minestrone doesn’t line up with the Chicken Broth.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As I said I don’t like stickers on car windows. Did it annoy me before – no, because it had to be there.

It’s not a big deal in my book either, did I say it was? But you know it was a 10 second task, not a lot of effort as I was in the passenger seat anyway.

Sorry can’t take anyone seriously that says ‘dude’.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Scenario:

Lets say your Disc runs out the end of November say, it then expires, you re Tax it online but leave the old one in there?
    Anyone gonna say/do anything about it?

Mines up at the end of the Month, just re Taxed it online but am thinking of leaving the Disc in there, you know just to annoy some folks 😆

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Why do so many people does anybody get bothered about whether other people still display the ‘tax disc’ on their vehicles?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

am thinking of leaving the Disc in there, you know just to annoy some folks

I might keep mine and move it from car to car. Just because

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why can’t some people read all the posts instead of trying to be smart and then looking a wee bit stupid 🙂

stumpy01

peteimpreza – Member
    Anyone been “pinged” by ANPR since the change?

In my area the Police prescence is virtually non esistent, I can’t see any government agency taking the time, trouble or money to monitor the local vehicles by way of ANPR.

Seems like there will be a massive increase in vehicles without the correct VED once the general public cotton on no one is monitoring the situatuion.

Quite often get passed on the A1 by the DVLA van with a camera on each corner – I am guessing that is ANPRing everyone?

boxelder

Ours is hidden behind the imbricated layers of old parking tickets……

verses

I have general paranoia that it was all a ruse and they haven’t scrapped it at all…

Also, can’t be bothered to do anything about it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh my wifes the same, has the new disc we received at the end of September stuck on the notice board in the kitchen just in case they change the rules back. 🙂

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I can just about manage to fuel up every month, footwell detritus is my main worry at the moment, oh and two of the tires look under inflated.

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t have a car – but I do display this on the rear mounted child seat on my bike (along with a fair few other stickers and lots of mud)

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Accusing the OP of OCD?

From the website where a new bike will be fastidiously checked for logo / vale alignment before anyone comments on component choice 😉

I had no idea that leaving the tax disc on my Land Rover might possibly annoy someone.
    Now that I know, I will definitely leave it there. A bit like deliberately misaligning my valves and tyre logos. 😉

cheney
    Free Member

I have a smiley face air freshener in mine, fits perfectly.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I had no idea that leaving the tax disc on my Land Rover might possibly annoy someone. Now that I know, I will definitely leave it there.

As I’ve already said I’m not bothered about anyone else’s vehicle, just mine.

But you crack on anyway, whatever makes you happy.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ll take mine off when it expires, if I can be bothered. Our local council household waste site permit is exactly the same size, so that will go in the holder in its place, so I’m sorry if that offends the OP. Look a bit closer next time

<edit> no I’m not

wilburt
    Free Member

Makes sense to leave it until it expires as a reminder to tax it under the new system.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use use the letter they send as a reminder, works well.

Cougar

I might find a nice cycling logo to replace it though.

Maybe we should come up with one?

It’s even round and everyfink.

br
    Free Member

Mine’s still in, but as an aside it is due at the end of the month and I’ve not yet received my reminder.

I’ve had the car over a year and had the reminder for the previous one.

jota180
    Free Member

Another one here that can’t be bothered
    I haven’t even removed previous ones, there must be 3 in there now

Besides, the holder has my insurance and breakdown details on the back of it

jambalaya
    Free Member

Besides, the holder has my insurance and breakdown details on the back of it

This, I’ll end up keeping the holder in the glove box !

jambourgie
    Free Member

Path of least resistance… It’s more hassle to remove it, and for what? I don’t even wash my cars. That last disk is gonna stay there forever, like a time capsule 🙂 Plus, it prevents any ill-informed-motoring-fanatic-have-a-go-hero’s from attempting a citizens arrest for non-payment of ‘road tax’.

BFITH
    Free Member

You mean we don’t have to display them any more?
    TSK…always the last….

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve only been in my car 2 or 3 times since the rules changed, on all occasions I’ve forgotten to remove it*.

I’ll probably keep forgetting to remove it, I doubt I’ll be any more bothered in the future than I am now, which is not at all in the slightest.

*also, I don’t have a tax disc holder, the disk is just stuck to the windscreen with gaffer tape, so removing it will probably be a sticky awkward job, easier to wait and see if it falls off of it’s own accord.

tomd
    Free Member

Can’t be bothered, not doing any harm sitting there. Also, the tax disc holder has been stuck thee for 10years and will leave a massive big glue-ey mark if I take it off. I don’t really want to spend hours getting high on acetone trying to scrape it off.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tax disc?
    I haven’t displayed one on any of my motorbikes since just after I bought my second bike in 1998. I used to put a photocopy in there with COPY written over it but someone said that was technically forging the disc, so I removed it all together at that point. I’ve been stopped a few times over those years and no copper has ever even noticed.
    Tax discs have been irrelevant for many years now IMO, but it’s no change for me. 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

As I’ve already said I’m not bothered about anyone else’s vehicle, just mine.

But you crack on anyway, whatever makes you happy.

ummmm

Why do so many people still display the ‘tax disc’ on their vehicles?

You do know that stuff on the internet stays there for a while – possibly even longer than a tax disc on a non-OCD driver’s car?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Can’t see mine for the beer cans

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Why do so many people still display the 'tax disc' on their vehicles?’ is closed to new replies.