• This topic has 81 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by devs.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Why do road bikers never say hi ??
  • stennah
    Free Member

What’s occurring ??
    Just built up my Transition Bandit (what a machine by the way) took her for a spin and passed quite a few road bikers on my way to some of roading they aged from 18-70 and not one of them acknowledged me even though I said hi ??
    Has the tight Lycra made them mute or is it something else ? I won’t bother next time my turn to be ignorant

simondbarnes

Mostly just a nod or a raised finger. Maybe you missed them?

jam-bo

It’s just you.

scaredypants
    Rorschach
    Free Member

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Sometimes I’ll get a friendly hello from them, but it’s usually the minority. I do however love to give the moody roadies who stare straight ahead and ignore my existence a very big and loud ‘speshul’ hello. It usually wakes them up.

Its got to be the Lycra, I’m sure they’re all in denial and pretending nobody can see them. Or they’re totally zoned into a back water starva segment attempt……

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Fine with me. Unless they’re really going for it I usually get a hi. Usually a polite call before they overtake…
    No problems.

jimmyoto
    Free Member

Haha, don’t feel bad. Even when on my actual road bike they only started to acknowledge my existance once I started wearing fingerless gloves!!

stevious

If removing the valve core and using a bit of sealant doesn’t work then you could try adding another layer of tape.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve heard all sorts of explanations over the years from being too in the ‘zone’ to even know we are there ..but the one that made me chuckle the most was that they don’t like the fact that we are hurting our bikes by taking them off road and wearing out parts / getting them dirty..
    This was from a fairly serious rider..
    I now only speak when I am spoken to .. 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I usually acknowledge most people when I’m out on the road bike…..except for those who’re making a big fuss and a scene, shouting “hi” and waving their arms. I’ve found they’re generally MTBers on Enduro bikes, they definitely need to learn some social skills; I imagine they refer to their bike as a female aswell. Truly weird.

aP
    Free Member

Just a nod of the head or a raised finger usually. No need to get all shouty/ wavey/ stop for 20 minutes.
    I think y’all worry too much.

P-Jay
    Free Member

#bluesteel init.

whitestone
    Free Member

Phew! I thought I’d missed the monthly moan thread.

Hint to the OP – try removing your Gimp mask before heading out on a ride.

stennah
    Free Member

Nice to know it’s not just me think I’ll just keep myself to myself and be known as ‘that grumpy mountain biker I saw today’

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The look on two roadies faces as I passed them up Beacon Hill on my Wazoo (with 33mm tyre installed) on Thursday, while saying hi, was priceless. They took great exception and tried to stick with me, I just kept spinning and didn’t look back 😆

mattsccm
    Free Member

I dozens of MTBers and all the grumpy sods do is ride 3 abreast, blind you with daft lights when its dusk and completely fail to hold a conversation at 20 mph. And they wear a silly uniform!

fossy

I’ve said “Hi” to a bunch of MTB’ers in Goyt Valley when on my Road bike – got ignored completely.

There are grumpy idiots everywhere.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I wave at them like a loon when I’m on the fat bike.

Sometimes they smile. I always do.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

the ones

never say hi

are extraterrestrial bikers.

No matter if road or mtb.
    Disguising both.

aged from 18-70

The ones around 70: these are the dangerous ones.
    8)

kiksy
    Free Member

99% seem to smile or nod back to me. Once I was even sat down on a verge waiting for a friend and had a large group of roadies pass by over the course of a few minutes. Nearly every one asked if I was ok.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Most days I feel like waving back at other riders. On some days, I just plain miss a rider coming past from the other direction, not cos I’m grumpy or riding my road bike.

I don’t wave at other car drivers or other Skoda drivers [if we’re talking about being social with people in fairly arbitrary/coincidental communities]….

TiRed

Always say hi. Except in Richmond Park, where it gets a bit tedious.

Wished a few walkers Merry Christmas on Christmas Day. I don’t think one replied 🙁

cheers_drive

From experience cyclists (including myself) riding road bikes raise a hand or nod to other road cyclists, they don’t often acknowledge mountain bikers / kids on bikes / chavs on bikes / commuters etc.
    These same cyclists on mountain bikes off road acknowledge other mountain bikers and walkers etc they see on the trail.

onandon
    Free Member

Because some dick on a mountain bike was blowing out of his ass trying to pass them while they were on their way to a 100mile solo ride .

scruff
    Free Member

Local trails so wet I did a not #gravel ride yesterday, got overtaken by a tractor on a road climb then big procession of cars idling past stuck behind tractor, I was almost sick from the fumes. Horrible.

Dilwyn
    Free Member

Whether roadies acknowledge me or not doesn’t bother me, I always say hello. What does annoy me is other mountain bikers in the forest who don’t say hello or anything, especially when they are on trails I’ve spent days, weeks or whatever building.
    Most roadies do seem to say hello though.

kerley
    Free Member

I would have ignored you just as I ignore everyone else when I am riding (Unless I see someone I know).
    I don’t say hi to everyone I walk past, I don’t wave at other drivers why do you feel I should say anything to you?

wilburt
    Free Member

Could we not make this a sticky for all the sensitive princesses to look at rather than start a new thread every month?

codybrennan
    Free Member

stennah – Member
    … and passed quite a few road bikers

Sure you did.

wallop

This again? Really?

SaxonRider

As primarily a roadie, I always say hi, whether to MTBers, other roadies, or pedestrians. Mostly because I like being nice to people, and find that they tend to be nice in return.

The only exception to this is if I am going swiftly downhill, and my eyes have watered so much, I have to concentrate more on staying alive and upright.

ERGO, I don’t know what the OP is on about.

dazh

Is this an end of year celebratory ‘roadies don’t wave at me’ thread to reminisce about past roadie indiscretions, or a premature 2018 one to get it off our chests in advance? If ever a sticky was needed on a subject this is it.

edit: beaten to it by wilburt

codybrennan
    Free Member

wallop – Member
    This again? Really?

Indeed. Its always the same pattern now, too: I was on a (insert name of nice MTB here) and passed (insert numbers and details of roadies here) on my way to (insert idyllic trail area name here).

Almost as if…its the same poster??

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I said hi ??
    Has the tight Lycra made them mute or is it something else ?

took her [/u]for a spin

HTH

devash
    Free Member

Oh no, not again!

Haze

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Not sure why people get so hung up over it…

parkesie
    Free Member

Sometimes I’m too busy hanging out of my arse

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cyclists IME generally acknowledge each other regardless of what they are riding so it’s quite likely it’s you and not them. Post a photo of yourself in your riding gear on your Bandit, preferably doing your wave, there are plenty of folk on here who ride road bikes who’ll let you know where you’re going wrong.

Ladders
    Free Member

Maybe they got fed up to saying hi to MTB,ers and getting blanked! VOE.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Why do road bikers never say hi ??’ is closed to new replies.