Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Why do record companies…
  • Flaperon

Make you buy the whole album for £13.99 when you only want one track? And then to rub it in, they make every other track on the album apart from the one you want available to buy individually.

nemesis
    Free Member

Did you pay £13.99 for it? Or did many other people? If so, you’ve answered your own question…

Stoner
    Free Member

Google play music – buy individual tracks off albums.

Flaperon

Did you pay £13.99 for it? Or did many other people? If so, you’ve answered your own question…

Nope.

unovolo
    Free Member

Probably another reason why alternative sources of download are popular i.e.Torrents.

annebr
    Free Member

Do they?

I either buy the CD and rip it or buy a track from iTunes.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Amazon also allow you to buy individual tracks rather than the whole album – although often buying the whole album works out cheaper than buying a number of its tracks.

be grateful it’s not still 1974. You’d have to buy a whole album full of cr@p

binners

What’s an album?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Even on iTunes – theres plenty like that.
    The track you want isn’t available on its own.
    Youtube and a certain website you can enter the youtube link in to seem popular….

Stoner
    Free Member

come on then flapper, which track is it?

P-Jay
    Free Member

There a few tracks that are “album only” typically it’s some one-hit wonder from a few years ago or the one decent track on a compilation album.

But some artists have decided their albums are works in their own right and can only be appreciated in their entirety. Mostly the really pretentious ones from the 70’s “go figure” as they say.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Buying music in 2014?

Flaperon

Otis Taylor – Ten Million Slaves from the Public Enemies soundtrack. Although randomly since I looked at it an hour ago the price has dropped to £7.96 on Amazon.

Besides the point though, I only want one track!

Stoner
    Free Member

well I stand corrected. Never seen that before but the track is “album only” on google too. Sorry. Just torrent it, they brought it on themselves 😈

BTW, can you not buy it of the Otis album?

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bxh7wwsy4pshp4vqtdxzlm4lf5q&tid=song-Tm7pl7s7mir3cnsjmgbc77jve7q

Flaperon

Stoner – cheers, hadn’t seen that.

timc
    Free Member

If you tell us the Album & Track I will possibly be able to answer this for you, or atleast give you the possible reasons.

This is common practice, for various reasons, more so on compilations than artist albums though

It is not case of doing this for itunes & another for Amazon etc, it should be the same for each product across all retailers with a few exceptions.

john_drummer
    Free Member

chipsngravy – Member
    Buying music in 2014?

Yes please. Would you steal art or sculpture? If no, why steal music just because someone else has made it Easy to do so?
    Musicians have to eat too you know

Jamie
    Free Member

What’s an album?

Imagine a slice of pie. Now imagine if that slice of pie made noises. If all those slices of audio emitting pie were arranged onto a plate, then that would be an album.

jeffl

Would you shit in a policeman’s helmet 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

You wouldn’t download a car, would you!?

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Yes please. Would you steal art or sculpture? If no, why steal music just because someone else has made it Easy to do so?
    Musicians have to eat too you know

There is no need to steal music, stream it instead (ideally via paid premium subscription instead of freemium)

xiphon
    Free Member

@jeffl – Nice IT Crowd reference

tsurani
    Free Member

chipsngravy
    Free Member

CountZero

But some artists have decided their albums are works in their own right and can only be appreciated in their entirety. Mostly the really pretentious ones from the 70’s “go figure” as they say.

And why shouldn’t they? Of course it’s a work in its own right, musicians are artists, working in sound, and are perfectly within their rights to decide how what they’ve created is consumed.
    To whine about it just shows how much people believe themselves to be entitled to get something for free, or in a form that suits them and to hell with what the artist intended.
    I guess you’d be quite happy to only be paid for a hour’s work, just because your employer felt like you were only worth paying for that amount of time?
    Or for free, because your work could be Torrented?
    Get a clue, why don’t you. 🙄

john_drummer
    Free Member

Streaming… Isn’t that like listening to the radio? Where you never actually own a copy of the music? How very 1930s

The radio model works because the artists get royalties for every radio play. The radio station pays for this from its commercials income or, in the case of the BBC, the tv licence fee. I guess spotify and the like pay for it through their premium subscriptions. The artist still gets paid though.

wilburt
    Free Member

Jamie – Freeloader!
    You wouldn’t download a car, would you!?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

Not yet.
    The last album I bougtht- tonic for the troops,(woolworths c.1980) came with lots of songs that couldn’t be bought alone.

xiphon
    Free Member

The artist gets paid such an insignificant amount, some are pulling out of streaming media altogether.

BigJohn

I’ve spent more on music in the 18 months I’ve been subscribing to Spotify than I did for the last 15 years previously

unovolo
    Free Member

I guess spotify and the like pay for it through their premium subscriptions. The artist still gets paid though.

According to a Ms Taylor Swift its nowhere near enough something like $0.0006 per time.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Why do record companies…’ is closed to new replies.