Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • Why do people think that ownership of a decent bike makes somebody a crap rider!
  • andy3809
    Free Member

If I had a 6k super bike I’d have to make sure I was the fastest rider around these parts. It’s the same as the team sky brigade with matching socks, top, helmet ect ect, carbon super bike and a beer belly walking up hills.

Call it what you will but its not jealousy. I’d rather be a fast rider on a average/cheap bike than slow and unfit on an expensive one

psychobiker
    Free Member

I’d rather be on a bike.

scaredypants

I’d rather be a fast rider on a average/cheap bike than slow and unfit on an expensive one

I wouldn’t worry, it’s only incredibly shallow people that would think badly of you

If I had a 6k super bike I’d have to make sure I was the fastest rider around these parts. It’s the same as the team sky brigade with matching socks, top, helmet ect ect, carbon super bike and a beer belly walking up hills.

Oh

mrblobby
    Free Member

Here here to wrecker and MarkLG.

Call it what you will but its not jealousy. I’d rather be a fast rider on a average/cheap bike than slow and unfit on an expensive one

So you would somehow be more worthy if you are a slow unfit rider on a crappy bike? 🙄

therag
    Free Member

Some folk have cars that will go over 150 mph but don’t drive much over 70mph.
    Some have 4 bed houses but only sleep in 1 room.
    Some drink 12 pints but are drunk on 6.
    I don’t have any of the above so can afford an expensive bike which is more than I need

Sui
    Free Member

you is all carp on you £6k monsta’s man – got to keep it reels like…

if I could afford* a £6k bike I would, but the missus insists I pay the mortgage off more quickly.. Peaslake is like a show room these days for £6K+ bikes 🙁

edit@ to add I is better than all of you likes… 😛

*nakered old gspot with hand me down forks now in it’s 8th year..

bubs

@davosaurusrex – ok, but I feel like I haven’t earned it yet 😉
    I have had to do less “earning” since I took off the Ti coil ccdb.

andy3809
    Free Member

Nothing to do with being worthy or not, you just look a bit of a tit

garage-dweller

Therag nicely put

If someone has to push a 6k roadie up a hill why should I care?

Maybe they are loaded and just starting out, perhaps next time they will ride half of it and in the meantime them buying that kit is funding the bike companies and product development and possibly keeping someone in a job.

pdw
    Free Member

What i do think is that alot of people are over biked.Why take an 6″ travel bike on a canal towpath or say the verdeerers trail down the FOD.

Maybe they want to cycle down a canal towpath, but don’t happen to own a dedicated canal towpath bike, so instead ride the one that they’ve got?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nothing to do with being worthy or not, you just look a bit of a tit

Again 🙄

Luckily I doubt they give a sh*t about your opinion of how they look.

a dedicated canal towpath bike

Doesn’t everyone have one? 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Who cares? Even if you can ride you’ll probably be shit at something else (fighting or love making) so I’ll happily stick to two out of three.

If I could afford a carbon blur trc I wouldn’t hesitate. Do you think the opinion of a stranger would matter?

andy3809
    Free Member

I didn’t say that they would.. But what’s wrong in buying a 500 hard tail and upgrading as your skills and fitness progress?

Its like the guy at work who’s on 25k yet feels the need to finance a 30k Audi. I’d argue that the ones who need the fancy gear for no reason other than vanity have the problem.

RustySpanner

My God, I agree with Hora.

Ride what you like.
    A nice bike is a lovely thing to own.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Because they are a bit sad… tell ’em to faarrk off

mrblobby
    Free Member

Here here hora! Hmm one out of three isn’t too bad 🙂

Its like the guy at work who’s on 25k yet feels the need to finance a 30k Audi. I’d argue that the ones who need the fancy gear for no reason other than vanity have the problem.

I like bikes and hence spend a lot of time on rides talking to other people about their bikes. Generally find that people with nice bikes really appreciate what they have and get a lot of enjoyment from owning it, regardless of their riding abilities. I’ve not met anyone who’s just walked into a shop and brought the most expensive bike they could as some sort of “vanity” purchase. As RustySpanner says, a nice bike is indeed a lovely thing to own.

Oh and…

But what’s wrong in buying a 500 hard tail and upgrading as your skills and fitness progress?

Nothing at all wrong with that. If someone’s new to cycling and asked my opinion it’s along the lines of what I’d suggest.

andy3809
    Free Member

But do you not get the feeling that its consumerism gone mad? The magazines just pedal this stuff and the next week it’s there on the trails..

Guys bobbing around in £100 cycling tops and £100 shorts… What’s wron with just chuCking a t-shirt on and riding your bike?

garage-dweller

But the vanity is assumed. Maybe the chap with the 30k Audi lives at home and really likes cars (and Audis are nice in some respects).

scotroutes

Excellent!

andy3809
    Free Member

Still I’m probably not the most balanced on this issue due to spending my childhood pulling bikes out of the scrap metal skip and doing them up.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

A nice bike is nice to ride no matter how shit you are. If you have the money to chuck at a high end mountain bike then go for it. Whether you an give the athertons a run for their money is irrelevant. It’s nobody else’s business what you spend your money on or how well you can use the things you spend it on. If it gives you enjoyment who am I to tell you otherwise.

stevede
    Free Member

I don’t mind people who spunk mega bucks on this years latest must have bikes/wheelsets etc regardless of their ability, people like this keep the industry going, fair play if you can afford nice bikes then why the hell not, the people who simply must have this years model/colour are the also the ones that keep the rest of us benefitting in the classifieds section. I’ve always had a sh@t car/nice bike vibe going on, works for me 🙂 my bikes aren’t ultra bling, mid range dependable kit that I keep in the best working order that I can by looking after it.

chiefgrooveguru

My comprehensive survey, based on the hundred odd MTBers I’ve ridden with over the past few years, suggests that better riders are often on nicer bikes – probably because they do that weird thing of spending some of their disposable income on a hobby that they enjoy. Then again, I only ride with people who actually ride bikes! The beginner riders on cheaper/older bikes are usually having just as much fun (and crashing equally frequently) despite going slower…

hora
    Free Member

Who cares? Would you prefer that they give that hard earned money to charity instead and ride a £500 hardtail?

Lots of old men drive Porsche’s. Should they drive a Fiat Panda instead?

No. Stop being negative-Charlie’s.

mrblobby
    Free Member

But do you not get the feeling that its consumerism gone mad? The magazines just pedal this stuff and the next week it’s there on the trails..

Yup. It’s the same with any product. Brands work hard to make themselves desirable, and the ones that succeed often carry a premium price tag.

Guys bobbing around in £100 cycling tops and £100 shorts… What’s wron with just chuCking a t-shirt on and riding your bike?

Sweaty back 🙂

hora
    Free Member

‘ Oh look its all the gear’

…says the ‘cant afford/didnt listen at school no gear’.

zippykona

It annoys the **** out of me when I see a really expensive car with a crap bike on it.
    You’re rich, buy a nice bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It annoys the **** out of me when I see a really expensive car with a crap bike on it.
    You’re rich, buy a nice bike.

Or possibly… you can barely make the loan repayments on the car so can’t afford a nice bike to put on it!

I guess it’s the problem with making assumptions about peoples wealth/riding ability/success/penis size based on their material possessions.

Garry_Lager

There’s a tendency for strong riders to use ropey bikes for their training which plays to the stereotype. Like if you were on a group ride and a guy turned up on some on-one horror they’d pulled from a skip, what would you think? I’d prob assume, on first impressions, that they were an experienced rider who knew what they were doing. Whereas bloke on a 5k FS could be anything really.

andy3809
    Free Member

A fool and his money are soon parted

robpennock
    Free Member

Got overtaken today riding to work on my Transition Double (not a great commute bike) by a woman riding a hybrid not wearing a helmet, it was really funny, she was out of breath with the effort to pass me and when I said good morning she could not even answear me, the bike I was riding.. really cant type what im trying to say, cheers and gone

mrblobby
    Free Member

A fool and his money are soon parted

Buy cheap buy twice 😉

eyerideit
    Free Member

When I turn up somewhere with my Mojo I do feel a little self conscious for the exact reasons above, even though it’s 5 years old and I bought it secondhand.

BTW it goes on the top of a Focus, I firmly believe the bike should be worth more than the car.

maxtorque

I quite like how the whole thing unfolds when you ride with new people, from the “slight out the corner of your eye” checking out their ride as it comes out of/off their car, to what gear they have on, how “fat” they look 😉 how they sit on it, what sort of riding position do they adopt etc. In fact, you can generally spot the better riders before they have even swung a leg over their £6k SC….. 😉

I’ve ridden with superb riders on average bikes, and average riders on superb bikes, but funnily enough, generally, really crap bikes are not ridden by decent riders (because they are good enough to realise the bike is holding them back) and it’s rare to find really terrible riders on superbikes (because they realise it’s not worth them spending the money on a superbike)

Get a bike, any bike, get out and ride it!

You’ll quite often find me riding my 6″ bike on the towpath, mainly because i enjoy riding it. If i wanted to go super fast, i’d ride my sub 10kg race hardtail instead 😉 (and probably finish my ride feeling like i’ve been beaten up………..)

mrblobby
    Free Member

When I turn up somewhere with my Mojo I do feel a little self conscious for the exact reasons above, even though it’s 5 years old and I bought it secondhand.

When riding with new groups I have been known to dig out my tatty cheap winter bike and the oldest most non-descript bits of kit I can find in the bottom of my kit box for much the same reasons.

crosshair
    Free Member

My friend and I have both recently got back into mtbing. I did several events last year on a 10year old £200 GT. He did a couple on hired bikes.

He decided to buy what he considered to be a mid-range bike and spent around £500 on a Carrera hard tail.

I threw caution to the wind- I knew what I wanted, a light, fast, full suspension xc bike and whilst initially I wanted 26″ wheels, a go on a 29er convinced me and I blew £3k on an un discounted Scott Spark.

My gears work flawlessly- his have almost entirely been replaced by Halfords.
    My brakes work flawlessly- his seals went and the brakes have almost entirely been replaced by Halfords.
    My forks actually stopped locking out but were repaired under warranty- his stopped working and have been replaced by Halfords.
    My wheels are light, fast and strong- his have needed rebuilding and have now almost entirely been replaced by Halfords.
    My entire bike rolls silently along- his creaks and groans and clicks and grinds unless perfectly clean and adjusted.

I’ve been inspired to ride more and more and lost a stone in weight and am now well into xc racing- he rarely rides.

I couldn’t give a monkeys what people think- it’s my money and I’ll buy what I want thanks!!

(Although you have to be more inventive with your excuses 😉 )

conkers
    Free Member

I don’t have a problem with crap riders having nice bikes. Maybe because I’m one of them but I know two people with nice bikes that have ridden them once or twice and now the bikes languish in their sheds. I did get a bit angry though when one of them walked his spesh pitch down the weirwolf drop at Cannock.

joeelston
    Free Member

I was always under the impression to buy the best bike you can afford.

timc
    Free Member

I struggle to understand people’s concern with other people’s ‘skill’ levels & the way the choose to spend their hard earned on Bikes, Cars etc…

Lot of people are clearly jealous but try & say they aren’t by spouting utter bollocks about required bike/kit levels for skill set etc 🙄

When I see a £6k super bike I’m straight over to look at it, not for a moment do i resent it’s owner, I always think fair play for putting the graft in to treat yourself to a nice bike. Same with nice cars.

That said even your normal bikes like my Orange 5 get my attention, I like seeing other peoples bikes & im not alone, even a fetching blondie at Ladybowers earlier this year liked my filing cabinet 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

I can’t afford to spaff 6 grand on a bike but if I could then you bet I would spaff alright.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Why do people think that ownership of a decent bike makes somebody a crap rider!’ is closed to new replies.