Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 367 total)
  • Why do people think Southern England riding is crap?
  • chiefgrooveguru

Yes it's awful, don't come down here.

glenp
    Free Member

If you think Epping Forest is comparable to Surrey Hills you really haven't ridden around the South enough.

well said wwaswas – best stay where you are.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

page boundary bump

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I've ridden Surrey Hills most weekends for 5 years and tbh I've got bored.

Theres LOADS more riding than just the surrey hills. You've got the whole of the north downs, south downs and chilterns at the very least. Furhter afield theres Dorest, Isle of Wight, Quantocks, and its only 2-3 hours to South Wales.

TheBrick
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member

and its only 2-3 hours to South Wales.

If you live in west London maybe and want to spend shit loads of fuel.

brassneck

hovis stopped doing doorstep deliveries

Hovis hill = Golds Hill = Shaftesbury = South my luvver 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

My missus would laugh in my face – you're taking 4 hours out of the weekend with me and the bairn to ride round that bag of pish?

Obviously she just laughs behind your back now.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Many northeners also think that Pace made good forks…

yossarian
    Free Member

Many northeners also think that Pace made good forks…

some of the monday morning ones were ok

juan
    Free Member

Tough one.
    Lived for 4 year in soton, so rode around. Been to a couple of bike centre in wales, rode in surrey, swinley, farnborough, QEII park. but to be fair none of the riding were as nice as the ones I did in scotland with druidh and Jojo.

I can't say a thing about northen england as I have never been there. but lets face it, if I was to agree or disagree I just say that the south is much better, but I mean the real south, here right now around Nice 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Shaftesbury = South my luvver

and where might you be burying that shaft ?

juan
    Free Member

I live in a city but within riding distance I have hundreds of miles of legal trails.

Same here.

Erm no you don't, since when is farnborough a city 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You know what I mean Juan! 😀

juan
    Free Member

BTW where are you staying in PDS? I might come and say hello one night, I just need to know where.
    Did you get a chance to pick the bike at WCA's btw?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im lucky to have lived north of Glasgow for a number of years and now live on the isle of wight.
    Whilst the south may not have "big" hills, its certainly not flat. The SDW is an amazing ride (if not overly technical generally), the IW has huge amounts of bridleways and i can easily put together a nice 40+ mile loop that is mostly singletrack / trails.
    Glasgow was a great place for some really big wild country rides.
    In summary, the south isnt crap, its just different.
    I enjoy both locales equally in terms of riding pleasure, oh and gary_lager, that attitude is poor indeed. Need to remove those blinkers.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Juan, yes, we're stayin on a campsite in Chatel. I can email you the address if you like?

I do have your bike, but I've been sooooooooooooooo busy I have't had the time to look at it yet 😳
    Hopefully next week sometime, but I'll have to have a look for some instructions for the forks. Do you know what's wrong with them? They don't feel good…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Juan, YGM 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've just got back from my crap afternoon ride on the crap Quantocks, and I didn't see another rider, maybe everyone's gone oop North to find some non-crap riding and left the Quantocks to me 😆

Waderider
    Free Member

To be fair, I don't differentiate between North and South with regards to England. In my experience it's just all inferior to my yardstick, which is Scotland.

Reasons? The access laws, the overcrowding, and the smaller area of hilly terrain. This opinion is based on cycling in the North York Moors, Exmoor, Snowdonia National Park (I know it's Wales) and the waste of time that was Epping Forest. Oh, and the Lakes, nice trails ruined by the stupid access laws and thousands of pensioners tottering.

To be clear though, some MTBing in England is great. Just Scotland is greater.

There is only one divide North/South in Englandshire for me, and it is based on visits to London to be honest. That is that folk are decent everywhere in the world but London. Spiteful place.

Maybe I'll get a flaming from Londoners? Hopefully!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and thousands of pensioners tottering.

they're paid to obstruct Scottish people – an obscure codicil of the Domesday Book…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wun-hunderd!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Plenty of good riding in southern england. It's just no-ones found it yet 🙂

TBH as waderider says, its not bad, it's just not as good as other options. I ride out my back door into some great hills and return to a small village with 3 pubs within 100 yards of each other and pints at <£2.50, a small bakery and no access problems. Hard to beat that in southern england.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Waderider – Member
    That is that folk are decent everywhere in the world but London. Spiteful place.

Maybe I'll get a flaming from Londoners? Hopefully!

Having lived in London for too long I would not say that true, I'd say most people everywhere are ****, it's human nature, Londoners are no different. The worst London trait is the "London is the center of the universe view" and everything outside London is backwards because … (usually some bull shit reason to with some pretentious crap).

ooOOoo
    Free Member

To be fair, for a mountain biking site, I have to admit there are no mountains in southern england.

Tiger6791

Representing the North well just one county Yorkshire (ish)
    Pace, Orange, On-One, Ragley, Hope (border bandit now Lancs country though)

Representing the Sarth
    Whyte

5-1 nuff said

chakaping
    Free Member

A few points…

– I used to think Epping was crap too, but there's lots of very good singletrack there if you know where to look. It's not as good as the Surrey Hills, but I'm very glad I've got it local-ish.

– A lot of us southerners have been biking in the north so we know how good some of the riding is. I bet fewer of you northerners have ridden down south.

– The "Londoners" that you provincial types hate so much are actually the annoying tossers from your home towns who've moved to London and think it makes them special. Native (Greater in my case) Londoners don't actually go on about the city that much, do we?

grumm
    Free Member

Now, I think all types of riding that I do are perfectly served by the south east

So no actual mountain biking then? 😛

lcj

chakaping – Member
    A few points…

– A lot of us southerners have been biking in the north so we know how good some of the riding is. I bet fewer of you northerners have ridden down south.

I submit that this is because the riding is better up North and us Southerners want to see how much better.

The fact is that there are a) not enough decent sized hills so trails are unavoidably limited in length and gnarliness b) too many people and too many rich people in the South (East at least) who have the power and the inclination to prevent the riding being really good (notwithstanding the lack of hills) and c) the combination of a) and b) above means that there are too many competing interests on the land that is available, and where rich people and massed people dominate then horse riding and dog walking will prevail.

I will be moving north when the opportunity presents itself to take advantage of more space, fewer people and more & better riding 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Representing the North well just one county Yorkshire
    Pace, Orange, On-One, Ragley, Hope (border bandit now Lancs country though)

Representing the Sarth
    Whyte

5-1 nuff said
    Middleburn! Hampshire
    X Lite – Cornwall??
    USE – Sussex
    Thorn – Somerset

I make that 5 all

chakaping
    Free Member

I submit that this is because the riding is better up North and us Southerners want to see how much better.

I'd tend to agree with you there, but my point is still valid – and was aimed at the chippier northerners and scots above.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

let's just face it, it's grim up north.

On the balance of it, the North gave us: Cheryl Cole.

The South gave the North: An economy.

100-0 to the south.

lcj

pk-ripper – Member

On the balance of it, the North gave us: Cheryl Cole.

Tough call as to which is the less screwed though… 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ooooooooooooooooooh, suits you sir!!

and the banking crisis ??

Tiger6791

Middleburn! Hampshire
    X Lite – Cornwall??
    USE – Sussex
    Thorn – Somerset

I'll give you Middleburn the rest well ya shandy drinking, moisturising, long haired, vegetarian, dry chip eating, no sugar in ya' tea, bonsai trees worshiping metrosexual type!! just make a sentence out of these words…

( those clutching I straws was with )

grumm
    Free Member

I definitely prefer my outdoors to have woods, my views to have more than bleak moor, my tracks I like better smooth and fast than boggy or rocky…

Yeah, it's really bleak up here…

vinnyeh

Middleburn! Hampshire
    X Lite – Cornwall??
    USE – Sussex
    Thorn – Somerset
    I'll give you Middleburn the rest well ya shandy drinking, moisturising, long haired, vegetarian, dry chip eating, no sugar in ya' tea, bonsai trees worshiping metrosexual type!! just make a sentence out of these words…

( those clutching I straws was with )

And I give you Dialled Bikes. Born out of a need. 😉
    And, err, Charge.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

Ooooooooooooooooooh, suits you sir!!

banking crisis? what crisis? That was due to everyone overstretching themselves, and nothing to do with specific regions.

vinnyeh

Northern Rock
    Royal Bank of Scotland

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I like riding my bike, different areas offer different challenges.

Much of the woodsy singletrack in the South I find difficult cos I am used to the rocky tracks around Calderdale/Pennines/Peak – wtf is that rear tyre spinning when you stand up thing about?

Also find the really rocky steep stuff of Scotland and the Lakes a challenge-again cos I'm not used to it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Northern Rock
    Royal Bank of Scotland

bang to rights it seems 🙁
    Perhaps you lot should build Hadrian II from Bristol to King's Lynn ?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 367 total)

The topic ‘Why do people think Southern England riding is crap?’ is closed to new replies.