Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Why do people seem to dislike passionate sportsmen?
  • Obi_Twa
    Free Member

I see a hell of a lot of dislike or even hatred aimed at the likes of Andy Murray and Mark Cavendish. Why is this? They are two people that are lucky to be very good at something they love doing. They are passionate about keeping themselves in the position that they are in and will pretty much do anything it takes to stay there. This for me is a far better approach to the dull as dishwater football and rugby "star's" monosyllabic monotone.

badnewz
    Free Member

Envy over money, much the same for any successful people.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find arrogant twerps unpleasant. However being an arrogant twerp seems almost to be a prerequisite for success as a sportsperson.

One of the few exceptions seems to be Cris Hoy.

For example Henman never quite made the top – perhaps because he didn't have that arrogant edge –

Nice guys don't win ( Hoy excepted)

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I like em.

People always seem to get confused about what pro sports people are. I'd argue that no one gets to the top of those sports without being a bit of a ****t at some point.

Cav? Yes, he can sometimes have errors in judgment, but you don't get to be the best sprinter in the world by letting people past. Continue giving the establishment the finger!

badnewz
    Free Member

Agree with TJ, successful people also tend to be a**holes, studies of some self-made millionaires has suggested that levels of sociopathology are relatively high – it pays to screw people over.

hilldodger
    Free Member

….because it shows them up as the internet haunting non-achievers that they really are 😈

Garry_Lager

Dislike is obvious – they're a pair of miserable ****. Murray in particular has benefited from a highly successful charisma bypass operation. No one 'likes' them. If Andy Murray sat down at your table in the alehouse you'd drink up and leave.

Disrespect, though, is a different story. They are both awesome athletes and should command the respect of everyone. The British don't really do respect, though. It seems great success in any walk of life is less celebrated here than it maybe should be.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't think Murray is arrogant.. or Cavendish really. Cavendish is self-assured, which he needs to be, and Murray seems a pretty decent chap.. Dunno wtf you are on about.

Some people look really hard to find something to criticise, and look past all the good stuff. They are the ones with issues.

DezB
    Free Member

…rugby "star's" monosyllabic monotone

Not sure which rugby stars you are referring to there. Mistake to lump them in with footballers I believe.

Personally, I like sportsmen for their ability not their personality. Eg. I like C Renaldo and Chris Eubank.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Are either disliked because of their 'passion'? Murray is vapid and Cavendish is petulant. For me neither has the emotional depth to be passionate(based on the media representations of both).

BigDummy
    Free Member

My objection to Cavendish came, basically, from his pronouncement during that Tour of Britain that the UK riders who attacked him over Exmoor should have "shown respect" for him and not broken away. He rowed back from the remark, but it left a sour taste. The idea that people who, on that day, could ride away from him shouldn't do so because he's Mark Cavendish smacked of an arrogance that had nothing to do with him "being the best and doing everything he can to stay that way".

I get great pleasure from watching him sprint, and he's clearly brilliant at it. But I'm not going to extend my admiration to his personality or to his attitude to losing, which I tend to turn off before being much exposed to. 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Bad examples to pick as Cav and Murray aren't exactly down to earth.

Chris Hoy for example and Steve Peat are far more succesfull and both very likeable people in my opinion.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I will be Supporting Wiggo at the tour, don't have alot of time for Cav

BigJohn

It seems to suit the meeja somehow to make out that there's not a big gap between what a couch potato with a week's light training can do and what a life-long dedicated athlete, who has sacrificed everything to be at the peak of his or her game can achieve.

I don't know if it's the X-Factor effect, or is it just that they want us to somehow feel that we can understand what these elite sportsmen and women are going through?

I admire what these people do and it makes me laugh when all the keyboard warriors come out with guff like "That Jenson Button's not aggressive enough" or "Wayne Rooney's confidence is shot" or "that Mark Cavendish ought to learn to be less arrogant".

Coyote
    Free Member

It is the British way I'm afraid. Support someone until they start demonstrating a certain amount of success then kick them right back down again.

I personally have a great deal of respect for people who achieve the pinnacle of their sport through effort, dedication and self belief. I don't know many of them personally so can't really comment on whether I like them as people or not*.

Don't confure sporting success with success in business. You can succeed in sport without knifing rivals in the back or having severe negative effect on the lives of workers.

* I make an exception for John Terry

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I think theres a diference between having respect for them being talented and liking them,

Just because you are talented doesn't mean we have to like you.

one_bad_mofo

If you want an example of a passionate sportsman take at look at the world of MotoGP and in particular Valentino Rossi.

chakaping
    Free Member

* I make an exception for John Terry

Hahaha.

In answer to the OP, I think people just don't like ****ts. Cavendish might be a bit of one. Murray seems quite normal to me though.

I bet most of the bland professional sportspeople who don't get the same kind of stick are just as competitive and selfish – but just better at hiding it behind platitudes.

My favourite pro sportsman is Sam Hill and he's also often accused of having a charisma bypass. I don't like watching him ride for his sparkling personality though.

bluebird
    Free Member

For me there's a difference between how they need to do when they take part in their sport and how they behave towards the public/media.

For example, Cav's crash the other day was (in my view) an error of judgment, BUT made out of giving it everything he had to win. I don't think you can knock him too much for that.

However, 2 years ago in the Tour he was being arsey with interviewers post race, because he was tired or wound up. I think that is unacceptable as it's part of his job, and without the media/public he wouldn't have one. He's sorted it out now though, so good luck to him.

Andy Murray, on the on the hand, just isn't very personable.

molgrips
    Free Member

rugby "star's" monosyllabic monotone.

Just saw this. Rugby players are far more often eloquent and interesting. Some great players have gone on to write for broadsheet newspapers and been very good too.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Maybe when rugby was an amateur game, but now that it is pro they are the same as footballers.

DezB
    Free Member

What an idiotic statement.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Why is it an idiotic statement?

DezB
    Free Member

the majority of rubgy players are not monosyllabic and do not talk in a monotone.
    It's no different to when it was an amateur game.
    That is why it's an idiotic statement.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Whatever you say DezB.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

What countries Rugby players are we talking about? Most of the ones i've seen are monotone, There are Some exception not many, but thats the same with any sport.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

All countries.

The idea that rugby players are all educated and gentlemen is outdated.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Obi – a generalisation too far. I follow the rugby a great deal. some very well written stuff from players.

Blackhound

Someone I ride with knew Cav 10 years ago before he was good. She described him as an 'arrogant tosser' in those days…..

molgrips
    Free Member

In post match interviews rugby players almost always give a better account of themselves than footballers do. But maybe it's because I'm usually watching Wales rather than England 😉

It's not because they are educated, it's because rugby is a much more intelligent game than football 🙂

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

TJ – no it isnt. There are an equal proportion of intelligent footballers.

There are huge numbers of thick rugby players.

scottidog
    Free Member

I make an exception for John Terry

As much of a scum bag as he might be off the pitch, I can't help but admire him after that penguin dive attempt to stop the ball with his face yesterday. That's proper commitment to the cause and as a bonus hilarious to watch over and over… look it up if you haven't seen it already, genius.

scottidog
    Free Member

OOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopps… double post

Cheers Big John

scottidog
    Free Member

sorry must have clicked twice. how do i delete?

BigJohn

You don't. You just edit one to say Oops – double post.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I like passionate sports people but Cav is a c0ck. I appreciate that to be a top road sprinter you have to have serious self-belief and balls but that doesn't mean he has to be a nob off the bike.
    He was in the bar after the smithfield nocturne on saturday surrounded as usual by his lackeys. He was rude to my cousin and sister and then later sent his manager after them to tell them to wait for him when they headed off to find a better party!
    I think it's great when Cav wins, but Cipo for example was VERY self-assured but a cool dude when not winning sprints.

BigDummy
    Free Member

He was rude to my cousin and sister

He was probably just fired up after his resounding victory at the Nocturne. 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Why do people seem to dislike passionate sportsmen?’ is closed to new replies.