Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Why do people resist arrest?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Just been watching that vid of the Seattle cop trying to cuff someone who is resisting arrest. then he gets assulted by another member of the public, who he lands one on. Do people really think they'll get away with it?

Hohum
    Free Member

Alcohol/drug-fuelled red mist perhaps?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wot ho hum says – I have worked with the police a bit and the number of times some skinny ned tried to fight his way free of half a dozen cops was very funny

The law favours the rich, why should people play by rules that are unfair and discriminatory?

samuri
    Free Member

Well I've just watched it myself and that is one shit policeman. He makes no attempt to calm the situation down at all. There is no way that was reasonable force at all. The woman in the pink top was just trying to calm things down as far as I could see. Why the other woman was resisting arrest I don't know, perhaps she just panicked.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

American cops don't seem to be as well trained as ours. I was very impressed with the ones I worked with in their attempts to defuse situations and with their use of control and restraint when needed

oldgit
    Free Member

I see that from a different view. Look at the woman in pink she tries once and is pulled back, she shrugs off the guy pulling her back and goes for the cop, both hands on him.
    Rubbish situation, where's his help. thing is resisting arrest is never going to end well.

Captain.Stu.Pendous, you are Robin Hood and I claim my five Groats.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Tazers rock!

br
    Free Member

and he originally got the girl for jaywalking…

But then its the US, and they are black and he is white…

Jamie
    Free Member

OP…link to vid..

MSP

Captain.Stu.Pendous. – Member

The law favours the rich, why should people play by rules that are unfair and discriminatory?

+1

LHS
    Free Member

Obviously there are many different reasons why people resist arrest but most are down to alcohol or drug. Can't ignore the obvious – done something wrong and don't want to get arrested.

As far as the Seattle cop incident, obviously like most of these videos you don't see the whole video so can't judge completly, but from the video there is it looks like a hard situation for the cop to be in. The woman in pink is clearly in the wrong, a punch in the face is a bit harsh, a tazer in the stomach would have been better!!

LHS
    Free Member

The law favours the rich

😆

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/us_and_canada/10336500.stm

He does try to calm her down about half way through, then her mate gets involved and at first he ignores her then she goes for him. Sure in hindsight it is obvious that she isnt going to cause him any major problems but from his point of view the girl he is trying to deal is resisting then her mate gets involved.

WHACK THE BITCH!

classic viewing though isnt it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I suspect they dont want to go to prison and would prefer to be free. I suspect some people who resist to get free where as no one who complies with the police escapes

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

perhaps they quite rightly think the cops will beat the shit out of them back at the precinct ? I've watched LAPD Blue…

oldgit
    Free Member

Regardless of colour, you don't physically release a person a officer is trying to arrest then push that officer away. What you do is keep the **** out of it. It was a pants situation that only got worse when she decided she was the law.
    I have no doubt that they thought arrest was overkill, and right they'd be, but no officer is going to change his mind I would have thought.

samuri
    Free Member

I disagree, at no point does he try and calm things down. He constantly tries to get cuffs on her despite her getting more and more anxious about it. I'm pretty sure slamming her down on his car is not calming things down.

They've been pulled up for jaywalking, not drug trafficking or wildly firing a gun in the air, it's completely over the top.

Sonor
    Free Member

All this for jaywalking? At least the cop didn't shoot anybody.

People go to jail for not paying for a TV license, yet the banks steal billions and nothing happens.

Who writes the laws and how many lawyers, judges and politicians live with the consiquences of the policies and laws they dream up.

On several occasion police enforcement agents have been shown to be racist and out of control. You assume because one individuals wares a uniform they are in the right? Police are hired for their ability to follow orders and because they are thugs that the government has control over.

That said if they weren't thugs they would be much use, in dealing with the other criminal thugs.

oldgit
    Free Member

How rich do you have to be before it favours you? That must be terribly confusing for the cops, I mean a rich person commiting a crime might have his decorating clothes on and look all poor.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Cynically, who is holding the camera? Friend of the girls or random stranger? Looks like a decent payout from Seattle PD might be on its way.

I don't blame him, my sons godfather is a policeman here, and I'd rather he lamps someone to control a situation rather than comes to harm himself.

oldgit
    Free Member

Oh dear, didn't know you were into biking?

duntstick
    Free Member

What gives her or anyone else the right to interfere and assault the officer at that point. What right does the first person have to kick off and resist arrest.

Police must carry out their actions as they see fit.

If there is a problem with the officers actions it will be dealt with by the complaints procedure or the courts.

Simple really……..

GrahamS

Captain.Stu.Pendous. – Member
    [snip]… some tedious teenage anarchist bollocks… [/snip]

🙄

If you can afford an actual legal defence they think twice, if you are being defended by lawyers that work for the state/government, anything goes.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I suspect some people who resist to get free where as no one who complies with the police escapes

Indeed. Although there doesn't seem to be much to be said for resisting arrest unless you stand a good chance of succeeding. This requires either considerable speed and guile or a great deal of firepower. Otherwise you just seem to get hit a lot…

Drac

/waves at Fredmedia

molgrips
    Free Member

Stu, that's a piece crypto-fascist bullshit 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

Police must carry out their actions as they see fit.

If there is a problem with the officers actions it will be dealt with by the complaints procedure or the courts.
    The first is not true – there's an objective standard.

The second is ludicrously naive.

RustySpanner

I think quite a few people resist arrest because they are innocent.

In demonstrations & industrial disputes I think it's now pretty well accepted, especially in this age of mobile phone cameras, that the police will arrest innocent people as a matter of course.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Your bike cost more than mine, you are probably richer. Should I be allowed to seel your bike? Of course f****g not, dont make such stupid comments.

MSP

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Your bike cost more than mine, you are probably richer. Should I be allowed to seel your bike? Of course f****g not, dont make such stupid comments.

Thats just a ludicrous distortion of the statement, dont make such stupid comments

bigyinn
    Free Member

Captain.Stu.Pendous = Fred = Talkemada
    Do i get £5 for each identity?

willber
    Free Member

As said above – you only see the end part of the video – and eveyone says "that cop should have tried to calm it down, etc etc etc…."

Look at it this way – realistically. The woman Jwalks or whatever they call it in the USA, officer approaches her to speak to her about what she's done – her reaction then determines which way the rest of the incident goes. She ends up resisting arrest, presumably on the basis that the verbal precursosrs between the cop and her were unsuccessful. As the cop attempts to arrest her, she starts to fight with him. At this stage her friend joins in, plus it looks like other people that are present may also be with the woman in the pink. The cop has a split second to react – he has to live with the consequences of his decision.

I'm not saying the cop was right or wrong, i'm not saying his reaction was over the top or justified – all i'm saying is that until you've been in that sort of situation you really cant judge.

I am a cop – although I do not agree entirley with the way things are done – I think people would be very unhappy if we went on strike for 24 hours. And as an example of how things can appear – I remember stopping a guy in a car once to tell him to put the seat belt on his child in the back seat. I was very calm and reasonable, and tried to explain that it was his responsbility to ensure the child was strapped in, and that I had no intention of giving him a ticket – it was merely advice. He then spat in my face through his open window, tried to hit me with his door and then tried to drive over my leg. My reaction to this was to drag him from his car and after a struggle he was arrested for various things. How easily could this little story be headlined "Over zealous cop beats and arrests father infront of child". if only the part from me dragging him from the car was shown. I'm sure people would say I had over reacted etc. However had the public witnessed the entire incident i'm sure their reactions would be different. We are quite lucky in the UK in that generally the public are reasonable understanding people, provided they know all the facts – its just a shame only one side ever gets aired.

The media is rubbish – and people would do well to try and see it for what it is, biased and unreliable.

I take is someone else has been on here that has the ability to use logic and reason and doesn't simply go along with the general consensus.

Please don't call me fred or talkemada though. Stu or jumbo sausage pants will be fine!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Please don't call me fred or talkemada though.

Why not? 🙂

That was simply an intro to say the jumbo sausage pants bit.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I don't want to get drawn in here (but probably will knowing me).

If we’re talking about US cops then I have no right to comment as I do not live in that society or have any experience of the realities of that service (and no watching the Wire or NYPD blue does not count).

But, yes I agree, it never fails to amuse me the amount of people who think that if they get really angry or start swearing and throwing punches that it will resolve a hopeless situation.

When was the last time you saw a night club doorman announce
    "Well seeing as you’ve called me a C&*%, by all means feel free to come into the premises in your drunken state with your shirt covered in vomit, can I get you some drinks too?”

I think the red mist does have a lot to do with it, that and stupid bast4rd pride, we live in an age where everyone refuses to lose face and lives in a bubble where fear is confused with respect. No-one likes to admit they are beaten or take true responsibility for their actions a good deal of the time.

(EDIT) Wilber- Re' your car story, I've been there too mate. Good example.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Why do people resist arrest?’ is closed to new replies.