Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Why do people pay more for second hand than new?
  • blader1611
    Free Member

I was looking on fleabay for a garmin edge 500 and virtually everyone has ended selling for the same price or more than a new one say from handtec? Am i missing something or do people not know the cost of anything they bid on or have they become so lazy they dont bother to shop around or is it just feckless idiots? Either way if you have one be rest assured you will recoup most of your money back regardless of condition on ebay!

Northwind

People get carried away with the ebaying, it must be cheap if it’s used. I make a pretty decent side income selling on ebay now and sometimes the mind just boggles- a big part of my income is buying complete things, splitting them and selling the component parts- with my most common item, I can buy the complete item for £15-£20, sell one part for £20, another for £15, and then sell the leftovers for £10. It especially helps when it’s something that’s expensive on Amazon- people don’t shop around, they check Amazon for a pricematch.

Ebay psychology- I had some brand new stuff, put it on sale “new, in box”, slow to sell. Opened the box, relisted as used, sold faster- people search used items and don’t see new ones so will buy the cheapest used item without even seeing the cheaper new item.

blader1611
    Free Member

Northwind – the mind certainly boggles at some of the prices people will pay for a garmin. Also some sellers must be aware of this as there was one on there which had a smashed screen and the starting price was 85 quid! With postage on top of that thats only 20 quid less than a brand new one. Well i am glad its working out for you and may be i should go to the garage and have a word with myself about what i think is sellable in there as it appears i could probably sell the worm casts in the corner judging by some fleabayers.

therag
    Free Member

Aldi are doing garmin next week.

blader1611
    Free Member

Therag are they doing an edge 500 and if so what price?

unovolo
    Free Member

Pretty certain its the Edge 200 for about £79.99 if memory serves.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/our-specialbuy-events/cycling/

therag
    Free Member

Yes ^ that’s right. It’s the 200

irc

For a couple of quid more get it from Wiggle and avoid the Aldi rush/empty shelf thing.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-200-gps-cycle-computer/

More to the point as a non GPS user is the 200 any good?

mav12
    Free Member

if your looking for a 500 check halfords. £120 with h/r monitor and cadence sensor plus get aload of sis gels and powders for free

njee20
    Free Member

More to the point as a non GPS user is the 200 any good?

It’s very basic, no ANT+, so no cadence, HR or power sensors, but if you want a cheap GPS computer you won’t go wrong.

skids
    Free Member

“Why do people pay more for second hand than new?” you underestimate how stupid a lot of people are

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Why do people pay more for second hand than new?’ is closed to new replies.