Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Why do people paddle in the sea between the flags?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Yesterday whilst being awesome on our body boards I noted several small children/adults wiped out by fat seal like creatures. Are these people brainless? Its fair to say 94% of people on a body board have no control over their direction other than inshore. So why stand there with your little precious, subsequently getting the hump when crashed into, when there’s miles of **** water to paddle in. And get a wetsuit that fits you!

jam-bo

because between the flags is for swimmers. its where is deemed ‘safe’

and muppets on bodyboards are considered swimmers by the lifeguards nazis.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Survival of the (fit)fat))est innit 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

I always thought the flags were for swimmers and family people alike. Body boarders at fault there I reckon.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Depends which flags they were paddling between? Red/yellow flags for swimmers/paddlers (and bodyboards according to RLNI guidelines). Black and white checkered flags for surfboards, etc.

jimster01

I think the lifeguards’ would rather have the occasional bodyboarders in a smaller area where it’s easier to keep an eye on them. Same with the surfers, ok in between the flags isn’t necessarily the best waves,but at least it’s patrolled.

Pigface
    Free Member

For gods sake evolve and stand up.

tazzymtb

splashing around on a “dick dragger” does not make you awesome

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Did two weeks at croyde mix of surf and Bodyboarding,

People just need to be nice and even crowded beaches are safe and fun

prawny

Lifeguards in cornwall get right arsey if you paddle out of the flags.narks me a bit, because there’s more chance of one of my kids being whaled by a grandad on one of those wooden bodysurf doodahs. They don’t even go above wasit height so aren’t likely to be dragged off by a rip.

But there you go, thems the rules. I’d rather the lifeguards were there to help if we did get into trouble.

Besides, if you’re on any sort of board you should be well away from the paddlers, get out of the white water ya grom!!!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

People paddling are not swimming. The waves were pretty big for novice dick draggers like us yesterday so were piling you into shore at speed. Also the guards had narrowed the flags down quite a bit. Just seems crazy to stand there with your toddler waiting to be skittled when there’s miles of perfectly safe paddling beach.
    I’d love to surf but haven’t got the kit, plus I reckon I’d drown!

konabunny
    Free Member

“The waves were pretty big for novice dick draggers like us yesterday so were piling you into shore at speed. “

Excellent trolling from the out of control bodyboarding numpty 😆

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d love to surf but haven’t got the kit

I’ve never surfed but always imagined it to be just a wetsuit and a board man… please don’t ruin my dream by telling me the whole scene is another MTB gear/kit wankathon.

jam-bo

People paddling are not swimming.

they are when they get knocked down by the surge you get after a set and dragged back out by a rip. see recent stories about multiple rescues at padstow etc.

you might not be able to see it but there is generally a reason why they want you where the flags are.

jam-bo

please don’t ruin my dream by telling me the whole scene is another MTB gear/kit wankathon.

the car park is. some decent waves soon sort that out.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Why is that trolling? It was a fact. Is that not the point of bodyboarding getting from a to b? A being sea B being shore?
    Regards the surfing, how much is a surfboard. Gotta be in the hundreds?

barkm
    Free Member

we were at whitesands last week, it was rammed, as always, but the only issue was ‘proper’ surfers hurtling into bodyboarders.
    Flags thing needs to be much clearer. The majority of people were crammed between the red/yellow flags, which was quite narrow given the vastness of the beach. I understand it’s so lifeguards can watch the area, but overcrowding causes its own issues.

wrightyson
    Free Member

And for the record I was not responsible for a single skittling. It was mainly young kids who get taken in to shore on the smallest of surges at speed.

jam-bo

Regards the surfing, how much is a surfboard. Gotta be in the hundreds?

new? £400 upwards.

check gumtree etc. I paid £100 for my last board.

molgrips
    Free Member

crazy to stand there with your toddler waiting to be skittled when there’s miles of perfectly safe paddling beach.

I’m not paddling with my toddler outside the area where it’s deemed safe by someone who knows the beach.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Molgrips so do you only ever go to lifeguard manned beaches. You’d never let your kid paddle in say the sea up near Scarborough or coastline of Wales or anywhere else for that matter? And to clarify I’m talking paddling with little uns. Not up to their shoulders, waist or anything else, just paddling.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, but if I went to one where someone’d gone to the effort of putting up flags, I’d listen to them.

But in any case, if you’re bodyboarding, what are you doing in 12″ of water with the toddlers?

wrightyson
    Free Member

See above Molly!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Why do people paddle in the sea between the flags?’ is closed to new replies.