• This topic has 85 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Why do people hate Tesco so much?
  • Haze

IanMunro
    Free Member

I like them.
    Well not so much like, but dislike no less than any other option for food shopping.

freddyg
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound good to me. I like to know what I’m going to cook.

We get all sorts of veg that we wouldn’t have otherwise bought. Also means our diet is much more varied as we cook meals to use the variety of veg. We’ve been doing this for about a year now and it’s really good. Plus the kids are fascinated by some of the veg we get and can’t wait to try it.

Surely he has to take it to an abbatoire like everyone else, there’s laws about it arent there?!

Yep. It’s his.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    will
    Free Member

Think Drac hit the nail on the head. “Because it’s cool”

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I dislike them because I can go round the whole shop and find scarcely anything I actually want to eat. Over packaged, chemical laden, tasteless, carbon intensive, expensive… I could stand on this soapbox for ages. Fortunately I don’t have to.

We eat organic with 90% bulk purchase of dry goods from Infinity foods wholesaler, Riverford for all our vegetables and fruit (or otherwise grown at home). Saves a load of dosh too. Not a lot left for Tesco (or any other supermarket) after that. Good thing I say.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Hope it doesn’t kill off the local shops.

People choosing to shop there will kill off the local shops.

alpin
    Free Member

man o man o man…..

i’d die for a tescos here. no sod it, even an asda would do.

i think zimbawean supermarkets have more to offer than those here. the selection on the shelves is crap. do you want cheap (like cardboard)or a bit more expensive?
    how much mould do you want on your peppers/brocolli? how soft/black do you want your banannas?
    which queue do you want to stand in? the long one with approx. 15 people waiting (patiently)? yes, considering it is the only till open out of a maximum of four.
    want a basket? no you can’t have one. only trollies where you have to fiddle and put a euro in and then fight your way through narrow aisles full of stock/pallets that has been left by the caring, considerate staff.
    do you want to go shopping after 8pm? tough luck. been away on the weekend? need to pick something up on your way home on a sunday? tough luck. and it is not as though you can pre-buy on the friday because most of it will be old and manky by then.

number of times you pick up a bit of fruit or veg and your finger goes straight through it, yuck!

even the ‘posh’ supermarkets pale in comparison to your local asda/sainbury’s/tesco.

all the staff are unhelpful. the most you’ll get is ‘Hallo’. no small talk about the weather, what is in your basket etc etc.(joke if you will but it is the small things in life that have the most value)
    shopping in germany really is a depressing experience.

lots of small supermarkets dwellings selling goods. when i was in munich i had the choice of three Tenglemann’s with 400m – and this was not in the centre, out in the suburbs. each was crap. why not bulk them together reducing costs, deliveries, storage etc etc.

we try and shop at Aldi whenever possible because the quality is ‘just’ that little bit better….

read an article from the telegraph online about asda and my eyes were welling up with tears representing the near lost memory of customer service, fresh produce and value for money.

and 24 hour tescos are the best thing since suspension forks when you are stoned and in need of refreshments…

DrJ

shopping in germany really is a depressing experience

Hey – people drive to Germany from Holland to shop !! 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

the thing about planning as well that Tesco abuse (and presumably others) the system as they can grind a council down with applications appeals, hearings appeals resubmissions etc.
    Once approved (even if at the 50th attempt) there is no right to appeal to acceptance unlike a refusal.
    Those with financial clout use this to their advantage and negotiate favoural terms to save councils (all of us that pay tax) money.

alpin
    Free Member

that is REALLY depressing! you have my sympathy.

waihiboy
    Free Member

*Around our way, not indictive of all Tesco’s*

1 – Full of stinky fat people wearing stained tracksuit bottoms.

2 – Full of chavs buying cheap beer

3 – Crap own brand food

4 – Just a crap shopping experience on the whole

Our local ASDA is not much better but has a good fish counter and deli…

But you cannot beat Sainsburys, lots more eye candy, own brand stuff is much better, has lots more ‘buy one get one free offers’ and contrary to popular belief is not more expensive that ASDA or Tesco if you look properly, also has loads more ‘world wide beers’ and they continually change them.

Harry_the_Spider

I don’t really hate Tesco. I hate shopping. So I hate Tesco by default because that is where I shop.

The point made by Mt Terrahawk who lives just up the road from me makes my piss boil though. Basically Tesco have tried to stop regeneration of the town centre because Bury Council won’t let them knock down their massive supermarket and move it 75m closer to the main road.

Here is an extract from the blog of the local LibDem councillor (and soon to be Bury North MP once that thieving bastard Chaytor gets sent down for claiming for a mortgage that he’d already paid off)

We also heard some disappointing news about the Prestwich regeneration plans. Whilst response to the consultation was significant (over 450 responses) and positive (over 70% in favour generally), there will be a delay of a couple of months now before the strategy can be formally adopted. This is because Tesco have raised some formal objections and, whilst we’re confident that we will be able to proceed, we need to make absolutely sure that everything is watertight. The strategy doesn’t give Tesco what they want, which is a mammoth store fronting onto the main road. We like Tesco in Prestwich, but the general view is that it’s quite big enough, and anything bigger might impact on the town centre. Tesco disagree, so we need to find a way out of this and proceed as soon as possible turning Prestwich back into what it needs to be – a thriving urban village making the most of all its strengths. Hopefully it won’t take long.

If Tesco manage to block the regeneration of the entire town centre then I will hate them properly.

coffeeking
    Free Member

But you cannot beat Sainsburys, lots more eye candy, own brand stuff is much better, has lots more ‘buy one get one free offers’ and contrary to popular belief is not more expensive that ASDA or Tesco if you look properly,

It is, it’s only cheap if you buy larger quantities. My local asda wasn’t open when I could do my weekly shop amonth or two ago, so I went to sainsburys instead. My “usual items” veg, fruit, bottle of cheap red wine came to 50% more than usual, literally. I was so amazed I even showed my other half the receipts in an old-man fashion. The problem is their offers are often buy one get one free, which is all well and good if you can use/store them, but as someone living on their own it’s hard to do so and not waste stuff.

myheadsashed

I shop at Waitrose!

Better class of MILF

BoardinBob

*Around our way, not indictive of all Tesco’s*

3 – Crap own brand food

The massive Tesco closest to me is surprisingly ok when it comes to the people that shop there, despite being next to one of the worst housing estates in Glasgow.

Asda on the other hand, is grim. There seems to a constant throng of disfigured trogladytes standing outside the front doors. The aisles are clogged with shellsuit wearing families screeching and wailing at each other.

The problem with Tesco is the temptation to overspend. Not so much on food, more on the non food section that you “just have a quick look” at and end up coming away with a combined foot spa/ toastie maker that you really don’t need and costs more than all the food contents of your trolley.

Gilles

Whatever you are buying in Tesco, don’t buy anything organic or FairTrade there. If Fairtrade and organic exist today, it’s because those supermarkets. It is soo ironic.

MrAgreeable

I remember seeing a TV programme a few years back about farmers in Africa growing peas. They were meeting the rep from Tesco and the entire village turned out to greet him, with the small children at the front saying “Thank you Tesco”. These people were being paid 3p an hour!

Yes I know other supermarkets do it too, but when the only thing on offer is rubbish food, sourced at rock bottom prices, with cheap goods like £6 jeans to drag you in the door so they can fleece you on other stuff, no thanks.

ianv
    Free Member

3 – Crap own brand food

As far as I am concerned, this pretty well describes ASDA

hora
    Free Member

I know of people who have worked within a certain company who have actually left their profession due to working at a ‘certain company’. Enough to be worrying.

Joxster
    Free Member

Where I’m living at present, I only have a Sainsbury’s. Unless I want to drive 15 miles to the next town then I can get locally produced veg or 10 miles in the opposite direction to an abitior for meat. We would rather buy locally produced food stuff but sometimes that isn’t possible. We now make our own breads, grow some veg and herbs and cure our own meats.

BoardinBob

These people were being paid 3p an hour!

And if Tesco weren’t there, they’d be getting paid 0p an hour!

ebygomm
    Free Member

The Tesco built in my home town completely revitalised the place. In the 80s the council pedestrianised the two streets and started charging for parking, no decent supermarket meant people went to the next town to shop. Tesco built a food only supermarket on the old cattle market site (long disused) right in the town centre, the parking is free so people now visit Tescos and the Butchers/Bakery/Market on the high street at the same time. Despite being ‘competition’ it’s actually increased business for these shops.

I like Tesco ‘coz you don’t need a quid for the trolleys 🙂

Joxster
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

These people were being paid 3p an hour!

They would be claiming £500 a week in benefits

MrAgreeable

Tesco are taking advantage of a bad situation, not alleviating it.

BoardinBob

I agree, but if the stuff was made here, the retail cost would be a lot higher than it is just now!

MrAgreeable

Are British fruit and vegetables more expensive than imported ones then?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

“Tesco are taking advantage of a bad situation, not alleviating it.”

don’t blame tesco neccessarily. blame the capitalist system and shareholder law. capitalism (in the UK) essentially = exploitation to maximise profits. shareholder law requires PLCs to maximise shareholder return. therefore PLCs have to make decisions that maximise their profits.
    tesco could get everything ‘fair trade’ (as in they could substitute all the products they sell which aren’t with fairtrade, if there were those products available fair trade), but that would result in higher prices for consumers. not everyone who shops in tesco is middle classed.

tesco aren’t great, but imo they aren’t much worse than others. fortunately i live closer to aldi and morrisons than tesco, so for bit shops i use them. but day to day i use tesco, cos its on my way into town (well, its in the center)

DrJ

Obligatory Repo Man quote:

“Ordinary fvcking people. I hate ’em”

Surfr
    Free Member

I can’t speak for Tesco as the nearest store is over an hour away but to cooment on the local butchers vs supermarkets argument, We’ve switched to buying all of our meet where possible from the butchers now ans the quality is supremely better than Morrisons. Prices seem slightly better at the butchers too although we’ve not done a like for like comparison.

Same goes for the greengrocers although we do love the bread from Morrisons. Still searching for a local baker who can match them.

MrAgreeable

tesco could get everything ‘fair trade’ (as in they could substitute all the products they sell which aren’t with fairtrade, if there were those products available fair trade), but that would result in higher prices for consumers. not everyone who shops in tesco is middle classed.

I would be interested to know what the average “middle class” and “working class” family’s food bill is per week. I bet there’s a lot less difference than you think.

MrAgreeable

We now make our own breads, grow some veg and herbs and cure our own meats.

You don’t live off chocolate then? 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m not sure why people hate tesco, but i know why i shop there.

it’s open.

i live on a small shopping-high-street, with ‘local’ shops like butchers and greengrocers, i’d love to shop there, but as far as i can tell, they’re never open. but they do have little ‘save our high street’ flyers in the window.

i go to work at 7.30, i get home at 5.30. the local shops aren’t open, but tesco is. so that’s where i shop.

it’s not a complicated business model, is it? – matching opening hours to suit your customers.

Jamie
    Free Member

*skips to end*

I like Tesco as they have the easiest to use website and deliveries are always on time with few substitutions. If i had to go instore then i would probably go to Sainsburys as my local Tesco is hooooge and i would get tired just walking around it 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

because the veg from my farm shop or F&V shop(even imported veg) lasts roughly 4 times longer in the fridge and with my lifestyle this saves me spending half my time scraping unused bags of soggy spinach and yellow broccoli out of my fridge, because they sell NO locally derived produce. because they pervert the notion of choice, because of loss leaders, because of what it has done to the experience of shopping, because of their business strategies around suppliers, land procurement and dealing with local councils and communities, because it is full of miserable fat people and MOST OF ALL because I am forced to use them by their effect on smaller traders

there’s probably more

did i mention the fat miserable people

oh i did

steve-g
    Free Member

my tele went “pop” and stopped working the other day so we went 200 yards down the road to tesco and got their “smart price” or whatever tele, 32″ widescreen, only 280 quid and its magic!!!

Bunnyhop

At last I’m cool, as have dis-liked Tesco for many years.

In a Village near us ( Poynton) the locals got together and had a huge protest meeting and have succesfully kept Tesco at bay.
    If they came to our village I would fight.
    I prefer ‘Booths’, who use the local farmers and our local ‘co-op’ isn’t too bad, their packaging has improved, less or even no cardboard around alot of stuff. This year we bought the childrens Easter eggs wrapped just in the foil.
    I just shop in all the local butcher, baker and greengrocers as much as possible.

bigsi
    Free Member

I just hate being asked if i have a clubcard all the time,, why so you can monitor what i am buying and then send me vouchers for items that i never buy & would never want to buy. Then you can also send me marketing junk for loans that i don’t need, home insurance that is crap, credit cards which are expensive, mobile phones (don’t go there), internet etc etc.
    The list just goes on and on and on and thats my problem with Tescos, fingers in too many pies gives them too much power over the economy and is bad for the small business.

Viva La Reveloution 😯

13thfloormonk

I hate the fact that I don’t want to shop there but do, for much the same reasons as ahwiles.

Plus they keep trying to I.D. all 26 bearded years of me when i try to buy a bottle of Deuchars. Its 4% and sedative ffs, how many bus stop fights am i going to start on one bottle of Deuchars??

0091paddy
    Free Member

Lidl is the way forward!

epicyclo

It’s open when you need it.

They don’t let long queues form.

They haven’t fined my wife for parking while spending too long in the shop (Morrisons, and we’ve never been back).

Their cheap stuff is just that, but their good stuff is ok.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Why do people hate Tesco so much?’ is closed to new replies.