Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Why do people give distances in km?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

When everything in this country is done on miles? In happy with either, just curious to see where people get it from. Is it an engineering thing? Or do people love the continent and want to continue the vibe?

sobriety
    Free Member

The Rules

obelix
    Free Member

Not everything in the UK is done in miles, all arms of our military use metric, so most ex-forces bods will too. Not sure if this applies to police.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Because 10k sounds better than 6.2 miles when you’re trying to impress people down the pub/at work etc. 🙄

shermer75
    Free Member

The Rules #24

Ahhh, no more explanation needed

Dibbs
    Free Member

Oops, double post.

scotroutes

I’ve used km for hiking for decades – ever since the OS decided to publish 1:50K maps. It was only natural to continue that when mountain biking.

I often use miles for road biking though as all road signs are currently in imperial units.

Royston
    Free Member

Maybe because not everyone lives in the UK

cheez0
    Free Member

Os maps are in km and when using with bike computer and compass, km is better.

Once i get home from shredding the gnarr and the mrs asks how far, i do the 5/8 mental calculation and say ‘its about a mile and a half,love’!

Toadally stokerized.. and now stocked back up on biscuits and crisps! 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

Swapped recently, also gone to KG for weight, much prefer it.

Everything should be metric.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cos it makes it sound like they have done more

kayak23

I’ve taken to saying ‘klicks’ cuz it sounds cooler… 8)

jonba
    Free Member

more importantly, why do some people (me included) measure short distances in meters but longer ones in miles.

5thElefant
    Free Member

They’re members of a French sleeper cell.

ratherbeintobago

more importantly, why do some people (me included) measure short distances in meters but longer ones in miles.

I do this, but only because in 1980s Scotland we weren’t taught anything about Imperial measurements at school. And, anyway, metric measurements just make more sense.

mudshark
    Free Member

The smaller imperial units are confusing for most born in the 70s or later. I mix mine up but switched to km for cycling when became a roadie to fit in with the pros better….

vinnyeh

Still seem to be a lot of people using metric to measure their fork travel, and imperial for the rear wheel travel.
    That’s just so wrong.

sgn23
    Free Member

Metric just makes more sense.
    It’s been the primary system taught in UK schools since at least the early 70s.
    There’s no need to remember all those different amounts like:

1760 yards in a mile
    36 inches in a yard
    versus
    1000 metres in a kilometre
    100 centimetres in a metre

colin9

The Rules

Yes. This.

Edric64
    Free Member

Metric just makes more sense.
    It’s been the primary system taught in UK schools since at least the early 70s.
    There’s no need to remember all those different amounts like:

I was at primary school in the early 70s and seemed to remember imperial .I still convert metric back ,price of fuel to gallons kms to miles on Audax rides ,my weight and height etc

aP
    Free Member

I was at primary school in the early 70s and we were taught metric measurement, but my memory suggests only for small numbers. As a result I went through a period of referring to 4 foot 10 centimetres.
    Same with weight 3 pounds and 50 grammes.
    Now being an architect we have the great amusement that the Brits adopted millimetres as the primary system for construction whereas the rest of Europe adopted metres and centimetres. Studying in the US in the early 90s I quite like decimal imperial!

5thElefant
    Free Member

It is weird how we have this schizophrenic dual system. I think in imperial but convert to metric to do calculations, then convert back again so I can understand the results.

sgn23
    Free Member

It was 1974 when is became compulsory in UK schools according to the Metric Association (I bet that’s a fun club to be in!)

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’m happy with both, but usually use miles to match with road signs

winston_dog
    Free Member

The OS National Grid is metric.

Makes everything really easy when measuring stuff on a UK map.

wwaswas

I was at school during the transition from metric to imperial – started school in 1971.

I use;

Body Weight: stones and lbs
    Doing recipes and weighing small stuff: Grammes
    Distance: Miles
    Measuring stuff with a ruler: Cm
    Working with maps: KM but with a mental conversion to miles to work out how long it will take to walk/ride it.
    Height: Feet and inches or cm dependign on the age of the person I’m talking to.
    Car ‘gas mileage’ – mpg but with a mental effort to convert to miles per litre to work out how much it’s actually costing me based on pump prices.

it’s bloody mess, frankly.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Ha ha, it’s a total mess, go to most other countries and they laugh at our system, for them there is little use in using miles.

GrahamS

I’ve taken to saying ‘klicks’ cuz it sounds cooler…

+1

I also like to call the car park “the L.Zee” and refer to red socks as “Charlie”.

aracer
    Free Member

Well I might measure in metric (usually), but I’ll quite often refer to short distances in inches rather than cm – the shop might call that bit of wood 100 by 50, but it’s actually a 2×4 (and I’ll refer to it as such if actually speaking to a person). As for distances in km, as mentioned above, that makes sense for anything involving a map – hence I have my GPS set to km (though the computer on my road bike is in miles).

I always used to do height in feet despite using km for distance (when off-road), but have now made that conversion too.

athgray
    Free Member

Most engineering is metric. I find judging distances in metres/km far easier. Also previously mentioned OS maps in km.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

wwwas – you use exactly the same choice of units as I do! Must be an age thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You think our systems messy …. I give you – the decimized foot.

Crazy oilfield yanks !

hjghg5
    Free Member

My OH is an engineer and it’s quite easy to set him on a full blown rant if americans use imperial measurements on something he’s working on. He always uses km although he might just allow a 10 mile race to slip through.

I prefer miles for some reason. Habit mainly I think as I use metric for anything shorter than a mile.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

That is an abomination.

nealglover
    Free Member

Perfect.

I need one of those 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

kayak23

I prefer long car journeys in km. It’s quicker Innit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got a decimilized foot tape in bottom drawer of my tool box from when i worked in california… Its the one i give newcomers to my house who require to measure something 🙂

Im cruel arnt it….. Had to move it from the measuring devices drawer after falling foul to it my self toomany times

IanW
    Free Member

The French took a shot at decimalising time, which seems sensible to me. French Calendar

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

It’s like having a second language, no?
    Was riding with someone recently who quoted his bike’s weight in lbs, and the ride in km.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Why do people give distances in km?’ is closed to new replies.