Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Why do people ask advice?…
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Then do the opposite?
    A lad at work says to me last week, ‘Jimmy, Jimmy, I’ve heard your’e into mountain biking, I’ve got a bike but don’t know much about where to ride’. ‘What is it youv’e got?’ says me, ‘A Carerra Banshee’ says he…Anyway, he’d bust the rear mech & Halfrauds wouldn’t have it ready till about next Halloween so I said I’d lend him my old HT if he wanted to come for a ride on Saturday (gone) on the NYM. Well he did ok & had a whale of a time then asked me about what he should get next, I said he might be better off going for a decent HT, £800-1K range or a shortish travel FS for about £1200-£1300 considering where he’ll be riding (North Yorkshire).
    So he texted me tonight to tell me he’s ordered a 2009 Marin Quake from Winstanleys which he hasn’t even seen never mind sat on! 🙄

Saying that he’s only 26 & a bit mad so I’m sure he’ll be as happy as Larry on it. I bliddy hope so!

Northwind

Nice bike that, tell him I’ll buy it off him when he realises his mistake 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Probably realised that if he listened to some old duffer he’d never have any fun;-)

ampthill

because your called Esselgruntfuttock

might be weakening your reputation at work

backhander
    Free Member

I’d love a rip on one of those quakes

boblo
    Free Member

Essel, nothing to add to your post but thank you for spelling ‘advice’ as ‘advice’ and not the usual plonkerish ‘why do people ask advise’. Grrrrrrr.

That’s all 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

They’re a good price from Winstanleys at the mo 😯 bit much bike for me, mind.

stumpy01

They want you to say what they want to hear. When you don’t say that, they just do what they want anyway.

A mate has just done this with a ‘recommend me a bike’ type request. I suggested quite a few variations with decent specs & he texted me the other day to tell me he’s bought a Diamondback from Go Outdoors…..

To be honest, it’ll probably be a fine bike for what he needs, but it does beg the question of why bother asking in the first place?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

[/]because your called Esselgruntfuttock

might be weakening your reputation at work[/i]

Is that why he said ‘Jimmy, Jimmy’ & not ‘esselgruntfuttock, esselgruntfuttock’? Can’t be that then can it? 🙄

Anyway, It’ll get him fit!

ampthill

Sorry missed that

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Advice; wise don’t need it and fools won’t heed it 😉

Always the way mate. I’ve advised many people to pay a little extra and get a good bike rather than spending a couple of hundred on a shi**er just to have them come back and say “just bought a bike from Halfrauds for £100 and it’s crap, can you fix it for me?”.

Just advise them to get a crap bike, maybe they’ll get a good ‘un 🙂

BigJohn

Well that’s OK, because the bike’s only £1200, but according to the ad that’s £1200 off the real price so £1200 minus £1200 means it’s cost him nothing.

Is possibly what he’s thinking.

Well, it’s the same logic Mrs BigJohn uses about shoes from TK Maxx.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Half price does seem a bit of a bargain – but then I wonder why they have such a stock they want to get rid of?

The thing (Marin quake) looks like a tank. Can’t understand why people by these downhill specific machines, thinking they’re getting a mountain bike….

a la…

Mate went and got a full downhiller expecting to use it also for commuting 9 miles each way each day. He completely ignored all the suggestions I proffered. He rode it ONCE to work, cadged a lift back with bike in boot and now he’s blaming me saying I convinced him to buy a mountain bike instead of a road bike which he actually wanted. Duh?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I take any advice I’m given with a huge pinch of salt. I always do a lot of research before I buy anything, both online and by asking friends and most of the advice turns out to be personal opinion that may not actually apply. Even my lbs has given me bad advice and mis-information.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

is it the bike or Winstanleys that you’re concerned about? 😯

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

is it the bike or Winstanleys that you’re concerned about?

I’m concerned about neither & that isn’t the point anyway, is it? (if you’ve read the OP)

Ax3M4n, GiantJaunt &Big John, I know exactly what you mean!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Why do people ask advice?…’ is closed to new replies.