Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Why do passing cars etc mess up my TV reception?
  • Talkemada
    Free Member

I'm trying out a USB TV thingy, and a portable TV aerial. The communal aerial is rubbish, and won't pick up any digital TV channels, and the analogue ones aren't great quality. The portable aerial picks up a fair number of digital channels (37), and the quality is pretty good, but…

The signal goes all funny sometimes, when cars are passing, or parking up outside. Really annoying when a car pulls up, and the engine is still running as passengers pop into the shops. Scooters seem to cause the same problem. Not all cars do this though, I've noticed.

What causes this? Something to do with the electrical field radiation from the alternator perhaps?

Any ideas? Any solutions? Are powered aerials better?

(Don't get me started on the communal aerial. The local HA are supposed to be sorting it out, but are **** useless. In fairness it's not a necessity)

molgrips
    Free Member

I read that the portable aerials that come with those things are next to useless unless you are right next to a transmitter. Get something with a booster.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Your portable antenna will be a simple affair, and placed at ground level. The electronics filtering the input will be tiny and minimal. You're sticking a big metal box (reflective to radio) in the way, and making it emit RF interference (spark plugs, alternators, hybrid power systems etc) on top of that. Some cars are diesel, some cars have better noise control on their spark systems, scooters probably have very little protection. All in all just a bad combination.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well the picture is normally fine. Better quality than the analogue signal through the communal aerial. it's just the passing cars that cause intermittent problems.

2nd floor flat, Aerial on window ledge.

A mate lives on the top floor of a small tower block. He has only a teeny portable aerial, and get's a fantastic picture. Except for when the 'planes into City Airport come over! 😮

uplink
    Free Member

Most cars these days should have enough electronic suppression to avoid any interference with TV frequencies

As above it's the aerial at fault
    Trouble is it's almost impossible to diagnose without testing it

Generally speaking – the last thing you want to do is introduce any more electronics if at all possible, any electronic amplification of the signal will also amplify the noise & probably the interference

Try the aerial somewhere else where you can shield it from the window, although this may be counter productive as you could lose signal as a result.
    If all fails – you can try a powered antenna but don't presume it will improve things.

allthepies
    Free Member

Move house Fred 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Aerial only actually works on the window ledge! It's in the sight of Canary Wharf Tower; I dunno if this helps with the signal at all.

As before, it's normally fine, except for when some cars go past.

ton

spend some money and get sky……….you tight mockney geyt……. 😉

uplink
    Free Member

How high up [from street level] is it?

anokdale
    Free Member

Fred i would try moving your cardboard box further away from the gutter.

Yeah and spend some dosh get sky.

zaskar
    Free Member

Fred? the Fred?!

Hey you're doing better than me, I could never get any signal using a USB digital tv dongle unless I used the main aerial where the signal was perfect. (Analogue was fine but useless-not enough channels).

Whats your braodband download limit? unlimited?
    try Googling TvCatchup or even zattoo.

I heard that the signal is too weak for portable usb sticks to prevent us using our laptops.

KT1973
    Free Member

You could try praying for a better reception. 8)

Talkemada
    Free Member

On and on with the Fred. You lot are obsessed. It's as though the spirit of a jovial, rotund Boltonian Victorian Engineering enthusiast with a head for heights and a penchant for beer has possessed this forum… 😯

Oy Vey. I shall have to speak to Yentob.

Sky? Wash your mouths out. I may be scum, but I still have my pride, whatever dignity may be lacking.

Uplink: 2nd floor, about 20ft from t'ground?

Shh. CSI's on now.

peteimpreza

From another thread

"Talkemada – Member

Strangest thing that's happened to me was in Norway. Happly pootling along a bit of track, when suddenly a load of bushes suddenly jumped up around me, pointing guns at me. T'was a bunch of soldiers in Ghillie suits, on a training exercise. They were perfectly polite though, and their fit blonde female group leader invited me to sit in the cab of their truck parked nearby, and have a cup of hot chocolate with her, as an 'apology'. "

I have heard that story from the horses mouth.

You are Fred and I claim my £5. 8)

sc-xc

I thought Fred duzzunt like paying for the license fee! 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Why do passing cars etc mess up my TV reception?’ is closed to new replies.