Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Why do my spokes keep snapping?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

My Tern Verge X10, has kinetix wheels with 14 spokes and American Classic hubs. Broke 4 spokes on rear wheel, each time is was a different spoke, not a replaced one. Then had a wheel rebuild done in the hope it would sort it but was out today and another one went with all new double butted spokes. I’m within the weight limit. Will take it back to shop tomorrow but I’m a little concerned that it may keep happening. Any ideas?

onandon
    Free Member

I have the same wheels on my dahon. I’ve snapped one spoke in 750 miles. New spokes are a real pain to get in and need to be bent slightly. I guess if the builder is a little heavy handed they could be weakened.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Where are they snapping? Is it on the elbow ? Perhaps the radius is too sharp/ wide in the hub for the spoke. Is it on the spoke ? Maybe a non butted spoke maybe stronger etc.

sq225917
    Free Member

Shitty design where the spoke holes are not offset drilled, hence they fail at the rim.

bencooper
    Free Member

They need to be at insanely high tension – I use my old Sturmey Archer spoke key for jobs like this, it’s the only one I’ve found which can get the nipples tight enough without rounding.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Why do my spokes keep snapping?’ is closed to new replies.