Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Why do my brake calipers keep going out of line?
  • muzzle
    Free Member

Morning all, hope someone can help: I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve aligned my front brake (Hayes Stroker Ryde), only to find next time I go out on the bike that the pads are rubbing on the rotor all over again.

The rotor is straight and I’m tightening to the recommended torque (I’ve even looked it up). It DOES align without rubbing, so there’s no issue with the gap between the pads etc, and when I’ve aligned it I always give the brake a few pumps to settle the pads and then check that the alignment is still OK. And then I ride the bike for a bit and it all goes out of line again…

Any thoughts please? Ta.

bommer
    Free Member

uneven piston movement and slightly sticky seals, or your qr is loose.

wwaswas

I’d go with the sticky seals thing too – they’re not re-centering correctly.

dmorts

+2 for sticky piston

br
    Free Member

Taking the wheel out?

muzzle
    Free Member

Is that a question b r…? If so, no I haven’t removed the wheel between aligning the brake and the misalignment occurring. QR is definitely not loose either.

Thanks for the sticky piston suggestions, will look into it…

mickolas
    Free Member

my brakes do this too but it is definitely the axle shifting in the dropouts. always happens after hard braking. solution – fit wheel, brake hard, set up caliper. I suppose I could line the dropouts with a thin strip of ally or something but where’s the fun in that?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Why do my brake calipers keep going out of line?’ is closed to new replies.