• This topic has 31 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Why do Islabikes sell for so much 2nd hand ?
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171736053331?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Even if someone doesn’t know how to use Google, the auction even states that is was only £700 new 🙄

Klunk
    Free Member

they do even better in the run up to christmas 🙂

bikeneil
    Free Member

Stoopid people?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Absolutely crazy.

For a kid, the excitement of picking up a brand new bike from a shop would be well worth the extra, surely?

Warranty too…..

russyh
    Free Member

Unless like my son you want a blue bike and refuse to accept another colour… He is blue mad, Islabike stopped making the 14″ bike (conof?) in Blue, I asked if I could have one made they said no. Bought a near new second hand one and paid nearly the same as new. Annoying yes, spoilt kids maybe, but I want to encourage him to ride so paid my money and made my choice.

vinnyeh

It’s a model that’s unavailable new at the moment, and doesn’t have much competition.
    These were 350-450 secondhand about 6 months ago.

kimbers

Its about weight , all other kids bikes seem to weigh truck loads more

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I know ISLA are in demand (weight / sizing etc) but I think people are on ebay are another thing altogether.. cannot understand the strategy (if there is one ever) in the bidding process

MoreCashThanDash

Yet my kids have never been held back by the weight of their £75, secondhand Treks, Spesh, Ridgebacks….

Not denying that Islabikes are lighter,well specced for small hands etc. But we’ve had 4-5 years use out of second hand bikes handing them down between the two kids and lost £25 when we’ve sold them on. I just can’t see that the Islabikes are worth the money for our kids.

If they raced etc it might be different.

binners

Supply and demand innit? People want them. for good reason. There aren’t many about.

Like houses.

rossburton
    Free Member

As someone who owns two Islabikes and is looking at a Beinn 20 for my son, I’m glad that they hold their value so well. I only wish my son’s old bike that he’s growing out of was a blue one as they’re unavailable now and that is pushing the price up!

matt_outandabout

sssshhhhh, I have a Beinn 26 with boingy forks I need to sell soon. The thicker the better for my next size up purchase. 😉

timmys

I just can’t see that the Islabikes are worth the money for our kids.

But the cost of ownership would been the same or even less with Isla bikes so I don’t really understand what you mean.

matt_outandabout

I just can’t see that the Islabikes are worth the money for our kids.

I bought Beinn 26 for £220 second hand. I added retrobike sourced Manitou forks for £30.

So far it has done three lads move up to 26″ wheels.

Looking at eBay, I will get £200+, even in ‘well used’ state.

This bike, for five years and three kids will have cost me £50.

I think that is cheaper than any Apollo chunk of pig iron.

trail_rat
    Free Member

They are the vw transporter of kids bikes.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Fashion is fickle and people who feel they have invested in the bank of Islabikes may get a bit upset if they suddenly fall out of favour following a new brand…hence my kid’s going to get a trash bike that he’s entitled to smash bash and ruin as he pleases, and I bet he’ll be a better rider for it 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

People will pay for a status symbol and the associated bragging rights.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

The resale value is a good thing ill buy ome for my daughter soon ansd i know i will get most of money back when she grows out of it to fund the next one.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Reminds me of the guy I saw dragging his kid’s shiny BMW electric kart thing around the park because it couldn’t go on the grass then the batteries ran out… complete and total utter c*ck!

It’s STW forums fault.

Why do you think poncy coffee machines and fancy pants razors cost so much?

The value of shit secondhand cars seems to be on the increase!

This place has much to answer for in times of austerity….

😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Not bad for vietnamese frames eh?

hora
    Free Member

We’ve got a Cnoc16. Wont buy another as its ‘ok’ quality but not fantastic.

Same with their balance bike. We chose a Strider as it was just better. And cheaper.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

I bought my daughter a Strider balance bike to get started. She just wouldn’t use it. however she wouldn’t put down her cousin’s Islabike Rothan. So, bought her a 2nd hand Rothan and she hasn’t looked back. We put it down to the Rothan being slightly lighter and better geometry. She’s now on the CNOC.
    Also, the brakes on the Islabikes are easier to pull for little hands compared to other manufacturers.

We know we’ll sell the Rothan for about £20 less than we paid for it once my son is done with it – so well worth it.

timmys

Not bad for vietnamese frames eh?

What your point caller?

z1ppy

Quality product sell well 2nd hand*, haters gunna hate.. It’s the way of the world & obvious above

*what’s the current availability of that model?

DezB
    Free Member

at last, people are in agreement with me. I have waited so long for this moment.

unovolo
    Free Member

we put it down to the Rothan slightly lighter and better geometry

The heaviest Strider is 3kg vs 3.5kg for the Rothan, and I very much doubt a 2/3year knows anything about or even cares about geometry.

More likely its either the colour or the fact that its some one elses so they what one like theirs, kids are fickle creatures.

poah
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

People will pay for a status symbol and the associated bragging rights.

only to certain people.

Junkyard
    Free Member

never got it myself they ar egood bikes and if you can afford to outlay £300 per bike you will get most iof it back

My approach was to buy Ridgebacks and Kona as get my money back [ lost about £10-20 per bike but one i never used ]
    Same sort of thing without the outlay

Kids happily did 20 + miles on 20 ” bikes

at 24″ wheels IMHO you can make a better bike than an Isla one [ though it is all second hand]
    Sid forks 26 ” but low A-C
    24 ” Hope or Superstar Wheels
    Old SRAM x0
    Light Pedals
    Shimano Touring brakes
    A frame
    About £250 ish quid and sub 25 lb.
    Re sale no idea but they will be better bikes and my midget children will get years of use from them

hora
    Free Member

Hora jnr strider is bashed to shit. Hes used it 110%.

Same with any bike. Who cares about resale. Tight **** parents. Let them batter, leave em outside, etc let friends borrow them.

Like what we were like as kids.

When people mention resale around kids stuff i reply chill out. My sons other bike lives outside the school everyday. Would a Cnoc?

(He prefers his Ridgrback MX16 funnily over the Cnoc16).

peabrain
    Free Member

what’s the current availability of that model?

Unavailable at the moment I believe.

Islabikes are good, however none of my 4 kids have one.

hora
    Free Member

I’ll add. Im a known tight ****. However with my offspring its gloves off, their kit is for fun. One day I’ll teach him about looking after kit. But never for resale. Merely for longevity/reliability.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Why do Islabikes sell for so much 2nd hand ?’ is closed to new replies.