Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Why do I keep snapping spokes?
  • rockitman

Bontrager Rhythm wheels – just over a year old, keep snapping spokes on the back wheel. 4 times in the last couple of weeks. Anything I can do? Any ideas why it's happenning? Is it because I'm 17st and am getting much more confident on the descents?

Have some DT Swiss 2350 wheels on the other bike and (touch wood) they've been absolutely fine.

Smee
    Free Member

Try diet coke instead of the full fat stuff. 😉

bassspine
    Free Member

4 spokes on the same wheel, I'd strongly recommend a rebuild. I usually reckon after three it's time, the other spokes will have been strained unevenly when the first one went and it's just getting worse each time another goes.

ton

cos most factory built wheelsets are for people 10 to 14 stone…
    get some built for your weight/ride style…

clubber
    Free Member

It's been run with loose spokes at some point which has meant the spokes have flexed and fatigued. It'll keep happening I'm afraid until you replace all the spokes since even the ones that haven't broken yet will have had their life significantly shortened.

Unlikely to have anything significant to do with your weight btw. I'm not a lot lighter than you and have never had problems with snapping spokes but I build lots of wheels so know to check that they're tight before using them.

rockitman

Thanks for the info. Will get it rebuilt next week.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Why do I keep snapping spokes?’ is closed to new replies.