Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • why do I keep killing road pedals? and are more expensive pedals worth it?
  • freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve been using Shimano R540 pedal on my road bike for the last 18 months.
    A few weeks ago I noticed that the drive side pedal bearings were getting really stiff and notchy, so I ordered a new pair of pedals.
    The new ones have now done a couple of hundred miles, and the drive side bearings are already feeling rougher/stiffer than the other side.

I always unclip with the non-drive side when I’m riding.
    I’m a heavy rider (around 100KG)

Has anyone else experienced this?
    I’ve bought the Shimano TLD PD40 tool and pulled the bearings out + added a bit more grease.

I’m not a total monkey with mechanical stuff, I’ve worked in Engineering for 20+ years and know my way around this stuff.

If the R540s are just a bit crap, are the ‘105’ level road pedals much better?

I’m not too keen on swapping to another manufacturer as I have Shimano cleats on 2 pairs of shoes and R540s on two bikes.

Cheers in advance..

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’ve had this as have numerous mates who use them. I also have a set pf 2013/2014 105 pedals too and they weren’t as bad, but I didn’t ride them in rain and wintery conditions like the R540s.

I just accepted that a strip and grease every now and again would see me right.

Do they click too? As we all had that issue.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I always unclip with the non-drive side when I’m riding.

If I’m interpreting this correctly and that you keep pulling or twisting your cleat out of the pedal when you’re riding along, then it’s no giant leap to say that your pedalling style with that leg is shocking. Find the reason for it and sort it out.

Is the cleat in the correct position for a kick off?

igm

100kg here too and had exactly that problem.

The Ultegra pedals seem to have sorted it.

brooess
    Free Member

no experience of Shimano road pedals but my Look Keo are 10 years old and still going strong. Used to be used year round and been on my winter bike only for the last 5 years. Never even greased them!

mattbee

I think he means when he comes to a stop he always up clips the nds, possibly meaning the ds which has worn out is getting a fair bit of his 100kg through it when he waits st junctions etc.
    I wouldn’t have thought that would make much difference and is probably a coincidence.
    18 months isn’t bad for a low end pedal though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I just assumed that he was like me and always unclips first on the same side when stopping. I always wear the left cleats about twice as fast as my right one and after a year or two the left will be a touchbmore sloppy.
    I use cheaply Euxstar road pedals. They get tatty the same as others but are cheap and light.

freeagent
    Free Member

I think he means when he comes to a stop he always up clips the nds, possibly meaning the ds which has worn out is getting a fair bit of his 100kg through it when he waits at junctions etc.

^^Yes – this. I don’t have any issues with accidentally unclipping while riding. My pedalling style with both legs is fine.

Sounds like I’m not alone with this – maybe I’ll splash some cash on better pedals next time around.

Nobby

I had similar with a pair of A530’s – took it apart & it became apparent that the retaining nut had tightened down on the bearing/bushing. Cleaned & regreased it then made sure it was all just about right before nipping up the locknut & it’s been fine ever since.

My Ultegras, on the other hand, have been faultless.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

My pedalling style with both legs is fine.

Have you had it looked at in terms of left right power, you might be surprised.

I run speedplay on all my road bikes, if you’re after easy to maintain, hardwearing and adjustable then I’d recommend them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just accepted that a strip and grease every now and again would see me right.

This. Stuff needs maintenance, unless you want to view it as disposable (seemingly the prevalent view).

igm

Agreed, however…

Problem is, with its weird plastic axle nut that no one had the tool for in stock on the cheaper pedal, upgrading to a working Ultegra with standard flats on the axle nut seemed fairly sensible. I happily subscribe to the “you need to grease bearings every so often” school of thought – if only I could get to them.

eshershore
    Free Member

540/550 die really quick with regular use, even with timely maintenance, the bearing assembly always “flog out” and go sloppy / rough and start clicking

Ultegra pedals can be picked up cheap (got cycle surgery in London to price match CRC £68?) and are much tougher in the long term, and have a much more solid feel when clicking in and out

maxlite
    Free Member

Never had problem with Ultegra, 105 and 105 Carbon. Just my left side cleat always wears out first.

Often just as cheap to buy a new set of pedals (rather than new cleats) as they come with cleats!

stevious

To echo above: I’ve had cheapo shimanos that died quickly but a set of Ultegra pedals that have lasted over 30,000km with just one re-greasing. They’re on my winter bike too.

ransos
    Free Member

Ultegra pedals can be picked up cheap (got cycle surgery in London to price match CRC £68?) and are much tougher in the long term, and have a much more solid feel when clicking in and out

I’m still running Ultegra 6620 pedals – they’re very scruffy now but still smooth, despite having been ridden in all weathers. I pop some new grease in them once per blue moon.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

SPDs! Some M540 or 520 SPDs last forever, and you’ll be able to walk down the front drive without looking like you’ve shat yourself.

zero-cool
    Free Member

A few pairs of Look Keo pedals in our house. All have done thousands of miles, never been serviced and still good as new.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘why do I keep killing road pedals? and are more expensive pedals worth it?’ is closed to new replies.