• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Why do folk always want a Rolls Royce, when a Ford/Vauxhall/Toyota etc is fine?
  • br
    Free Member

The Perth branch of the party said it was told by a Transport Scotland official that cycle paths will not be provided on both sides of the road.

But why would you need a cycle path on both sides of the road, surely one would more than do the job; based on the volume (very low)and type of user (experienced, as it’s not what you could call ‘urban’).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-26530245

trail_rat
    Free Member

Remember that next time your blinded by oncoming cyclists ridingnup a cycle path on the wrong side of the road. ( or the cyclist is blinded by the cars coming towards them. ( whos headlights are tilted to that side)

A92 is a perfect example. I used to use the road as the cycle path was more dangerous at night half blind.

Its a bugbare of mine with most cycle paths tbh.

scotroutes

I’m with the OP on this one. Dualling the A9 is already going to be difficult enough at certain pinch points and will make a wide enough scar on the landscape. We’ve already had complaints that the proposed cycle path isgoing to be too close (though still separated from) the road and now we have this one that a single path isn’t enough. Given that there is already a pretty good bike route along most of the A9 corridor I see anything new as just a bonus.

geoffj

I’d settle for a decent stretch of it between Dunkeld and Perth that didn’t require a detour onto fast single carriageway roads.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Single lane away from the road is fine- single path next to the road is shit.

Your average cycle path is not wide enough for two cyclists to pass- with panniers on.

Hve they resurfaced the drumochter summit path last time i was up there on my touring bike i took the road cause the path was terrible with heaps of gravel.

I think they are aiming for the stars just making the point that token facilities are not good enough. If theydidnt fight we would probably end up with a white painted line in the hard shoulder

MSP

The road between Perth and Inverness is being dualled at a cost of £3bn.

3bn to make a road into a dual carriageway and they can’t be arsed to provide proper cycle provisions. That is a perfect example of ignorance about mixed transport needs.

br
    Free Member

Your average cycle path is not wide enough for two cyclists to pass- with panniers on.

They are in most places of the UK, where they are built for the purpose of been a dual direction – and been Scotland they should be capable for walkers, cyclists and horses.

This to me is a far bigger type of issue:

http://road.cc/content/news/29703-scots-govt-rules-out-a9-crossing-point-cyclists-and-everyone-else-using-ancient

Reminds me once in India watching 4 blokes manhandle a motorcycle across a M-Way reservation – turns out that they’d built 20 miles of 3-lane dual road with no crossing points…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Why do folk always want a Rolls Royce, when a Ford/Vauxhall/Toyota etc is fine?’ is closed to new replies.