Why do electric loco's get less love?

Home Forum Chat Forum Why do electric loco's get less love?

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Why do electric loco's get less love?
  • project

The problem now is all the new trains for passengers are just buses on bogies, no prime mover(loco) at the front no design skill needed draw a box , mark some windows and cover in pretty vinyl, so you can hand them back for re hire when you fail to make enough cash.

The HST and APT P, where the last classic pasenger trains, with the class 442 coming 3rd.

munrobiker

Oooft, not seen a 442 before. That is an atrocious looking thing.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Aka the Plastic Pig!

PJM1974

The problem now is all the new trains for passengers are just buses on bogies

They’re eye-wateringly expensive though. My season ticket for a month could pay for several Hornby train sets.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

They’ve got expensive too. A DCC sound equipped Hornby loco is well over £200 with plenty of wagons being over £30 each too! Not just bikes where prices have risen significantly!

oldboy

Big steam fan here, but the old Woodhead line held special childhood memories. The sight and sound of a double headed coal train exploding out of the tunnel at Dunford Bridge was something to behold.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Class_76_locomotives_76033_and_76031_at_Woodhead_on_24th_March_1981.jpeg

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Munro Biker wrote:

I must admit to only really being interested in steam or modern diesels, I run a 156, 66 and a 67 on my Scottish layout (as well as some special steam in the form of the Jacobite).

You do realise those are all actually electric?

project

Just reading a book now, Factory of Dreams, about the creation of Meccano and Hornby,and demise of the factory at Binns road Liverpool, by a chap called Mr Hornby, great book lots of pictures and social history that was almost lost when Mecano went bust in the late 70,s.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Subscriber

A lovely little electric train, runs from Cercedilla up to Cotos in the mountains to the west of Madrid:

You can take your bike on it on Sundays, too 🙂

project

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLGBRT2EvEY[/video]

The fastest steam train in WALES, faster than Flying Scotsman.

13000 horsepower!

munrobiker

aracer – Member

munrobiker » I must admit to only really being interested in steam or modern diesels, I run a 156, 66 and a 67 on my Scottish layout (as well as some special steam in the form of the Jacobite).

You do realise those are all actually electric?

Dammit, I just bought 800 tons of coal for the B12 😡

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Why do electric loco's get less love?’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top