Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Why do electric loco's get less love?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

There’s been a few threads on here over the years about diesel and steam locomotives. Often, these threads prompt gushing, almost romantic, descriptions and lots of fond memories.

But what about the electric locomotives? They hardly get a sniff!

What’s not to love about the mega powerful dc motors, regenerative braking systems, insanely powerful control electronics, and pantographs etc.?

One of my favourites:

legend
    Free Member

No noise

/thread

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cos they’re taking fork servicing jobs from human locos?

Harry_the_Spider

They have no soul. I went to see Mallard and her 5 surviving sisters at York last year and the soul was literally dripping off them. So much so that I had to dunk my lad in Swarfega afterwards (not a euphemism).

wwaswas

It’s like trying to get excited about an electricity substation on wheels 😉

I think there’s no real drama with electric loco’s. Steam just feels so much more involving and you can see most of the moving parts.

ononeorange

No smoke and smells.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dwayne Dibley!

binners

They’re the George Monbiot of mass transport infrastructure. And everyone hates George Monbiot

woody2000

Are we talking out and out electric, or diesel electric?

Deltics are awesome, certainly no lack of noise/smells there!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZKFwSFxh0Y[/video]

derek_starship
    Free Member

Woody – I was referring to pure electric.

How can you not get excited about 600 Amp IGBT stacks driving 3000hp of electric motor?

*shakes head*

Defender
    Free Member

What Harry the Spider says, Steam loco’s need coaxing into life, Diesels have that growl when taking off and howl when running fast.
    Electric is somehow more remote perhaps due to their dependency on being supplied power from external sources?

scaredypants

I don’t like saniflo much; they seem to block a lot

Those Japanese things that polish yer arse for you sound ace though

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

They’re the George Monbiot of mass transport infrastructure

Politically correct, yet with facts that don’t add up?

these are pretty cool

one of my least favourite

ahwiles
    Free Member

because they need all this crap hanging around in the sky;

mrmo
    Free Member

because the the UK is full of backwards looking NIMBYs who long for the days when the maps were covered in pink?

derek_starship
    Free Member

ahwiles: “crap hanging around in the sky” – Pah! The railway catenary is a thing of beauty and demanding engineering. Like a high flux tapestry in 3D.

wwaswas

because they need all this crap hanging around in the sky;

or just a third rail;

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

however the most common standard for mainline services is now 25 kV AC using overhead lines and the 750 V DC third-rail system used in southeast England and on Merseyrail

No they don’t.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Ahh the 3rd rail…for the braver kids out there 😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

This is a bit of a coincidence as I was considering the exact same thing last night whilst waiting for my train. The train before mine is electric and when it pulled away almost silently I thought if I was a train mechanic I’d rather work on the diesels… depsite the fact that they are noiser and smell. The lack of moving parts and vibration is what I feel is missing from Electic motors, they are just too.. well.. eh…Clean! yes that’s it.

project
    Free Member

Class 20, 37, 40,45,46,50 52,55 and the 47, all made great sounds lots of smoke,sliding wheels etc, elecy ones just transformers on wheels connected to a copper catenary wire for fuel.

No sound of accelaeration or working hard,no clattering etc.

derek_starship
    Free Member

No sound of acceleration or working hard,no clattering etc.

I like that whump, whump, vooooom on departure. Sounds like a 1000 Amp arc welding kit is going to self destruct. Rate of acceleration is impressive too. And loads of clattering – same steel wheels on steel tracks!

D0NK

Bloke Trumps innit*, older is always better**, spitfires are better than euro fighters, triumph stag better than an mx5, vinyl is better than tape cd mp3 and flick books are better than bluray.

*dunno if this is to distance ourselves from boyhood where newer/faster/better is best.
    **could be complete bollocks.

njee20
    Free Member

Class 92 FTW – the (intended) Channel Tunnel freight locos, basically two locos in one.

Not to mention:

There’s an effortless speed which is particularly pleasing with electrics, and I can confirm that if you’re stood on a station platform a passing TGV doing 186mph makes a lot of noise.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

they are just too.. well.. eh…Clean! yes that’s it

Don’t worry, plenty of pollution was produced during the production of power at the coal fired plant that runs the electric line.

bigyinn
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger – Member

however the most common standard for mainline services is now 25 kV AC using overhead lines and the 750 V DC third-rail system used in southeast England and on Merseyrail

No they don’t.
    Explain please? Ok the third rail voltage can get as low as 630v (or it used to be be. IIRC W of Pribright Junc).

Also njee20, the TGV pic is of the prototype gas turbine set (no pantographs).

If you want drama, you obviously never travelled behind one of these:-

Cant beat a blast behind a roarer!

mikey3
    Free Member

When I was I kid trainspotter you had 20’s 33’s 47’s 50’s etc(I,m trying to say that most had a different shape I guess!!!).Now when I see a train pass they all look the same,maybe it’s because I,m not 12 anymore:)

project
    Free Member

Would the Titfield Thunderbolt and St Trinians great train robbery films be the same with electric trains

NO,because they have no character.

The only decent elecy trains where the ones on the Manchester – sheffield, via woodhead line, and the classes 81 to 85.

hot_fiat

No soul eyh?

njee20
    Free Member

Also njee20, the TGV pic is of the prototype gas turbine set (no pantographs).

We’re getting geeky now 😉

It’s not though, it’s a TGV Atlantique – they run using the pantographs on the trailing power car, the gas turbine one was based on a Sud-Est unit, was orange, and didn’t even have the pantograph well.

No soul eyh?

Ah yes, the Krokodil, the Rhaetian railway still bring their narrow gauge one out for special occasions:

If you want drama, you obviously never travelled behind one of these

Even once the 85s had departed the 86s still do a good job of bursting into flames for a bit of entertainment.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

All trains are cool. Some trains are a bit cooler than others though… The POS cl 150/155/158 or if I’m really unlucky, cl142 I’m about to wander over the road and get isn’t very cool. Still a bit cool though.

jools182
    Free Member

vs

that’s why 🙂

midlifecrashes

Nice article here on railways being phased out as high speed lines go in. Great little website too, every article a gem.
    http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2013/12/high-speed-trains-are-killing-the-european-railway-network.html

CountZero

mrmo – Member
    because the the UK is full of backwards looking NIMBYs who long for the days when the maps were covered in pink?

🙄
    It’s the whole world of difference between a machine that moves through direct human input, ie shovelling fuel in, has many, many moving parts, and looks particularly dramatic when working hard, compared to diesel-electrics that are pretty much all anonymous metal boxes that look no different at rest and at speed.

Is it moving? God knows, the driver might have stopped for a pee.

I think it’s perfectly clear that this one’s moving…

MSP

See this electric bike, it’s virtually standing still.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRrKhFAlaRw[/video]

munrobiker
    Free Member

I think it has a lot to do with how common they are, or rather aren’t. I see diesels almost every day, lowly 156s and 158s or big old 66s and 60s, fast HSTs or horrible old pacers. Aside from the 225 and the frankly bogging 321 and 333 I don’t see any, so can’t get too attached to them. I do have a soft spot for the 92 but have only seen 3.

I must admit to only really being interested in steam or modern diesels, I run a 156, 66 and a 67 on my Scottish layout (as well as some special steam in the form of the Jacobite).

IanMunro
    Free Member

What’s not to love about the mega powerful dc motors, regenerative braking systems, insanely powerful control electronics, and pantographs etc.?

It’s much like the comparison between open fires and simulated flame electric heaters in the home.
    Nothing beats burning stuff.

njee20
    Free Member

I think it has a lot to do with how common they are, or rather aren’t. I see diesels almost every day, lowly 156s and 158s or big old 66s and 60s, fast HSTs or horrible old pacers. Aside from the 225 and the frankly bogging 321 and 333 I don’t see any, so can’t get too attached to them. I do have a soft spot for the 92 but have only seen 3.

Dunno. 3rd rail EMUs are virtually all I see, doesn’t mean I like em though! In the main they are bland and utilitarian, which is why they don’t evoke much emotion. I do like 442s though.

Good to see a fellow n gauge modeller too!

project
    Free Member

442,are a stretched mk 3 coach same as used on the HST and loco hauled trains, but feature second hand electrical gear from older emu,s.

They do look good though, to long to get up here, cant go round the corners due to length it appears. W e also have limited 3 rd rail to power them.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep and with (badly fitted) plug doors! Many years ago I got a cab ride in 2402 from Woking to Southampton when my dad got called to deal with an emergency. Happy times!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Why do electric loco's get less love?’ is closed to new replies.