Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Why do dogs have tails?
  • AndyF1
    Free Member

We are still evolving as it everything else,the appendix will prob be gone in a million years or so..not next week. Unless youve burst it.

PePPeR

To get broken lots and lots whilst out hunting and to cost the owner lots in repair bills (if you have an undocked working springer)

flap_jack
    Free Member

Appendix holds onto bacteria to re-infect guts after D&V events. This bacteria can get over-excited, bursting appendix and owner. No successful mutation (yet) with competitive advantage.

This is an idea, not proven fact, but seems plausible.

slowoldman

Is it so they can wipe their bum and sniff it just in case no other dogs are around?

piemonster

Eggs first, chickens second.

slowoldman

Yes I had eggs for breakfast and roast chicken for dinner.

aracer
    Free Member

Evolution would not get rid of something if there was no advantage – it would get rid of something if there was a DISadvantage. Subtly different.

So what you’re saying there is that if it’s not less than it could be equal as well as greater than? I suppose there is the possibility that having a tail is null.

samuri
    Free Member

still have tails too! Albeit eensy weensy teensy ones.

Speak for yourself fella.

Anyway, dogs have tails because they’re fricking ace. The only thing our cat uses her tail for us to say ‘I’m right pissed off’, which she does all the time, because she’s a cat.

mudshark
    Free Member

Animals that live in the dark become blind over the generations.

lerk
    Free Member

Animals that allow inferior specimens to continue and procreate through an advanced understanding of biology and chemistry make a mockery of a previous member of their species theorems of evolution…
    😀

aracer
    Free Member

That’s based on a flawed understanding of natural selection, lerk. Looking at things from a purely Darwinian perspective, in a society which enables all above a certain health threshold to reach the age of procreation, those which conserve their resources by doing the least possible are the fittest.

anagallis_arvensis

We are still evolving as it everything else,the appendix will prob be gone in a million years or so..not next week. Unless youve burst it.

I doubt it will. Reproductive success would need to be seriously reduced for it to go. Why is cystic fibrosis still around?

theotherjonv

I don’t know, but I’m glad they do. A dog without a waggy tail isn’t half as much fun, particularly when the wag is so vigorous it makes the whole dog vibrate!

Plus, my dog likes to chase her tail for our entertainment, and then get so dizzy she wanders off at an angle and into the kitchen cabinets. Never fails to amuse.

anagallis_arvensis

My dogs been known to wag her tail so hard into things its started bleeding, they take ages to heal!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Why do dogs have tails?’ is closed to new replies.