Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Why do disk rotors use torx bolts?
  • Northwind

Also, security torx! **** off with your security torx! They’re no deterrant at all to thieves, because you can buy the bits over the counter or just hammer out the stud with a screwdriver. But for owners who’re halfway through a job and find a pain-in-the-ass fastener they’re a total pain. Security my ass, they’re “owner-irritating-torx”

KonaTC

Factories like them as they are easier for robots to use

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve found that you can use a size too small on torx bits and it will still work, but is much more likely to round off of course. A size too small in hex won’t work at all.

Perhaps all the rounders are inadvertently using the wrong size?

_tom_
    Free Member

The torx bolts in my shimano slx crankset stripped out despite me using the correct size bit. Made.of cheese apparently. Utter shit. I still have half a granny bolt stuck in mine as I had to saw the head off. Probably could’ve sent it back for warranty but couldn’t be arsed with the hassle tbh.

samuri
    Free Member

A size too small in hex won’t work at all.

Two much smaller hex keys will though. 😉

bails

The torx bolts in my shimano slx crankset stripped out despite me using the correct size bit

Mine were the same. Brand new crankset and i tried to remove the chainrings, they’ve been torqued to a million nm and then superglued in place. Three came off eventually but I had to saw the fourth one out.

GrahamS

I still have half a granny bolt stuck in mine as I had to saw the head off.

Based on my experience (with the hex disc bolt sheared off in my hub) leave the whole thing soaking in plenty of WD-40 overnight. Then very carefully drill straight down the very middle of the bolt and use a reverse-threaded Easy Out to remove it.

unknown
    Free Member

I’m waiting on them bringing out a bolt half way between hex and torx, 27.5 style.

_tom_
    Free Member

Graham, would that work with the hollow chainring bolts? Its not a huge problem given that I’ll probably only ever ride 1×9/10 but itd be nice to get it out I guess!

benji
    Free Member

Another question is why not use RIBE, none of the taper problems that you get with torx, but with the same amount of engagement.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Reverb clamp is the one that annoys me.
    Dig out Allen key, adjust position of brake lever, adjust shifter position, great, same size Allen key. Adjust reverb remote clamp……blox, effin torx bolt. 👿

GrahamS

Graham, would that work with the hollow chainring bolts?

Probably – depends how much material there is for the easyout to grab onto. You are basically just screwing in a reverse-threaded V-shape that will inevitably get stuck and provide some purchase to unscrew the bolt. But I guess there is a chance it might just split or deform a hollow bolt.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m waiting on them bringing out a bolt half way between hex and torx, 27.5 style.

Apparently that’s what everybody is asking the bike companies for.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

If youre rounding off T25 torx bolts it really is time to step away from the toolbox. Theres no hope for you.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Why do disk rotors use torx bolts?’ is closed to new replies.