Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • why do avid elixir r brake levers push forward and stay there until pulled back
  • mrbump
    Free Member

ive just built a bike for a freind with avid elixir r brake and the lever pivot is elongated to alow the lever to be push forward and hold there until pulled back and it returns to origanal position.i cant seem to find out why it does this and i am a bit concerned that it could be push out accidentally and not be in the correct postion for braking.

Lifer
    Free Member

I always thought is was so they don’t get damaged if they get caught on something, my Juicy 5’s were the same.

jimw
    Free Member

AS above- I have had elixir R on my Trek for past two years- never had an issue in use, in fact they have been very powerful, easily modulated and completely reliable

JohnnyPanic

I’ve got the CR’s and they’re the same. One side can be pushed forwards abd stays there until you pull it back. The other side will move forwards under pressure but then moves back into position on it’s own. Until recently that is. Now they both stay in the extended position until pulled back. Begining to get on my t!ts. Have to download the manual & see what it says.
    Good brakes apart from that.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

I always use this function to lock the levers out, so I don’t accidentally push the pistons out when the wheels are off the bike.

Pretty sure that’s what it’s for, as well as protecting the levers in the event of a crash…

Lifer
    Free Member

I always use this function to lock the levers out, so I don’t accidentally push the pistons out when the wheels are off the bike.

That makes sense, never thought of doing it though!

GW
    Free Member

it’s “maintenance mode” RTFM FFS! 🙄

JohnnyPanic

You know, I’ve been meaning to RTFM for a while now & just jumped onto this thread when I saw it. However, I’ve grabbed the user & tech manuals from Avid & no mention of “maintenance mode” in either.

Are you sure you’ve RTFM?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I thought it was for the same reason as Proline say’s above.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘why do avid elixir r brake levers push forward and stay there until pulled back’ is closed to new replies.