Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Why do average sized men wear badly fitting trousers?
  • IHN

Having spent most of my life as a lanky streak of pi$$, I understand that it can sometimes be difficult for the non-ordinarily proportioned gentleman to buy trousers that fit well, and I often have to rustle through the rack for a while to find the pair with the right combination of waist and leg measurement. Often that combination won’t exist in the style that I’m after, and I have to grudgingly accept that.

However, if you’re a normal sized chap, say 5’9″ with a 32/33ish waist, your choices are basically limitless as that is the average size of trouser.

So why do I see so many normal sized chaps wearing trousers that are flapping around a good couple of inches above their ankle? How do they manage to do that? If they just closed their eyes and took a pair at random from the rack, they’d probably get the right size. It must take at least the same amount of effort for them to find a trouser that fits badly as it takes me to find one that fits well.

I don’t get it, and it troubles me.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Dunno. I’m roughly the same shape as a chimpanzee.

Long arms, long torso, short legs.

Finding socks with fingers is a pain in the ass as well

Gary_M
    Free Member

So why do I see so many normal sized chaps wearing trousers that are flapping around a good couple of inches above their ankle? How do they manage to do that

It’s in fashion with the yoofs. My son wears silly short trousers.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Because real men don’t do clothes shopping, they rely on female family/friends to guess sizes and buy for them. 😉

RustySpanner

Drac

Can’t say I’ve noticed myself.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Artisan trousers?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s in fashion with the yoofs. My son wears silly short trousers.

This, current style seems to be to have them so they’re the right length stood up (with really bright socks), whereas 10 years ago they had to have a slight crease over your shoe (and boring socks).

aP
    Free Member

I have some trousers which are short, and they’re supposed to be. But then they’re of French origin.

wwaswas

I blame Pee Wee Herman.

johndoh
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve noticed myself.

This – rarely see anyone in ill-fitting (unless deliberately so) trousers.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Also apart from my son I’ve also never noticed it, I tend not to look at mens trouser department 🙂

footflaps

So why do I see so many normal sized chaps wearing trousers that are flapping around a good couple of inches above their ankle? How do they manage to do that?

Stops you getting sweating ankles…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I blame the penguins, nasty little gits..

fasthaggis

So why do I see so many normal sized chaps wearing trousers that are flapping around a good couple of inches above their ankle? How do they manage to do that?

Were they called Olaf ?

Pyro

However, if you’re a normal sized chap, say 5’9″ with a 32/33ish waist, your choices are basically limitless as that is the average size of trouser.

Cobblers. I’m just about bang on that – 5’9″ with a 33″ waist – and can’t get decent trousers that fit nicely for love nor money. The problem is that I have the thighs and backside of a front row forward / sprinter so I have to go up a waist size to find something that fits over my junk. Which then pushes me up into the next leg length size as well and therefore either have to have trousers taken up or just deal with fabric being bunched around my ankles.

However, frankly, this is all easily alleviated by a total and utter failure to give a toss. I gave up giving a hoot what anyone else thinks about how my trousers fit a long time ago, if I pull them on and they don’t either a) fall down too quickly, or b) cut off all blood supply to my gonads, then they’ll do.

stevextc
    Free Member

1) Many of them are probably not ….

I’m 5’10” and a 28″ waist but assistants will always start off assuming I’m 32/34″
    Equally I’m a 42″ chest and most assistant will be sure I’m 38-40

I usually humour them on jackets… its pretty obvious when I try and put it on…. trousers it’s more hassle

2) I can’t get most 32″ over my thighs … (and my thighs are not exactly huge…. just “weekend warrior cycling”) let alone 28″…

So if you see me… I’ll have ill fitting 32/34″ I can barely squeeze my thighs and gluts into….

Onzadog
    Free Member

Given the fashion seems to be for flat fronted trousers currently, anyone with glutes and quads seems to struggle irrespective of height or waist size.

Leg length is a no brainer though. I have no desire to see your socks.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m always jealous of people with strangely shaped bodies and tiny / huge feet. Whenever you visit the sale pages of a clothing website, those sizes are all that’s left!

wwaswas

Given the fashion seems to be for flat fronted trousers currently, anyone with glutes and quads seems to struggle irrespective of height or waist size.

I went to buy a suit at a local shop that has their own made (mod styles) – was told ‘if you’ve ever ridden a bicycle our trousers won;t fit you’. It was true even a 4″ larger waist and the trouser legs were tight enough the frotn crease was flattened because they were tight.

Bought some ‘atlas’ legged (‘for those who work out big time’) jeans and they just about fit my thighs.

johndoh
    Free Member

but assistants will always start off

Get you, Mr Flash.

I just go to TK Maxx, hold up a few things that look like they’ll fit and try them on at home. Can’t remember the last time I employed the use of an assistant!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can’t remember the last time I employed the use of an assistant!

😯

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″, 32″ waist

My trousers fit just fine

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’m with Onzadog on this one, its the Quads and Glutes and Calves that are the issue for me.
    With these skinny/fitted crap that’s about now its getting harder and harder to find ‘nice fitting’. If they fit my waist then usually the thigh area is pretty tight and don’t start me calf area. .

I will however bring up the fact the Mrs bought me some ‘stretchy’ jeans. Cue much laughter from me when she showed them to me……..after breaking them in (all jeans needs breaking in a little) they have become my #1 pair of jeans. They conform to her idea of fashion (my idea is ‘comfy’ hence jeans and hoody every day) but don’t feel like I’m wearing a pair 3 sizes too small.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Solved this by wearing Prana Axiom jeans and their Bronson pants.
    That or any ME/MH/Decathlon/Rab ones.
    Shirts on the other hand
    Are a total mare!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Caught myself* doing a “WTF” the other day when I saw two lads exiting a hotel where they were obviously at a wedding. Tighter than toight suits, slacks above the ankles, no socks!!!! 😆

*I try not to ridicule the youth trends as it just makes me a grumpy old flecker but these two did look a sight.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ciao bello..

I went for a fitting today…

RustySpanner

That’s a terrible shade of brown and you should really rub something into it to improve it’s condition and give it a more youthful appearance.
    Something that old is worth looking after.

I like the chair though.

funkmasterp

Is that Tom Jones in that picture above?

rmacattack
    Free Member

i don’t understand how people can wear no socks. ever smell a pair after a days use, well that sweat is now inside your manky boat shoes.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

i don’t understand how people can wear no socks. ever smell a pair after a days use, well that sweat is now inside your manky boat shoes.

Invisible socks or shoe liners – once the preserve of wimminz only but now available for the boyz too.

RustySpanner

Decking oil?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

fashion has changed.

Back in the day of going out, you always wanted your trousers a bit hunched up at the bottom, heaven forbid anyone should see your socks or legs!

nowadays there is more emphasis on, especially footwear and to a degree socks of showing them off, they are fashion statements in themselves.

also the trousers free of the shoe area are likely to stay more pristine.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That tans from all the surfing I’ve been doing 8)

No cycle tan for me this year..

wrightyson
    Free Member

At 5’10” I fit right in to your average man category, however I’ve always hated trousers with any break at the shoe and have always had suits/smart trousers altered to that style, slim leg and no break is all I’ve ever accepted. If not I go for a few hipster rolls at the bottom of my jeans.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Back in the day of going out, you always wanted your trousers a bit hunched up at the bottom, heaven forbid anyone should see your socks or legs!

when i was at school having ‘ankle swingers’ was about akin to fancying your sister; probably worse.

frankconway

When I saw the thread title, first thought was – HebTroCo….again.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hem of trousers just above the top of the sole at the heel. Slight break above the laces.

andykirk
    Free Member

I’d rather my trousers were too short than too tight.

The sight of men in their silly tight trousers gives me the boke.

Bring back the days of baggy. It will happen. Please let it happen soon.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

For some odd reason, I find it very sad to see anyone with trouser that are too short. Did NO ONE say anything at all?!?

There were a couple of cases at work today. Desperate

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Why do average sized men wear badly fitting trousers?’ is closed to new replies.