Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Why didn't 69er (bikes) take off?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Seemed like a good idea to me.

oldgit
    Free Member

Don’t know. I had one, it was good apart from a problematic EBB.

Does seem a good idea, accelerates and rolls.

rOcKeTdOg

Take 2 tubes onto the trails? I love mine though

mtbfix

Aesthetics? They did look odd and probably difficult to explain to the man off the street. I enjoyed mine for the time I had it.

ampthill

Hated by both camps?

Nick Clegg causing everyone to hate the middle way?

More seriously until I saw one I assumed they’d make the unsuspended wheel bigger and the one that needs to be turned smaller 😳

qwerty
    Free Member

I really like the idea, especially for rigid, 15″ frames.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Half the advantages of both wheels sizes. Basically, I think they were to wean people into the idea. Is anyone still making one? I can’t see the point myself. Big wheels? Yep. Little wheels? Yep. Why mix them?
    Do. Or do not. There is no try. 🙂

Napalm
    Free Member

Love my Trek 69er; it’s a keeper. Rolls & accelerates – great combination.

tonto
    Free Member

Oldgit – it must be you, that carver is still running well four years later 🙂

Bing
    Free Member

Lovin all of mine, everyone’s asking why would you – why wouldn’t you?

ampthill

Funnily enough all the bikes I’ve ever ridden have rolled and accelerated

endurogangster
    Free Member

One day I hope to build up a dinglespeed 69er, so when I enter events I can claim to be winner in the dinglespeed 69er class!

wobbem
    Free Member

Was seriously thinking about these, they will run fine with a 140mm, 29er fork (emaied them)150mm rear travel with short wheelbase

[/url]

Modified my Prophet to 27.5″ – 29″ instead.(cheaper)

composite
    Free Member

I have a 29er ridgid fork on my P7. I have been toying with the idea of picking up a second hand 29er front wheel just to give a go. Not found one cheap enough yet though, to just satisfy curiosity. 😐

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Love my trek 69er as well, though I’m tempted to go the full 29er route at some point.

sambob
    Free Member

Because 29ers are just fine 😉

Cheezpleez

I ran a 26in rigid SS Inbred as a 69er for a while. I liked it – funnily enough it felt like a halfway house between the 26 and 29 Inbred I have now. The front smoothed things out nicely but the smaller back wheel kept things a bit more nimble and fun. It didn’t roll like a 29er and it didn’t manoeuvre like a 26er but it was a happy compromise. Might go for another one if I get bored with the 29er.

oldgit
    Free Member

Oldgit – it must be you, that carver is still running well four years later

Bugger 😐

clubber
    Free Member

I gave it a go. tbh it just didn’t feel different enough to 26″ to have any point. ymmv of course.

withersea
    Free Member

enjot my trek 69er and wouldn’t mind giving a full suss 69er a try out. I am hoping one day to find new old stock on a trek fuel 69er….shout if anyone has seen any knocking about

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have a 29er ridgid fork on my P7. I have been toying with the idea of picking up a second hand 29er front wheel just to give a go.

Its likely to work better with a 26″ rigid on a 26″ frame,

a 29er fork and wheel are often more than the frame can handle in length. (Some will get away with it.)

andypaul99
    Free Member

What are the advantages of 69ers anyway? (Genuine question)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

What are the advantages of 69ers anyway? (Genuine question)

Rolls over stuff nicely, accelerates quickly. Vs a 26″ and a 29er.

Its just a fun bike,

ahwiles
    Free Member

since it was established that 29ers really are better* – what’s the point of 26ers?

(*well i’m convinced, and that should be more than good enough for you lot)

bikebouy
    Free Member

My mate had a white Trek 69er and he loved it to bits until it got nicked, I rode it around the Dinghy Park a few times and couldn’t quite get my head around it, and to be fair it was hardly the. Right place to play on it.
    And I’m a died in the wool 29erSS kinda bloke..

Pigface
    Free Member

because they dont have wings 😳

IWGMC

Andy-R

I’ve got two Singular Hummingbirds (one SS, one Alfine) and a Trek Top Fuel 69er. Oh, and a Carver too, although my wife rides that more than I do.
    So I suppose the concept suits me, or else I’ve just convinced myself that it does. Either way, I enjoy riding them so that’s all that matters I suppose.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I reckon it could be the solution for people who want more rear travel, like me.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m running my Voodoo D-Jab with rigid forks for the winter. Figured I’d try a big wheel on the front to give it some “give”.
    I love it, tempted to sell the bouncy forks (but I won’t)

PB110048 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

traildog
    Free Member

I rode a Trek and thought it was great fun. I think they didn’t take off because it’s different and people need a strong marketing message to get behind something new and different.

Many of the guys at Trek I spoke to thought it was their best bike but sadly didn’t sell so had to be pulled.

And I still think they should be called 96ers, but then that doesn’t sound so cool. I guess they deserved to fail because of the name. 🙂

will
    Free Member

I don’t think i’d buy one. However as I was running a rigid 26″ it was a cheap and very easy way to get the feel of a 29er.

I still ride it, although it did make me buy a 29er.

qwerty
    Free Member

What are the advantages of 69ers anyway?

Everyones happy 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

Things take off due to Marketing, not due to it being a better product.

The world is littered with shite things that are marketed well.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Hate to appear a fool by asking the obvious, but might someone be able to explain the reason behind the naming convention 69er?

rOcKeTdOg
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

26 front / 29 rear = 69er

All this stuff about rolling better is surely bullsh*t as the little dinky rear wheel that causes so many problems on 26ers will get sucked into big holes still causing rider fatalities etc?

LMT
    Free Member

Really wanted the brown one trek first did, looked a great piece of kit, everyday i have a nosy on ebay just need to find one in a small frame!

psling
    Free Member

Or even 26 rear / 29 front 🙂

Specialized did it with their Big Hit with a 24 rear / 26 front (to make downhill less steep?).

I’ve got a Trek 69er SS, it’s a nice colour. It’s also a nice bike to ride.

clubber
    Free Member

I think that lots of people reckon that 69ers are a good solution because of the Trek version. I think that actually the Trek was just a damn good bike irrespective of it being a 69er and as such, it’s a bit misleading.

MrAgreeable

The reasoning behind the Big Hit was to keep the wheelbase nice and short, and to make a stronger wheel that could survive casing jumps etc.

I still think the bodges used to get a 29″ wheel into an MTB frame (like kinked seatposts) look a bit odd, especially on smaller sizes. However the aesthetic argument goes out the window when you look at the Trek 69er. It’s like a scaled-up version of a trophy awarded to the ugliest bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Why didn't 69er (bikes) take off?’ is closed to new replies.