Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Why did you start cycling?
  • iDave
    Free Member

They’re called country lanes ernie, same as the ones you describe, one car wide, The ‘thinking’ is that they’re just little lanes in the country. Unlike the over-crowded south, we can cope without widening schemes. I came across 2 cars in 25 miles. No idea how I survived.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Bombers! I remember them. Just towards the end of that BMX trend. Sold as cruisers, I think. Not much good for anything, except maybe carrying someone on the crossbar (oh sorry, top tube)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So no “grass down the middle” then ? I feel cheated………I was going to come up and have a look 😐

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

I was seriously into racing BMXs as a kid, and used to put a lot of miles in on the road on tourers too. Got into motorbikes and the cycling fell by the wayside.

Fast forward to being 30 and looking at my increasingly rotund form and thought I needed to do something about my sedentary lifestyle. Went and bought a Claud Butler Alpine to ride to work, and instantly got back into it. Then I went night riding and that’s when it really really got me.

Many bikes and many many good times later, I love it more than ever. Makes me cackle like a demented thing, it does. In fact I’ll be out in’t’ills agin in aboooooooouuuut….. ooooh…. about an hour. WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! 😀

iDave
    Free Member

Yes, there is grass down the middle. I’ll take a photo for you next time I’m out.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ah, now I get it………..a badly maintained country lane ! Why didn’t you say so in the first place ? 😕

What’s the matter with you people ….. don’t you pay your council tax ?

Blower
    Free Member

old man is a roadie,born into it like.

monksie
    Free Member

When I was applying to GMP J, I was convinced they knew.
    They were bad days back then.
    You’re a Grover? I didn’t know that. This changes everything 🙂
    I’ve just done an hour on the turbo. Even that was ace.

Bunnyhop

You’re a Grover? I didn’t know that.

Hee hee, no I was at the Bramhall end, just over the border off Ringmore road, 1988 onwards 🙂
    Turbo is good, not that you need it, you fit cycling God.

grahamh
    Free Member

We didn’t have a car..
    It was the 60’s 8)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It was the 60’s

I’m pretty sure cars had been invented by then.

NZCol

Was doing a lot of climbing, long walks in were dull so got hold of a kona in 1988, realised in 1989 that i enjoyed the ride there/back more than the climbing itself. Bought a better bike in 1989 and have ridden ever since.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just did, all boys cycled in the sixties.
    Saved up my paper round money for my first proper racer.
    The shop keeper happened to run a pro rider and was dead keen to get lads riding.
    When I put down my last £5 and collected the bike, he handed over a free pair of Fiamme sprints on Campagnolo hubs that were the old training wheels of at the time pro rider Nigel Dean…that was the ‘proper’ start I guess.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

As a kid I rode a bike to get about.

As an adult, I had a £200 Claud Butler Ravana that I used to zip about on and we’d just had out daughter. I think I needed to get away so took my Ravana to the Peak district on a ride out of some MTB magazine.

It hooked me even though the gears wouldn’t get me up the hill (and my fitness) and the brakes wouldn’t stop me going down hill!

That was in 2004.

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Why did you start cycling?’ is closed to new replies.